GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Kaiteur Falls
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The Kaiteur Falls, Guyana - painted as a commission (I don't get many of those!). I understand these falls have the highest single drop of any falls in the world(?)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Too greeny/bluey? (the reference photo was even worse!)

Wayne Gaudon
09-24-2003, 09:13 AM
think it would show better with a darker less detailed front. the top 3/4 is awesome. Added darks to the trees and front foilage .. what do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2003/5946-lll.jpg

Antoine
09-24-2003, 10:02 AM
I very much like the soft feel of it -especially to the water and top left corner.
A tiny bit of a warm color might be nice –perhaps to rocks or landscape behind?

Andrew Rance
09-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi Wayne - you are absolutely right, and that's how I would probably have painted it given the choice. Just that the client wanted lots of colour in the painting (that wasn't in the original). He seemed happy enough when I gace it to him, but I think he would really have liked sunflowers and parrots in the forground!!

Thanks, Antoine - I take your point. I tried to get some colour into the rocks, but without much success. I guess if you're not really motivated to do a particular painting, then it doesn't work.

Unbeliever
09-25-2003, 02:08 AM
blue
falling spectacle
blue
beautifil
blue
green

pero lane
09-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Really nice Andrew!! Misty and moody!:)

TScottDove
09-25-2003, 02:22 PM
powerful. great mood. agree with wayne, but what u gonna do? at least you got a trip to guyana out of it. oh. rats.

Andrew Rance
09-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Sadly, its the painting that made the trip to Guyana, not me! (the buyer is a work colleague who goes back to G each year and asked me to do the painting as a surprise gift for his family.

Funny to think of it hanging on a wall thousands of miles away....

The more I look at Wayne's image manipulation the more I wish I had painted it that way - go with your convictions, as they say.

Antoine
09-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Andrew,

I know so well what you mean with ‘if you're not really motivated to do a particular painting, then it doesn't work’ I finished a commission yesterday for someone who wanted a painting ‘like the one you did for my friend’ although it was a theme and medium I like, it is hard to guess what they liked in the first one so you keep that, but still make it unique.

Anyway, there is really a special feel to the piece you’ve done and I’m convinced the family would love it.

giniaad
09-26-2003, 11:38 AM
you and I agree with wayne...)

overall...very wonderful atmosphere capture beautifully

congratulations...pleasing clients is a whole other ball of wax
(no matter what line of "work" one is in)

Andrew Rance
09-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Thank you Antoine, Giniaad - but I think I am going to stay away from commissions for a while.....

Andrew Rance
09-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Having said I would not be doing any more commissions for a while, this arrived in the post today (and a similar one last week).

Seems my efforts have been well received, and my patron is pleased with me.....help!!:rolleyes:

jerryW
09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
unless you want him to continue being pleased with you and offerring all those damnable commissions, you have to start sending him letters with nasty comments about his mother.

sure get the feel of big falling water here.

giniaad
09-30-2003, 08:07 PM
you'll be fine...poor thing...
congratulations...and good luck!

(nasty comments about mother would work, though)

Antoine
10-01-2003, 10:21 AM
One would always wonder what a client really thinks – if he comes back for more, you’re in big trouble: he really likes your work.

My sincere sympathy, man!

Ps. When you’ve done the new piece, don’t forget to show us!!

mattlart
10-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by jerryW
unless you want him to continue being pleased with you and offerring all those damnable commissions, you have to start sending him letters with nasty comments about his mother.

sure get the feel of big falling water here.

Perhaps some promiscuous suggestions to his sister in addition might ,..at the very least,.....give him pause.....

Have to agree with the others....,; A lovely atmospheric quality here,..
Love that misty water. The confines of commission work really CAN be a pain in the rump.....

Wayne's changes did have a good, strong effect on the piece...

Nice Job Andrew. Cheers...