PDA

View Full Version : Replicating this effect in acrylics

zeropoint
03-08-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm fascinated by these Keith J. Varadi paintings I've been looking at. They are in oil, but it must be possible to do something similar with acrylics. I am specifically talking about the stained look of the paint. Is it just a matter of thinning down the paint a lot?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2014/1330853-KEITHJVARADI1.jpg

~JMW~
03-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Looks like oil stains, my towels look kind of like that after vehicle projects here..

janinco
03-08-2014, 06:12 PM
This is how Keith explains the process:

I came up with an idea, a process, and a result.

Step one: Make a painting on stretched canvas.

Step two: Stretch raw canvas over the painting while the oil paint is still wet.

Step three: Use different tools (no brushes) to scrape, rub, push the paint through the raw canvas until I am satisfied, or often, more importantly surprised.

Step four: If unsatisfied, or unsurprised by the results, add paint to the surface of the stretched raw canvas (without the use of a brush).

Step five: If necessary, press paintings against each other like awkward bodies at a middle school dance, in a process, maybe most similar to some strange version of mono-printing.

Twice in these steps, I point out that it is important for me to not use a brush in these paintings. I have no ill will towards using paint brushes. I still make paintings using brushes. But for me, these paintings are about me learning how to paint in a new way, to get outside of myself, and to find new results, albeit via results determined by myself.

So far, I have been able to achieve some satisfying and surprising results. When I no longer am able to do so, I will no longer make these paintings, and I will once again, move on.

You might be able to do something comparable with Open Acrylics. Sounds pretty complicated! You could also try rubbing the paint into the canvas, then wiping before it dries with a wet cloth. You would put less pressure the in the areas where you wanted the darker staining when wiping it off. A little wax resist (I use cosmetic grade beeswax) might give you some nice skipping effects.

Jan

zeropoint
03-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Thank you! Should have done some digging.

idylbrush
03-09-2014, 09:05 AM
I am wondering if the paint can be applied on a piece of glass using glazing medium to keep the paint open longer. Or use one of the open products like golden open or interactive. Then lay the canvas down on the glass and use a brayer or spoon to press the canvas into the wet paint. Clean the glass and then do the next layer.

Charlie's Mum
03-09-2014, 09:55 AM
I think Howard's idea ^^^ sound a good one .......... think about how much paint to apply - too much and you'll transfer more than you probably want.

While trying this process above. maybe experiment by adding stuff to the paint - water drops, alcohol drops, string, threads, sand, salt - anything so you can experiment and get your own novel painting!:)

idylbrush
03-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Consider a block printing barren. Might give a better softer transfer than the brayer. A brayer might better be used to distribute the paint on the glass surface.

Achilleas
03-15-2014, 09:50 PM
It looks like combination of printing and drybrush to me

ChristyQ
03-15-2014, 10:01 PM
I've made a painting that I didn't like at all, and I wanted to reuse the canvas. The paint was thick and gobbed on, so if I painted over it, the original would poke out. Anyway, I tried scraping off the paint and it was taking forever, so I tried sanding it by hand, and it was such a slow process.... so then I took a power sander to it, and the canvas looked similar to this painting when I was done. The stretcher bar marks were there, the color that was faded into the canvas was there... and there were some burn marks from putting too much pressure on the sander, but overall it was similar.