PDA

View Full Version : The Greenies' Room: March 2014

Charlie's Mum
03-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi everyone - with the added light these days we'd better 'Spring Clean'!!!! :lol: :lol:

We had a glorious spring morning on this first day of Spring - now it's grey and showery - but at least NO SNOW!;)

On my walk this morning I noticed buds on trees are just starting to swell and my daffs are also filling up a bit - maybe not long before they bloom

The wood pigeons are nesting in two of our trees, even though they're easily seen through the bare branches - and Mrs. Woody is sitting on her eggs in one. The migrant blackbirds are fighting the resident ones for nesting and the little birds are around in profusion, so it's all happening!

Have a good first of Spring day and enjoy your weekend:wave:

Antiqueteacher
03-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi gang, just got some SUPER News from Elaine's (noodle1) Daughter.
She say's she actually spoke with her mom today on the phone,
she is still in ICU, but, she spoke clear and seemed to have her wits about her!!!
Lori was so happy, things seem to be improving... It's hard living so far
away when your parents are ill and you have to work etc.......

Great news.....!!!! Thanks, Shar!!

Wheeeeeeee!!!! Great news, indeed!! Go, Elaine!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have returned from my Birthday trip with my cousin and we had a blast catching up!! We looked at pictures, talked about family, tried to identify pictures of relatives that someone forgot to label. . .label all pictures!!! :thumbsup: (Your children might want to know the history and you won't be there to tell them!!) We went to the movies, went to chick places (my DH would have hated!), and shopped until we dropped!! We also ate at Tea Rooms. We had a wonderful time and plan to do this again in another location. Oh, we stayed in a B & B, which neither of us had never stayed, and were the only guests there during the week. . .this weekend, they are packed, so what a pleasure to have the entire house to ourselves as we talked and laughed! It is in Waco and Baylor University is there, so when Baylor has something, they fill up quickly. We did get to meet a Football Hall of Famer while there, though.

Now, I have Birthday cards to read and that is like a cherry on the ice cream!

Hugs, Katherine :music: :music:

justjean
03-01-2014, 12:30 PM
I think Lady Spring decided not to change the date for her arrival here in this part of Canada , it's still snowing :D

Charlie's Mum
03-01-2014, 01:52 PM
:crying: - oh Jean :(

Katherine - the trip sounds like fun indeed - is the throat hoarse? :lol:
Welcome back:D

bluefish
03-02-2014, 09:19 AM
we expect 6"-12" of new snow tonight/tomorrow......

Spring......bah!...humbug!......:D

Charlie's Mum
03-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Ah, sorry to hear that Blue - you'll be blue with cold! ;) (sorry!:D)

bluefish
03-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Mum......may have to borrow Meggs bloomers to warm up.....:lol:

meggs
03-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Well Blue, Im in no need for bloomers at present. still in Australia... Did one of my forebears kill a Chinaman or something??

Friday all set to leave, boarding pass in hand. A passing comment by a friend on UK immigration laws set the cat amongst the pigeons. Quick check with Aus passports and Airline, yes good to go and return... Check with UK consulate in Canberra.. automated message only, call to England, automated message only.. No matter where I went or called, got contradicting messages everywhere... So decides to chance being 3 days shy of the required 6 months. Daughters car breaks down on journey.. after 2 hours on the road side and $500 to get moving again, I decide to err on the side of caution and postpone journey.. $100 to rebook with airline.Take the time to fast track new passport.. Cost.. $375 (worth it not to worry about deported when I arrive at Heathrow.)

Today I find out our Country has changed its laws. As of late 2013 Aus citizens receiving part or full pensions will have their payments suspended if they are out of the country for more than 6 weeks. So....
having already outlaid $2975 and still in the country... I guess its going to be a short stay, considering we are getting less than 53p per aus dollar in currency exchange.... BUGGAR

justjean
03-03-2014, 09:34 AM
by now I would be saying the h... with it and staying home :lol:

bluefish
03-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Ah Meggs.....lol!......you are a nightmare......lol!......I sure hope you get to wear those bloomers in sunny old England!.....all the best to you....I sincerely hope you have a great trip.....you sure deserve it.....:thumbsup:

'blue.....:wave:

Jon
03-03-2014, 02:57 PM
I am not sure if this is the thread to place this link, but when I saw it I thought of the folks in this forum:

"Rebecca Louise Law is known for her breathtaking installations that consist of thousands of hanging flowers suspended overhead."
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/rebecca-louise-law-hanging-flowers

meggs
03-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Aww Blue you can be such a sweetheart. Its funny but its always been like this for my family... Mum and Dad included. I gotta admit, I stress out badly but in the end I make the best of it.

