PDA

View Full Version : The "Goal Post" for March 2014

Dougwas
02-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Doug

Dougwas
02-28-2014, 06:21 PM
I have been having problems with my back and was unable to sit at the easel for any significant amount of time. It was getting very frustrating and I was going nuts. Then I read Robert Genn's letter about him painting while sitting in his recliner. It got me thinking and after a while I came up with the idea of painting with Pans while sitting in my recliner. We mover a larger coffee table beside my recliner. It is 2 feet wide and I can all 4 trays of Pans on it. I also put a small box of sticks together for later stages of painting. I can finish the painting at the easel if needed. I have a Daler Rowney table top easel that sits on my towel covered lap and I am using Pasterbords. It isn't perfect, but I am now painting from two to four hours a day. That is good enough for me.:)

I now feel like I can make goals again and have a good chance of achieving them. It feels good!

My goal for March:

1) Paint for two hours a day.

Doug

Psalm37
02-28-2014, 06:34 PM
I have been struggling with getting into my art room at a specific time. So I have a goal to commit to a full three days a week, 5-6 hours a piece. One day a week will be committed to painting plein air. Also, to get a portrait that I started months ago on it's way to completion.

Mij
02-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Hi Doug, sorry to hear your back is hurting you but happy that you may have found a work-around for it. Not only that but set yourself a goal like that.

Hello and welcome Psalm37, that is a good pseudonym. Also a very long psalm. Some good goals and should keep you busy in March.

I had to smile because you Doug reminded me. One day when I got home I found my two boys with their homework spread across a drawing board laid across the arms of the easy chairs :lol:. They were so used to seeing me work that way with the TV on and it meant I stayed in the lounge with them all :D.
I'll write out my goals tomorrow as I'm a little too tired today.
jim

Judibelle
03-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Doug...thanks for hosting again. So sorry to hear your back is being such a problem. Hope you find painting from your recliner helps....

welcome, Margaret....this is a great thread to keep us inspired. Good goals...painting plein air is rewarding in its own right...

Jim, hope you got a good night's sleep, and not so tired today....

I am starting this month with enthusiasm....not only for art, but for catching up on things I've just been too fatigued to do...
goals: 1. at least one study a week, continuing playing with abstract shapes.
2. at least one Spotlight (redone, to see if I have improved since the first time I did it.)

non-art: get my work areas cleaned up,(both art and otherwise) organized and neat..

Mij
03-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks Judibelle. Yes got a good night's sleep thank you and have written out my goals although I have a feeling I have overlooked something important. Never mind I can always add it.

March 2014 Goals:-

Art Goals:-

Complete an image in each of the mediums Graphite, CP, WC, Oils, Acrylics and soft pastels.
Do some more work on the pastel box.
Attend JV webinar tonight and the last in this series next Saturday.
Attend 3 portrait classes on Tuesdays
Attend a w/shop with JFD on the 15th of this month.

Non Art Goals:-

Go to Wales on a weeks holiday at the end of the month.
Continue the diagnostics of the old computer that is fit the new M/board and switch on, count the beeps.
Attend 2 sessions of archery and a coaching course.
Get myself down to Bexhill and get measured for new arrows for the compound bow ready for the outdoors in April. Go down and pick them up a few days later.
I hope that the feeling of overlooking is unjustified :angel::clear::lol:.
jim

Dougwas
03-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Margaret- Welcome to the Goal Post. Making time to paint is a very good goal. It isn't always easy to find the time, but setting this goal is a great start. Good luck!

Jim- You set a good example for your kids, Jim. It's funny how some kids can do their homework in front of the TV. Our youngest did it all the time, and she was the only one of the three that made the Honor Roll. I can't do it. I need music playing, but no TV.

It looks like you have another busy month ahead of you. Keep mixing the mediums and have fun. Spring is just around the corner (he says while there is about 2 feet of snow outside and they are calling for another 4 to 5 inches tonight:( ) and you have to get ready for your archery. Looking forward to seeing that pastel box.:wink2:

Judi- Glad hear you have your energy back and you are painting again! Paint while the fire is hot. Have fun with the Spotlight paintings. Painting white is always a challenge. I started the eggs today.:eek: Have fun, Judi!!!!

