PDA

View Full Version : Dragon's Horizon

Delofasht
03-04-2014, 08:06 PM
A little 20 hour painting I did in Sketchbook Pro 6 on my Wacom Bamboo Create Tablet (cheap victory!). I was working on this over the past month and a half and I grew so much during the process that it's largely different from area to area because of my growth. I developed a ton of techniques that will be used as time goes on and discovered the weaknesses of the software as well as it's ridiculous strengths.

Dragon's Horizon Full Image (http://fav.me/d78w9bp)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2014/34519-DragonCliff5-p.jpg

Well, time to continue work on the series. :)

LavenderFrost
03-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Really cool and creative image. Love the glassy look of the dragon.

pixs
03-05-2014, 12:32 PM
very cool and class-c dragon,i think its great to see the work of a new and other artist just starting out and the work that there doing ,it brings back my moments of when i was becoming an artist
you did a great deal of work in your painting, good luck and i look forward to your work down the road...pixs

Delofasht
03-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks pixs and LavenderFrost, the glass dragon is a series I've been working on in my head for years and am just now putting the idea to paper, I've about 5 or 6 more of these I'm going to do. Maybe more if I end up liking it a ton by the end.

Elainepsq
03-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Delo, I'm glad to see you are finally putting your ideas to paper, or to pixel or whatever it is we do. You do a great job here with the glassy texture of the dragon, and the clouds. It feels great to know you've grown from struggling with a painting. Hope we see more of this series.

Elaine

b'anna
03-07-2014, 02:05 PM
This is great! love the design and the idea of a glass dragon!
barb

Delofasht
03-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks barb and Elaine! The understanding of glass came to me at long last, and I wish I could explain it in such a way as to be understood. It's definitely a difficult subject when developed from inside ones own mind, even when looking at reference since you can't get something that looks like this.

JThane
03-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Delo - what an amazingly done painting, that dragon must have been a monumental task that you acheived with stunning results, great job.

BTW - your colors are not that dark, matter of fact the coloring is perfect, will love to see more of your work.

Vj

Delofasht
03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks Vj! It was certainly one of the more challenging pieces I have ever done. I am really relieved to hear it isn't too dark. I think perhaps the value range is a bit too extreme throughout the painting though, going to have to strive to change that in future pieces, keeps it looking too digital in appearance. Which only matters if I plan for it to look more traditional. That is something I am striving to do, mostly because I want to be able to replicate the work in traditional media so as to have an "original" to sell for people who would like them.

JThane
03-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Thanks Vj! It was certainly one of the more challenging pieces I have ever done. I am really relieved to hear it isn't too dark. I think perhaps the value range is a bit too extreme throughout the painting though, going to have to strive to change that in future pieces, keeps it looking too digital in appearance. Which only matters if I plan for it to look more traditional. That is something I am striving to do, mostly because I want to be able to replicate the work in traditional media so as to have an "original" to sell for people who would like them.

I disagree, your work looks traditionally done to be honest, just keep doing what you're doing you're on the right track judging from what you aspire to. What I did to find my way (which I must say the journey never ends) I always look at the old masters approach to certain styles,not to copy from but to nurture the learning curve. Ask your self what would Michaelangelo or Van goh do with this technology? Keep that in mind.

Vj