Jean yes, one is tempted to "pull the plug" but I'll be buggared if Im going to be cheated out of this trip AND disappoint my friend. The country and its laws can get knackered, Im going and Im no stranger to living below cheap. The trip is already paid for and as long as I can stay with my friend without disadvantaging her financially, I'll stay as long as I can. I'll deal with the fallout when I get home. Whats the worst they can do with me... put me in jail... Up the lot of them!!!

bluefish
03-03-2014, 09:46 PM
can you still collect your 'pension' while sitting in jail?.....:)

or is that double dipping.....they cloth and feed you while they also are paying you....not bad, if you can pull it off.......as long as they provide internet service also, so we can chat with you......:D

Megsy, you're a real 'sweetheart!'......bring lots of joy and smiles into our lives.....thank you.......:heart:

'blue....:wave:

meggs
03-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Aww Blue, Im blushing..... Hey jail aint so bad over here, why you think so many are trying to get in there. :lol:

Yep they feed you and provide your wardrobe... they even pay you... AND they have ART CLasses...:thumbsup:

Vivien Maloney
03-05-2014, 05:36 AM
Meggsy - You go girl! Have a great holiday! :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
03-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Sorry to read about your awful difficulties with Officialdom Meryl - love your attitude of (pardon the language Blue) "Sod 'em, I'm off anyway!!!!"

England, particularly the south, is warming up this week so hope you find it pleasant!:D

Hi to everyone else - been a tad busy here - and if the drizzle stops, might just get outside to tidy up after workmen who've spent two days cleaning, re-sanding and sealing all our paved areas and drive - (a BIG job) and one I'd have been doing in a few weeks!
Ah!, the joys of property-owning eh? :rolleyes:

But hey! the days are warming a little and the daffs will soon be out - I have a few Tete-a-tete daffs out now, in a pot, and two brave little ones near the garage where it's sheltered.:)

Antiqueteacher
03-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Has anyone heard from our precious Elaine? Know she is improving day by day!! :clap: :clap:

Well, interesting situation here. . .I have inherited two huge boxes of slides from Mother and Dad. They traveled all over the United States for years. Great scenes, I would imagine. . .slides? I thought that I would just simply put them all on the computer, but did not know the extent of the slides. I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment. :eek: Number one: where to store them? and how to get that volume onto the computer? :clear: :clear: Nice problem to have, but, wow! :rolleyes: I did get the slide projectors, too, but would rather have them on the computer. I will find jewels like our children as little ones, etc. It will be a fun adventure when I make heads and tails of the slides. :rolleyes:

Meryl, hope that you are sitting prettily (is that a word?) in England by now!! You go, GF!!

Blue, you are stuck with us now!! :lol:

PattiLou
03-07-2014, 11:48 AM
What fun Katherine! We had some very old movies that we had taken many, many years ago. One day we set up the projector and my daughter used her video camera to film them while they were playing and then we transferred the movies to CD's. The old film was getting brittle. Some scanners have an adapter to scan slides. Our old scanner had an adapter to scan a stack of pictures automatically and also to scan negatives. Good luck with your project.

justjean
03-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Katherine, sister and I inherited a bunch of my Dads slides, my sister took them to a photo place in WalMart and had them put onto cds and it was not expensive :D

Antiqueteacher
03-08-2014, 01:03 AM
Thanks for your advice. Will have to check into both of those. I cannot even imagine how many slides I have. . .but it is two full boxes that are about 2 feet tall, plus some others that were packed with the projectors.

A few years my DH gave me two DVD's with our family movies on them and I just cried. What a sweet gift!! Found some that he had missed and need to get those on DVD's, too. I loved how they did them. . .even though I had them dated, they put them together randomly and I just love it that way. :heart:

:wave: :wave: :wave: Hugs, Peeps!!