My back wasn't too bad today. I spent a couple of hours working on my watercolor course and then returned to the recliner and started a pan pastel painting. Seems to be working out. The course is through Artist Network and the instructor is Annie Strack. It is just the basics, but I want to start there. I don't want to get frustrated and pack it in. I got my results back from the first session and she was very pleased with my work. I have always wanted to learn watercolor and I am finally doing something about it.

I went to see my doctor the other day for prescription renewals and I told him how my back was more painful than usual. He is sending me for a ct scan to see if there is any more damage. Lucky for me that the ct scan is done in our hospital. When we lived up north it was a three and a half hour drive. Now it is a five minute drive.:)

I hope everyone is painting up a storm!

Doug

aolaranora
03-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Hi to all!

Well, I'm just about brilliantly failed much of what I had planned for February...

Too much of snow I guess... Plus some events in that part of the World where I'm from also keeping me preoccupied and taking away of things I was suppose to do.
Good news - I partially fixed stuff in attic (Partially is the right word for it).
My experiments with pastel grounds went well too... but I'll work even more on those.
I put together show entries (JPEGs) for two exhibits.
I did few small paintings (hey me!)
I didn't finish taxes... figures!

And here is next month already... Hmmm...
Let start all over again.
1)Finish taxes.
2)Try to find time to paint show entry for upcoming Northeast Pastel Exhibition.
3) Do few other whatever paintworks... care less what - just paint.
4) Plant my tomato seedlings.

Doug, sorry to hear about back issue... Any ides on what possibly it could be any way? Did You ever try PT?... My sis has one of her discs in condition what could be called "leftovers". At one time her back was really bad, she couldn't even sleep with all the pain. After therapy (few years ago) she is much better, nothing dramatic any more... Just a suggestion - find out what is wrong and get consultation with therapist. Might just do the job.

Jim, for once You have more stuff compounded in Your month then I do... Good luck with all, especially with JV seminars. I wish I could do few more of those, but too much time-related commitment... I don't know exactly what we may need to do any given day here with all our animals and... weather.

Margaret, I know the feeling... getting that organized is not that easy... Good luck with that. 5-6 hours od daily painting... luxury!

Judy, nice and simple goals what tell me - this one should succeed! I'm not kidding. Just do it and enjoy!

robertsloan2
03-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Oh boy. Last month I did some little bit of sketching but no work on the book or the project.

This month my goals are pretty much the same. Try to get started on the big painting. Work on my book. If I don't work on my book, at least get ready to work on it so I can do it in April for Camp Nanowrimo.

And get started on the big painting. Also play with pastels to warm up. Maybe do the Spotlight since it's so cool. Wonder if Don would mind life sketches of white things set out on my desk? Like a still life of pills and medications, that's got a lot of white things...

Turpintine45
03-07-2014, 02:03 AM
Doug, I well know backs and their problems hope yours resolves itself soon.

Psalm37. good goals and welcome.
Jim, you always set yourself a busy schedule. go for it!
Julibelle, have fun with abstracts and the mess will get done eventually.
Alaranora, Looks like a busy time.
Robert, White is white so I am sure Doug will love it. take care of yourself and good luck with the book and big painting.

Well I am still playing with oil paints but I hope to get a Spotlight done this month as I didn't get one done last month. Two on
'what's on my easel " in oil paint already this month. I also got several pencil sketches done while we were iced in this week. jinx has grown up enough to let me sketch again! So goals keep on doing and hope the ice stays away!

Mij
03-07-2014, 06:04 AM
Hello everybody, isn't the month going by quick.

Tatiana, looking down your list always make me tired. I find that your goals would be a lot more pressing than mine.
It's the fact that I am retired and have no work to go to that allows me a freehand to concentrate on whatever takes my fancy. Being older has its advantages.

Doug we had a first, and I thought the last day of spring, the day before yesterday but yesterday it repeated itself today we are back to the grey stuff! Never mind we are used to that. You say you still have the white stuff? Well you can keep that as much as my grand children would love it.
I hope your scan proves what they can do something to ease your pain/discomfort.

Hi Robert, well just repeat last month's goals if you can. Ok on the white 'still lives' on your desk, I've seen tubes of paint and paint keys etc used as models so I'm sure Don will go along with those :lol:.

Hi there Jen. You did well to get a couple of oil paints done already. I'll pop over there to see if I can find them. I cannot remember Jinx? Was that a meower or a woof woof?

