PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Art Journals

Whinnie
03-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Hi, I'm Whinnie, and I have just 'discovered' this amazing forum! I find art journals so inspiring and insightful and would really love to start one of my own. So.....rather than simply lurking....I've decided to jump in and give it a try! There are so many inspiring artists here who so generously share their work, so I hope I will soon get into the flow.
Nervous but excited. I am going to combine my love of watercolours and coloured pencils with collage...and see what happens. I shall soon embark on a 6-week trek to Western Australia with my husband, so a journal of our trip might be a start. I will post some pages here as soon as I can. :crossfingers:

eyepaint
03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Welcome, Whinnie :) Looking forward to seeing your work soon :)

Studio-1-F
03-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Whinnie, a travel journal is the perfect way to get started! You won't be stymied or challenged to come up with subjects and scenes and stories, since every day brings a new adventure. Most important advice: make sure you set aside a stretch of time at the end of the day, maybe in the late afternoon, before you get ready for dinner, to make your art journal entry. Make it a relaxing and welcomed part of your day. Not a chore.

Have fun!! :thumbsup:

Jan

DrDebby
03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Welcome Whinnie. I too look forward to seeing your travel journal. Jan's advice is excellent.

eyepaint
03-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Most important advice: make sure you set aside a stretch of time at the end of the day, maybe in the late afternoon, before you get ready for dinner, to make your art journal entry. Make it a relaxing and welcomed part of your day. Not a chore.
Agree!

Whinnie
03-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Hello 'eyepaint', 'studio 1 F' and 'DrDebby'! Thanks so much for the warm welcome to the Art Journal Forum and especially to Jan for the journal-time tip. That sounds like excellent advice, Jan, as evening cooking and washing/tidying up the van would make it a little onerous to try an evening 'art escapism' time!
We will be 'camping' in our little van as we go.
Since I posted here, I have started a 'home' journal too! When I find out how to, I'll post images of the 3 pages I have made thus far!

Studio-1-F
03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
I had a VW camper van for many many years and enjoyed many many happy days in it. You're so lucky!

More on Travel Sketchbooking here. (http://jan777.blogspot.com/p/travel-sketchbooking-updated-10aug2012.html)

Have a great trip.

Jan

mhimeswc
03-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Looking forward to seeing your travel journal.

My family and I used to camp in a pop-up many years ago, and yes, sketching at night after dinner and cleanup wasn't feasible, but I managed to get some in here and there in the daytime.

Carole A
03-19-2014, 12:08 AM
Oh, how I'd love a small travel van. Nothing fancy or expensive (like my friends' huge motor coach complete with king sized bed). Just a little getaway vehicle. Alas, my husband isn't so inclined. :(

Looking forward to your posts.