PDA

View Full Version : Storing paint for longer periods

Christian Skeel
03-13-2014, 02:05 AM
When you have a paint mix that you have to avoid from drying here is an easy, effective and inexpensive method.

You need two things: an impuls heat sealer and some vacuum plastic bags.

Weld two pieces of plastic along one side and open them.
Then place the paint in the middle and fold the plastic around it.

Weld side two and push the paint into the corner.
Weld side three and push the paint so it fills out the bag.
Close the bag by welding the forth side

You can use a cut up milk carton for palet.

When using the paint cut off a corner of the bag and squeeze the paint out.
You don't need to seal the bag again. The paint will dry and seal the bag. When you start painting againg remove the dried paint from the bag and squeeze the paint out.

To see images of how it looks you can see it here:

edit: this link was not found - Charlie's Mum

Christian Skeel
03-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Sorry, here is the working link:
http://sensuallogic.com/painters-tools/storing-small-amounts-of-paint.html

ChristyQ
03-13-2014, 11:01 PM
A ziplock baggie works too....

idylbrush
03-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Wonder if this could be done with a food saver unit. Has possibilities.

Babs2
03-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Good idea. I bought 100 very tiny ziplock bags when I was making jewelry (for storing beads) in the craft store by the beads for $2. I bet those might work also.
Barb

susme48
03-14-2014, 08:52 PM
I've used baggies, but they don't seem to last very long...of course it was just small dabs of paint, not much size to it...I don't mix much ahead...:)

Christian Skeel
03-15-2014, 08:50 AM
I have tried baggies and ziplock bags. It doesn't work. The paint change texture and quickly get harder then finally dries.

With the vacuum plastic bags for food and the heat sealer also for food the paint takes months to dry when open and never dries or change texture when closed. I have a test with 0.5 gram paint which has been in its bag for 4 years and it is as good as when I made it:-)

Achilleas
03-15-2014, 09:45 PM
I made myself a wet palette out of a big Ferrero Roche box, that kept the colors wet for one month. Of summer. In Greece. meaning 35-40c. I just had to lift the paper abit and pour abit water to the scotch brite pad beneath.

ChristyQ
03-15-2014, 09:56 PM
I have tried baggies and ziplock bags. It doesn't work. The paint change texture and quickly get harder then finally dries.

With the vacuum plastic bags for food and the heat sealer also for food the paint takes months to dry when open and never dries or change texture when closed. I have a test with 0.5 gram paint which has been in its bag for 4 years and it is as good as when I made it:-)

I've used ziplock bags, the freezer ziplock bags actually, and they worked for me. Stored the paint for well over a year. It didn't dry out at all, no flakes, no crust, all workable.