I'm hoping to make the archery shop today and get the arrows for my compound bow ready for the April outdoors session.
Nothing done on the pastel box yet Doug but a lot of the month still to go.
Jim
PS Just been to the oil page and the thread 'what's on my easel' and seen your farmhouse and boat Jen. Well done on both.

keepingpure
03-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Hello everyone! I've been pretty scarce the past couple weeks, but here I am now. The thread for February goals is closed, but I thought I'd go ahead and put my accomplishments here.

-------
1) Find/use a new technique (preferably that is out of my comfort zone) in at least one of my paintings this month. :thumbsup: (The February Spotlight)
2) Complete a "February Spotlight" picture. :thumbsup:
3) Do at least three smaller pictures. :(
4) Work on at least one animal picture. (I'm thinking wolves or Labrador Retrievers for a gift) Ouch! That will be another one WAY "out of my comfort zone"! :(
5) Start on (try to finish!) one larger painting.:thumbsup: (sent it to an art showing, and SOLD IT!!!)
6) Experiment with different kinds of paper. :thumbsup: (I LOVE my sanded paper!!!)
7) Try to get a couple pictures framed and up for sale at a local restaurant that supports local artists. :(
8) Get my wrist healed up quick so I can use my new pastels!!!!! :( :thumbsup: (Well, my entire hand is still in a cast, and will be for a while yet, but I've been working with my left hand, and have been using those pastels!)
---------

Goals for March:
1) Find/use a new technique (preferably that is out of my comfort zone) in at least one of my paintings this month.
2) Complete a "March Spotlight" picture.
3) Do at least three smaller pictures and one large.
4) Work on picture of Labrador Retrievers for a gift. (MUST be finished by March 31st!) This will be a tough one!
5) Finish two paintings I started last week.
6) Order more paper and spacers for framing my art.
7) Start on a painting for a wedding gift.

Doug, I'm sorry to hear about your back. Young as I am, I can identify since having bad whiplash (vollyball accident). changes in weather really make me feel it too!

Great goal, Psalm37! I may be getting to that point soon myself! I can't wait till the day I have my own art studio!

Hmm, interesting idea, Judibelle. Now I'm going to have to try doing the same spotlight twice in a month to see if there's a difference. Thanks for the idea!

I like your goals, Jim. I hope you didn't overlook anything important! I admit, the trip to Wales makes me a little jealous, and the archery. I've not been able to use my bow since I got whiplash five years ago!

Aolaranora, I like that you have a few goals as apposed to a ton! You must live in a colder state, I would have had to start my seedlings in December! (If we weren't in the process of moving! I'm missing my gardening!)

I'm sure, Robert, since it's the concept/technique Don is looking for, he wouldn't mind you fixing up your own picture.

Judibelle
03-08-2014, 06:48 PM
good goals, Keepingpure....and good to see what you accomplished last month!

I have actually done 4 little abstracts so far. Haven't started a Spotlight yet, though. Today I did nothing but vaccum my workspace. Tomorrow I hope to get back to painting...

Jim...hope you got to the archery shop as planned....
Tatiana...hope you get to accomplish all...
Jen...have fun with the oil painting...
Rob...hope you are feeling well enough to accomplish your goals...

tonight is 'set the clocks ahead' night...hope I remember to do so...

Mij
03-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Hi Rebecca, you are doing well. See what you achieved last month! And with your dominant hand in plaster as well. Congratulations on the sale, no doubt that made your day :D.

It'd be interesting to read what you think of the different supports for pastels I think that they all seem to have 'best uses' from my little experience.
You have listed some good goals for this month, good luck in achieving them.
I cannot think what it is I have overlooked I too hope it's nothing important. Sorry to hear about the whiplash that put a halt to your archery I did find the 'moved' archery shop. It was at the end of a mile long farm track. The satnav was telling me up on the main road that 'I had reached my destination'.
I ordered a dozen for the compound bow ready for the outdoor season in April.

