PDA

View Full Version : Brands compared

zouavejeff
03-06-2014, 08:23 AM
I'm mostly using India Ink now, but for years I've used the small 2oz Liquitex Acrylics and use them like watercolor on Arches paper. I've also used them for painting on a variety of objects from old milk containers, repro Civil War canteens. Some of the jars have a "Pearl Paint" sticker and are from 1991 and still good. I don't seem to see them as readily available in stores anymore? I was wondering if there is a great difference in quality from what I see in Michaels for instance the "Craftsmart" and others they have there. Will it make a difference?

Thanks for your ideas,

Jeff

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtWatercolorJeff

idylbrush
03-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Each brand name will have it's own set of nuances. Have you looked at the Jacquard line of paints. I would trust Liquitex, Blick, Golden, Smith, Graham, Tri-Art, Matisse, WN, just to name a few. These are all brands I have used with great success. I can't speak for other brands.

Where you might see the difference is in the pigment load. Some of the less expensive brands have a lower pigment load.

The bottom line is that whatever works for you is the best paint.

Unfortunately, this is learned by trial and error.

Charlie's Mum
03-06-2014, 09:14 AM
I use acrylic inks but not of the pearl variety, so can't comment on those ..... but I'd think that something labelled as 'craft' might be a lesser product, pigment-load-wise.
For the use-as-watercolour aspect I really like MagicColor, if they're available in the States.
Like Howard though, I'd recommend the recognisable manufacturers.

PattiLou
03-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Hi Jeff,
When you say they have a Pearl Paint sticker are you talking about the price sticker from the store Pearl Paint? I'm assuming you are and the Liquitex has this sticker on it. The Michael's store here still carries the Liquitex Soft Body. I think the CraftSmart brand is Michael's own brand and I don't think the quality will be the same as Liquitex. If you have a Hobby Lobby or JoAnn Fabrics you might try to find them there. Good Luck.

Charlie's Mum
03-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Oops - reading Patti's reply I think I may be at cross-purposes with you - if you aren't talking about the inks, please ignore my post!!!! :lol:
.. comes from living across the Pond ;)

PattiLou
03-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Well, I have the advantage of having been to Pearl Paint when we lived in Georgia so I know the store. :lol: I may be wrong in my assumption though.

janinco
03-07-2014, 12:47 PM
I am allergic to most acrylics (because of the biocides added) but I do great with Daler Rowney System 3. They are inexpensive and work very well for watercolor style. I don't know how they compare to the other brands, but they seem very adequate for canvas or board. Hobby Lobby carries the line if you want to buy them locally.

Jan