PDA

View Full Version : New Piece - Parallel Dreams

jimwhalen
03-11-2014, 09:31 AM
THis piece feels so close to being finished...yet it seems to be lacking something...C&C's please.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2014/1121432-1-1-P1040214-001.JPG

Spottters
03-11-2014, 09:59 AM
what is the size Jim? I like it, flipping horizontal is nice as well.

birdhs
03-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Parallel .... I just checked the spelling.... unless, like me, ya jes mispell wards deeliberately....heee heee

now, back to the art in front of me:

If unsure, I print off a copy of my wip and then use acrylics directly on the printer paper to try other ideas. That way I don't mess up the original in case I decide that I don't need to add anything.

Some of our more advanced students also put the photo of the Art into Photoshop and play that way with it. I do that a lot with car phots.

Personally I think this has a balanced softness and peacefulness. Colors are spot-on, too.

but lets hear from ebberwon elst.

tanxfersharinwidus

greggo

jimwhalen
03-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Oh, sorry for not giving the specs; thanks for the heads up Betsy. It's acrylic on canvas, 24"x18"

A pair a lell. My next painting will be of just one lell. lol

Thanks for the paint on the printing tip, Greggo.

Ishka Baha
03-11-2014, 10:18 AM
I think your colours are absolutely beautiful. I am not sure there is anything missing at all. I cropped the left hand side to take away the expanse of yellow which turned the focus on the two figures and IMHO absolutely nothing more could be done to such a great piece. But it will be interesting to see what everyone else has to say because you might not like cropping it and if it is done on a mounted canvas then of course this would not be an option anyway.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2014/1394506-jim_1.jpg

Trier
03-11-2014, 12:55 PM
My uneducated eye likes the yellow so much that I am afraid anything else would detract from it. BWDIK. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Trier

DMSS
03-11-2014, 01:00 PM
I like your painting a lot, and to me it could be finished just the way it is. I see a balanced composition, color harmony, and depth where the underpainting is visible. So, lots of visual interest for my eye. I like Greggo's idea of printing out a copy and playing with additional marks so that you can see what you get before committing on the original.

davefriend
03-11-2014, 01:38 PM
The blues are so incredibly saturated amongst the heat of the other colors. Wow!

abstractca
03-11-2014, 03:12 PM
those colors are just beautiful, the placement works so well also!

jimwhalen
03-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Nikki, I like your crop, it makes a very symmetrical piece. I'm not sure I want to remount the stretched canvas to crop it. However I may do another similar piece in this more symmetrical placement.

Trier, thanks for looking and offering your perspective...the more I look at it the more convinced I am that it is finished.

Dave (DMMS), thanks for your kind words...and yes, I agree, Greggo's suggestion is a great one.

Dave Friend, while I did do something to the blues that I read about, to make them more saturated, my camera (even when it has been white balanced) tends to oversaturate them. Overall this pic is a doggone good likeness of the painting, but the blues are oversaturated here on WC. If you want to see a better likeness, check out the painting here:
www.fineartamerica.com/featured/parellel-dreams-jim-whalen.html?newartwork=true

Here is the technique I used to make the blues mor vibrant. After laying down the initial blues, I went over them with a mix of watered down gesso (about 7 parts water and 1 part gesso) with a tiny dab of Titanium white acrylic paint thrown into the mix, with a very fine brush. After this mix was dry, I layered on several thin glazes of blue.
I have used this technique in large blue areas before, but I had never tried it on such small areas of blue as in this painting. Thanks for noticing.

trufflecat
03-11-2014, 06:17 PM
This is beautiful, Jim. Great happy colors and wonderful texture as always.

I like Nikki's cropping as well. I think because it anchors the upper left grouping to the canvas edge. Barring slicing the canvas(!), my only suggestion would be to add some red above and to the left of the light magenta blob up there. I think that might effectively enlarge that grouping a little and anchor it more to the left edge.

Having said that, I actually think it's great just the way it is.

jimwhalen
03-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Susan. While I like the very symmetrical composition that Nikki's crop creates, the asymmetrical, kind of semi-detached composition of this piece was well planned and thought out, in the hope or expectation of eliciting a response in the viewer. It is my intention that this is more than just a pretty picture...

Ishka Baha
03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Yes, you are so right Jim. Never crop it. I wasn't looking at it properly because the colours are so blinding beautiful that all other subject matter was completely overlooked.

Ol' Don
03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
I really enjoy the texture of the piece along with the color. Thanks for sharing.

trufflecat
03-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Oh this is quite a lot more than a pretty picture. It is a truly wonderfully constructed abstract, something that is indeed very difficult to do and that you always do well. By the way, my husband looked over my shoulder while I was gazing at this and he said - "wow, that's a nice painting!" He does not say that often.

jimwhalen
03-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Nikki, I always appreciate your comments, vision and insight.

Thanks for your comments Don!

Thanks Susan, for your insight and support. Tell your husband I said, "Bless you!" :)

Katie Black
03-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Jim, The colours really do pop wonderfully! I have to agree with you though that it looks close to being finished, but its not quite there IMHO... maybe if you just place it somewhere and look at it for a few days, you will get your answer.

jimwhalen
03-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks Katie. I have it hanging on the wall in my studio....I already uploaded it to FAA, but that can be changed. Thanks again.