Hello Judibelle. Yes I eventually found the shop on a farm 'industrial estate' that seems to have taken over our farm buildings of late.
I have two clocks on my desktop GMT and EST and noticed this weekend that the EST which is normally 5 hours behind us is currently only 4. We don't 'spring' ahead until the weekend of the 22nd. I hope you remembered your's.
Tidying/vacuuming the workspace is conducive to setting the mind into art mode. Well done, now you know what to do you can do mine :thumbsup:. SWMBO just says 'on your bike' so I have to do it myself :(.
jim

I did go to archery today. I saw the webinar from JV on Saturday evening here. I ordered my arrows, have done a graphite image and a watercolour so I have achieved some of my goals :). On Saturday I have the JFD workshop, Sparkling Sea I believe it is called :D.

jim

Mij
03-12-2014, 05:32 AM
It is little wonder that I had this feeling that I'd left something out - two things at least. Because I got tired of my previous eating regime I intended giving the 28 day tryout of the engine2 diet. Also I needed to order some wc sables for Saturday :( I did the latter yesterday evening over the phone :crossfingers: that they will be here for Saturday's start.
jim

Dougwas
03-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Tatiana- Tax season again! My CPA has all my forms and she still hasn't started my tax return yet. I'd fire her, but she does it for free. I also happen to be married to her. :lol: And yes, I have tried PT. It just didn't work and that was the deciding factor for them to put me on disability. My disability plan has classified me as permanently disabled. I have done everything they wanted, including surgery, and nothing has worked. It could be worse. The ct scan might show something different and if id does my doctor inform me and we will go from there.

I see you have another busy month ahead of you. Good luck with all your goals and I hope things work out over in Ukraine. My family roots go back there and Russia as well. I don't know any relatives there, but my heart goes out to them. I tell my kids that we are so lucky to live where we do.

Robert- I hope you are sketching and writing up a storm. Was that huge fire close to you? I saw it on the news and it was unbelievable!

Jen- Another trader!:wink2: I hope you are having a blast with your oils. A change in mediums is sometimes what we need. Have fun!

Jim- Good going on getting the watercolor and graphite drawing done. Jo's paintalongs are very informative and you can always pick something up. I did his last one, but my schedule was full this month. I hope that box is coming along.:clear: Hows your weather? The snow is still here, but it is finally melting.

Rebecca- You did a fine job on your goals last month. I am sure you will do the same this month. Learning new techniques is always fun. I see you are painting some smaller paintings. That is a great idea. Sometimes small paintings turn into references for large paintings. Good luck with your goals.

Judi- Way to go on painting 4 abstracts! You are painting again and I am happy for you! Keepat it.

I have been keeping busy with the watercolor course and I am enjoying it. I just ordered some more paint to round out my palette. I found a cheap source here in Canada, so I figured I would take advantage of it. I think in the first two weeks I have painted for at least two hours a day, except for one. I just finished a drawing for the final painting of the course. If I finish early, Annie said she will give me something else to do. I will be doing another course right after this one is finished. Fun stuff!!!

Doug

Mij
03-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Hello there Doug, glad to hear that the watercolour is coming along fine and that you have enjoyed the course very much. Have you put the work online anywhere? It is not easy to swap around the mediums is it?

I am not an avid follower of the news as is SWMBO so did not hear about the fire near Robert. I hope no one was hurt.
I did hear about the airliner that is missing. I hope for the passenger's sake that it was not a suicide bomber.

I have got the arrows for my compound bow so I am ready for the outdoors practice in April.
I did another graphite drawing yesterday with JFD before we coloured it with B.S. And U.M.B. In watercolour for Sparkling Sea.
I have yet to get to the pastel box Doug, perhaps this week although SWMBO will be prepping for the off come Saturday.
Didn't get to the portrait class on Tuesday but will make archery practice today, all being well.
Jim

Dougwas
03-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Jim- It's good that you have your arrows ready for April. It sounds like you are really into archery. Good for you. My next door neighbour from up north was into archery. His young daughter loved it as well. They would travel to go to tournaments. It was a good father / daughter bonding time.

My watercolor class is a closed web site, but I will show you guys a couple of paintings. We did a positive painting and a negative painting. We followed a demo in the book we are using. The positive painting was done over three coloured wash and we added salt to the negative painting.

Positive Painting 12 x 16
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2014/102199-Positive_Painting2.jpg

Negative Painting 11 x 14
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2014/102199-Negative_Painting2.jpg

Not masterpieces, but it's a start.

Doug

norskgal
03-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Wow!! These are wonderful! You obviously "get" watercolor. The first one has a great background wash. But my favorite is the second. Great composition and again nice washes. Did you use sprinkled salt for the texture? Hope you have frames ready for these. They deserve framing.