Katherine :music: :music:

bluefish
03-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Has anyone heard from Meggs?.....she was getting on a plane to fly to jolly old England but that was the last we heard.....I was upset when I heard of that plane disappearing.....but if I know Meggs, she wouldn't allow that to happen.....:)

Charlie's Mum
03-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Lol Blue - don't think Meggsie would be anywhere near that flight - though it's really tragic that any plane could disappear without trace.

My guess is she landed here, got settled with her friend and they haven't stopped talking yet!:) ....... at least I hope she's made it after all her disappointments and the hassle.

Been glorious weather -warm and sunny and I've been busy cleaning the arbour patio and the stone circle, so now there's just the weeding!
Grass is still too wet to cut unfortunately.
Looking forward to continued good days -we're hoping to get down to Yorkshire on Saturday - :crossfingers:

bluefish
03-10-2014, 11:09 PM
winter hasn't let up here yet Maureen.....won't be cutting the grass for a long time.....a little more snow here on Wed evening...light but north of us, they can expect up to a foot..

I agree, Meggs must be over there somewhere sipping tea laced with vodka, crumpets and tea sandwiches....:lol: sooner or later she'll blossom forth and we'll all here it!...:D

'blue....

justjean
03-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Heavy wet snow here all last nite we have enough for a couple of years :D

Antiqueteacher
03-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Mmmm. . .hate to mention this. . .but. . .I work short sleeves to work at the Mission House in the afternoon. :angel: It was in the low 70's, but felt like Spring! :clap: In Texas, you do not like Winter to leave so quickly because the 100 degrees (F) is waiting just around the corner. It has been nice to have the cold to last for awhile. . .just saying! :rolleyes: (Send all snowballs to Meryl!!! :lol: :lol: )

ELAINE!!! MISS YOU, SWEETIE!!!:cat: :cat: :cat:

Grands are coming tomorrow during their Spring Break, so we are preparing!! :clap: :clap:

Hugs, Peeps!

meggs
03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Here I is folks in UK, a happy little vegemite. Nope Malaysia didnt lose my flight, I took off the day after that happened.. wasnt worried, lightning never strikes in the same place twice in my book. I arrived at 5pm on the Sunday aching and stiff from the last 13 hr leg. Plane was chokkers no room to stretch anywhere..and then another 1.5 hours travel to Gails home. Its taken me two days to get my head on straight..
Must be coming good as Im getting restless and just dragged my paint gear out of the suitcase.

Yesterday was so warm I was wearing a dress, and Im enthralled with the leafless tree's with branches bursting with buds. I dont get to see this at home, so waking each day to more and more blossom is magic for me.

Tomorrow am off down to the open air markets at Pitsea with Gail, a favourite place. Its so lovely to be back, yesterday afternoon, Gails daughter and all the kids came to see me. Tonight Gails Xhusband has cooked dinner for us... I havent met Ron yet in person, only talked to him on Skype. He has been living in Bahrain for years just returned to retire in UK the last 2 years. Its like coming home to family... Love it...

Shirl Parker
03-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Glad you are safe and sound Meggs.

Elaine is still in the hospital but she is out of intensive care. She's not in her room right now, she's off the floor for a procedure. I'll get back with you all with more information in an hour or so.

bluefish
03-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Good news about Elaine......and it's so nice to have 'sweet Meggs' all nice and cozy in the UK.....I'm sure the Queen will have her over for tea!......:angel:

Shirl Parker
03-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Elaine update: I spoke with her and Larry late this morning. She had just gotten back from a procedure and was pretty worn out. After another one this afternoon, she will be discharged and will be going to stay in a warm, cozy abode of a relative. More when I have some news.

Antiqueteacher
03-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Shirl, thanks for the update on our Elaine!! :thumbsup: We are praying for her each day!!

