PDA

View Full Version : brush bristles left in underpainting

Psalm37
03-10-2014, 08:35 PM
I was wondering if any of you know the solution to avoiding the problem with leaving bristles in the under painting on sanded paper. This seems to happen to me every time I go to paint an underpainting. Then I spent several frustrating minutes trying to carefully (and not so carefully!) fish them out. Sometimes I don't get them all.

I don't want to use my good brushes on the sanded paper because I am sure it might eat up the tips of them. I need a solution because it really irritates me and also I then have these permanent bits on the paper that won't take the pastel.

Any ideas or solutions?

Davkin
03-10-2014, 11:21 PM
What kind of brush are you using? I just use hog bristle brushes and have little problem with that. Yep, they get worn down but that's just the cost of doin' business. :)

David

Psalm37
03-10-2014, 11:31 PM
In the past I have used 2 or 4 inch household painter's brushes or old acrylic brushes that I think might be hog bristle. Today I used a hake and underpainted with watercolor and it was not the thing to do. I changed to an Acrylic nylon brush. I probably need to only use one type of brush and either hog bristle or nylon. I am starting to answer my own question! Ha!:clap:

allydoodle
03-11-2014, 12:49 AM
I use a foam brush or roller, no hairs to contend with.

Psalm37
03-11-2014, 01:09 AM
ah....I have used a foam brush but ended up with bits of the foam in the mix.....that was a nightmare, I could see that a roller would work because there wouldn't be any drag. I need to try that out.

*Deirdre*
03-11-2014, 06:56 AM
I'll have to move this to our Talk section...but, just in case...I'll leave a redirect from the studio/gallery.

Tisiphone
03-22-2014, 02:38 PM
I just bought some bristle brushes myself. Haven't tried them yet so good info here.