Dougwas
03-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Thanks, Carol. I can't take credit for the composition. It was a step by step demo from a book. The instructor is Annie Strack, and she has been very encouraging. She said the wash in the first one isn't easy and that a lot of experienced watercolor artist have trouble doing them. I guess I have watched enough videos and I love experimenting. The second one I used sea salt for the texture.

I have wanted to use watercolor for years, but they scared me. I think I now know enough about color theory and values that it is the right time to give them a try. I am enjoying using them.

Thanks again.

Doug

norskgal
03-18-2014, 12:42 AM
She is right Doug, that gradiaded wash isn't easy. And you nailed it. I find watercolor to be so easy (mixing, cleanup etc.) and so hard in other ways. Doesn't tolerate mistakes. They are not easy to hide or erase. Paper issues; is it wet enough, is it dry enough and so on. It appears you are off to a nice start. I have recently spent some time viewing the Stephen Quiller color series in the ArtistNetworkTV videos. Love his book "Color Choices". If you like vibrant clear watercolor colors, I think he is the go-to guy.

Dougwas
03-18-2014, 12:44 PM
I hear what you are saying, Carol. You have to live with what watercolors do and sometimes they do something completely different than what you are expecting. I have also been watching the Quiller videos and that was one reason I decided to give them a try. I might have to buy his book. Maybe after the level 2 course with Annie. I should have a grasp on the basics by then.

Doug

Turpintine45
03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Yes, sorry Doug I am thoroughly traded for now. I did another small oil and then dug out the clay!! I made a turtle and I am now getting to work on a painting gnome on a mushroom! I am having a blast and needed to shake my artistic brain after our bummer winter. Thankfully the sun is out and warm with Spring popping out. I will come back to the dusty side I always do but just needed a break.
Jim glad you have your arrows and I hope you have some nice weather to try them out.

getdusty
03-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Doug, love your watercolors. I also enjoy mixing them and watching them move on the paper, but getting control of them.....not so much. Actually, it's the mixing of color that I miss in pastels.

aolaranora
03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Hi to all!
Let start all over again.
1)Finish taxes.
2)Try to find time to paint show entry for upcoming Northeast Pastel Exhibition.
3) Do few other whatever paintworks... care less what - just paint.
4) Plant my tomato seedlings.
[

Well, Doug, I see... PT is not working... that is just too bad, but it is what it is... Or it works, or it doesn't. :clear:
Yes, another busy month, nothing is easy, weather is everything but and so are heating bills... :(

On a good note taxes are done. I owe everybody art and a leg, or something like that and better come up with money. (did I say "on a good note?!)
Yes, we do start tomatoes late. They grow well this time and we planning to plant those at our friends horse farm, they have much more light that our place is getting... So this time it will be "together project" and everybody is happy about it.
Show entries didn't happen at all. But painting is going all right. I also got a nice studio easel from the friend (finally!). Like it a lot.
Situation in Crimea is stabilizing day by day and my friends over there are all happy. At list for now. What makes me happy for them. At list for now. How it will be all progressing, who knows.
Not that bad for the month, I would say.

Mij
03-24-2014, 04:09 AM
Hello everybody.
We are inS.Wales on holidays. It is usually raining here but the weather is kind at the moment. SWMBO has picked a nice apartment on the sea front in Swansea. I can watch all the fit peeps doing their early morning run from up here on the 2nd floor - whilst drinking my first cuppa :lol:
I am unable to reply as i normally do because I am using SWMBOs Ipad. At home i have the previous replies visible for reference as well. My memory is not what it used to be and is not firing on all cylinders these days.
Before coming away I joined the atc project and needed to add obtaining some material for 15 ATC's (I think that is what they are called although i think there may be an e in there somewhere). So I am taking photo's and sketching to amass some scenes for that.
I hope you are all on target -as am I :angel: :lol:
jim

robertsloan2
03-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Progress on my goals... I did get started on The Big Picture by doing a life sketch of the subject to start getting familiar with his face. We had a little time while my food was cooking so I sketched him. Here's the link. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20027627#post20027627)

Considering how sick I was, how exhausted I've been recuperating from being sick and how my life's turned lately... that's progress! Next month is Camp Nanowrimo so I will have both writing and art goals. I want to do more. I might even still do a white on white object before the month is over, either from the photos or just something in my room. I'm half thinking a clear marble sitting in a pill bottle top on a white napkin, something that's all textures and a clear object picking up the values.

