PDA

View Full Version : acrylics freezing during shipment

Patrick1
03-09-2014, 05:46 PM
I'd like to order some acrylics online but am worried about freezing during shipment. I live in Ontario, Canada and it's regularly below freezing this time in March.

Golden says their acrylics can withstand 5 freeze/thaw cycles. But do other manufacturers offer this 'guarantee'?

Has anyone ever had problems with acrylics that were previously frozen and what were the adverse affects?

Thanks in advance. If it's too risky, I'll have to stick with ordering oils only for now.

LavenderFrost
03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
I wonder about that too. The only time I ordered paint was from Curry's last April. I think it was pretty cold, but they sent it by Purolator and the paint was fine.

cinderblockstudios
03-10-2014, 03:59 PM
If you're concerned about it see if you can get ground shipping as an option, but I'm sure you have a local art store that sells them.

Patrick1
03-11-2014, 05:02 AM
Thanks - I will be buying from Curry's in Toronto. They have a better selection of materials than any store here in Ottawa. I'm sure by default it will be ground shipping.

Will get a couple of Golden acrylics (and maybe another brand just to see how it holds up in the cold) and several water miscible oils.

Patrick1
03-11-2014, 05:07 AM
P.S. although Winsor & Newton Galeria are not my favorite acrylics, they are on sale now for $2.65 for the 60mL Series 1 tubes. At this price there are several colors I will try out.