Meryl, glad you have arrived safely and are having an adventure with the blossoms and changes of weather for you! Blue was getting concerned and you were not here to keep him in check! :clear: Keep us updated, Sweetie!! :clap: :clap:

Hugs, Peeps!!

bluefish
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
I wonder if Meggs knowns how to 'curtsy' when she has tea with the Queen?..... :lol:

Sharrm
03-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Heu, that's great news about Elaine. Thank you Shirl for the update. She's come a long ways. I'm sure everyone's thoughts and prayers helped her recovery...:clap:

This past week up our way has been lovely, warm and spring like, high 50'sF to low 60's, though still just below freezing some nights.
We can live with that, still a couple of weeks till the official spring mark up this way, so wer're ahead of the game....

Art wise, my muse is still playing games with me, nothing but some sketches to show, but I've been busy learning some techniques
with videos and online classes....use to be I always had my head in some book
now it's online. I'm always wandering around finding new and interesting things...:D

Oh, and just have to show you a pic of my darling Gdaughter Julia 6yrs, her mom just sent me...taken up at our local ski mtn. Sun Peaks....
Julia is taking ski lessons every weekend....anyways, just love this one :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2014/32965-Julia_6yrs_Mar2014_SunPeaks.jpg

bluefish
03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Oh Sharron.....she is gorgeous.....so cute.....enjoy every minute with her, they grow up so fast.......

great picture......'blue....:wave:

PattiLou
03-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Oh those rosy cheeks and she is a cutie. They sure do grow up fast, my grandson is driving and will be a senior next year. :eek: I just heard my nephew will be in 7th grade next year and I thought he just got out of 2nd grade. Musta missed a few years somehow. :lol:

meggs
03-13-2014, 02:01 PM
I wonder if Meggs knowns how to 'curtsy' when she has tea with the Queen?..... :lol:

Sure do Blue, I can remember practising as a little girl... Its like riding a bike :lol:

Sharm what a gorgeous photo and child..They sure do grow up to fast.

Glad to hear the news on Noods, please pass on my regards if anyone is able to.. she remains in my prayers.

:wave:to everyone

Charlie's Mum
03-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Shar - Jules is a beauty - lookit those eyes!:D

Meggsie - sorry it's turning a little colder over the next few days but you might yet get to wear your coat!:lol:

We're off to our 'Country Seat' on Saturday - to open up and get comfortable, fridge stocked, wine rack stocked (;)) and ready for the splendid Spring and Summer to come (hahaha) ...... hoping the rabbits haven't eaten the daffodils and pansies I planted :eek:.:D
This time last year the whole area was still under 3 feet of snow and they were digging out the newborn lambs - much easier lambing season this year, so longing to see them (don't think about their later stages in life :().

justjean
03-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Sharrm your gdaughter is a beauty thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

My we are getting up in the world talking about ones country seat :lol: Enjoy the little lambs Maureen

Charlie's Mum
03-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Lol Jean - you do realise that's for Blue's benefit don't you? He thinks I take tea with the Queen y'know ;) ;) :lol:
... and I do hope you can imagine the la-di-da voice ;):D

Antiqueteacher
03-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Shar, Julia is such a precious little girl!! Love this photo of her!! Wow, what a capture!!

I am exhausted!! Our Grands are here and we have had a wonderful time, but my body is so tired. . .and next week it gets busy!! :clear: :clear: Think that I have appointments every day next week! :eek:

Elaine, keep improving, Sweetie!!

Maureen, we want pictures of those little lambs!!

Hugs, Peeps!!

justjean
03-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Lol Jean - you do realise that's for Blue's benefit don't you? He thinks I take tea with the Queen y'know ;) ;) :lol:
... and I do hope you can imagine the la-di-da voice ;):D

Yep and one also wonders do you crook your little finger just so when drinking your tea with the Queen :D

it is funny isn`t it when one realizes the difference between languages and countries and their meanings . Being brought up by very English grandparents I knew quite a few of the differences in words and had bubble and squeak for supper lots of times :lol: . but one that really surprised me was the use of the word cottage to describe a home, to me a cottage was a small little unadorned house but over your side of the pond it is a lovely home :D

bluefish
03-15-2014, 08:31 AM
I can see Maureen's book on the best seller list......'The Queen and Me @ Tea' :lol:

a 'cottage' in NJ would also be a small house by the sea or in a woodland setting....nicely decorated, but small.....

and anyone that has a 'summer retreat' must be a member of royalty or upper social status......:D

blue....:wave:

justjean
03-15-2014, 08:59 AM
and anyone that has a 'summer retreat' must be a member of royalty or upper social status......:D

blue....:wave:

Guess that leaves me out cause I live in my summer retreat :lol:

Charlie's Mum
03-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Lol Jean - watching some property programmes here, cottages are suddenly enormous! The one we had when I was in my teens was one room downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs - also built into the hillside it was damp on one side! Outside chemical loo too - drinking water from the spring up the road .... extremely basic but we had some good holidays there!
And.... but of course I crook my little finger when drinking from my porcelain cup!!!!!

Blue - the book's out next year!;) :D

Well yesterday, we went to Yorkshire with hopes of a lovely weekend - the sun was shining, the place was warm as we opened up, lots of others were on the park doing the same thing - lovely!
We turned on the water- good, the boiler for the heating and water - good, switched on the fridge-freezer - NOT GOOD!
When we bought this new holiday home in September the very lovely BIG f/f had a slightly dented door, so that needed replacing, which was done over the winter. Unfortunately, said door doesn't seem to be fitted properly, or there's a fault with it, or there's been a fault created in the replacing of it because the damned f/f emits a continuous beeping sound, as if a door was left open.
Seems to be shut firmly, can't push it in any more, internal light also flashes on/off when we open the door (this in all the attempts to follow the recommended procedure to get the thing to work properly).
Got the park owner to come take a look and see if he had any suggestions.
None.
He did offer us fridge/freezer space if we wanted it but didn't feel inclined to walk down the hill everytime I wanted milk or butter!!!!! (and back up our nick-named 'Heart-Attack-Hill'!)
So we put straight what we could, got the place looking comfortable again and had a quick cuppa for lunch before driving home - DH wouldn't let me drive, so he was shattered by the time we got back.
This morning it took us 40 minutes to get through to the F/f company (Hotpoint service) and explain that an engineer was needed to solve the problem - very annoying when the call charges are 5p per minute and all you're doing is listening to an automated voice saying 'You're call is important ..... keep you waiting only a short while ....' and other platitudes!
They're sending someone out on Thursday and hopefully it will be fixed otherwise there's no point in going back until we have a working F/f. :( :(

Today, here, it's again very windy - gale force and so feels cold so no gardening ........ grrr, feel so thwarted!

Oh yes, and back in Yorkshire, to add insult to injury, the tubs I'd planted on the deck, with pansies and small daffs so we'd be greeted with some pretty colour when we got there, showed NO pansies and only half the daffs ....... the plants had made a tasty meal for the rabbits! Grrr! Now I need to find rabbit and squirrel-proof flowers - they didn't bother us in previous years.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day ......... :lol: (and I need to paint for Diff. Strokes and the Plant Parade!)

Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend :D :wave:

bluefish
03-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Ah, the pleasure of being a two home owner......:rolleyes: ....did that for four years of that was enough....one place is enough to take care of.....

if you have a second escape chalet, allow the butlers, groundskeepers, handymen, cooks, etc. take care of it for you.....I'm sure that royalty has all those pleasures.....why fret Maureen?.:confused: ....just have another cuppa with her Majesty....... :) :smug:

Charlie's Mum
03-17-2014, 10:16 AM
What a good idea Blue - now why didn't I think of that eh? :lol:

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2014/30494-Leprechaun_2.gif

Lady Carol
03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
....one place is enough to take care of.....
Ooh I have to agree. I would feel guilty not being at the other place no matter where I was. But if we had a place in Maui, that could be looked after/rented in a facility arrangement where they serviced it etc between renters, and we visit once/twice a year, I could live with that.

Antiqueteacher
03-20-2014, 11:08 AM
I am with Carol!! :thumbsup:

Blue, I want a copy of the book, too! :clap: :clap:

Hello. . .goodbye! Off for my beauty day. . .hair, toes, nails. . .wheeee!! :wave: :wave: :wave: DH always questions that it will take just one day. . .one of these days I should make it into a week! :angel: :angel:

Sharrm
03-31-2014, 10:14 PM
BOO!!!!!