Dougwas
03-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Jen- You are being creative and that is the main thing. I have had this discussion with my daughter. Creative people NEED to create. It can be painting, sculpting, drawing, designing or anything else that requires a creative mind. Keep at it, Jen!

Peg- Thanks for the kind words. I think when you use watercolors, you have to accept the "accidents" and go with the flow (Pardon the pun). Right now we are doing the wet in wet technique. It is fun seeing the results. In pastels, I find I am very tight, while in watercolor I have no problem being loose. Maybe when I go back to pastels I will have a looser style. We will see.:crossfingers:

Tatiana- You are having a very productive month. I keep seeing your paintings on FB and it is great to see. Keep it going!

Jim- Hope you are having a great holiday in Wales. Are you taking reference photos for future paintings? Now you are doing ATC's? Good for you. You can get your paintings done quickly and maybe you will get some ideas for larger pieces. Safe journey home.

Robert- Good to hear from you. I hope you get your energy back soon. I didn't realize you were that ill. That sucks. Plus other things not going well in your life? Hang in there, Robert. You did a good job on the sketch. I am sure it is good practice for a larger pastel painting.

I have finished the Level 1 course and started the Level 2 course and loving every minute of it. I am painting for more than 2 hours a day and even though I am in pain while painting for a lot of the time, it is worth it. Annie has been so supportive and helpful I feel like I can't let her down. Paint, paint, paint!

Doug

getdusty
03-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Doug, I'm finding that I like doing watercolor underpaintings for my pastels. I've recently done three and am (fairly) pleased with the result.
Jim, enjoy the holiday. I'd be sitting there with my cup watching all of the "fit people", too. Hoping there's lots of inspiration for your ATCs and larger works.
Robert, glad you are feeling better and back to the creative side. The sketch should be a good base for the portrait.
Jen and Tatiana, keep up the good work.
I haven't done so well in achieving any of my goals. Have been dealing with some cognitive issues with a family member and I just find it exhausting. Hard to gather the energy to do anything else. I know, what a wuss! :)

Mij
03-31-2014, 07:42 AM
Hello Doug and thanks for the+ive -ive paintings. I bet the negative was painful it looks it.I wouldn't like having to do it that way. But that is the way somepaintings have to be completed. Lessons are good as they keep you ontrack. I have yet to use salt to obtain texture, I hope it works whenI get there.

Hi Jen, so you are all tradedout and dug out the clay. Good on you, keep the creative juicesflowing. I hope you include a link to where their photo resides whencompleted.

Hello Tatiana and you havejoined us that owe everyone an arm and a leg or more appropriately,an art and a leg. But you have got your taxes done. That must be thefirst job of the year- apart from getting over Christmas that is. Iam glad that your friends in Crimea are all right with the outcome.It made everybody hold their breath I think.

I like your portrait Robert. Itis very human like. Ok now for the white spotlight? I'm afraid Ihave not done one and as today is the last of the month there is lotsI have not done.

Oh Peg, cognitive probs in thefamily. Of anyone close this is a difficult and thorny topic. I wishyou all the luck. It will take everything you have and more. Do plansome respite for yourself.

I did enjoy the change and old friends (of my wife's) that we meet up with and got lots of inspiration for paintings. I did this by taking photo's at the St Fagins open air museum. Also a couple of castles. My wife was given the Swansea Grammer School photo with her Dad in it and Dylan Thomas who was a couple of years older. Dylan's father was head of English and is in the same photo.

March 2014 Goals:-

Art Goals:-

Complete an image in each of the mediums Graphite, CP, WC, Oils, Acrylics and soft pastels. Partial tick did a Graphite, and a WC
Do some more work on the pastel box. Nope
Attend JV webinar tonight Tick
Attend 3 portrait classes Tick but not any better for it
Attend a w/shop with JFD on the 15th of this month. Tick and that was the graphite and the WC

Non Art Goals:-

Go to Wales on a weeks holiday at the end of the month. Tick
Continue diagnostics of the old computer that is fit the new M/board and switch on, count the beeps. Nope
Attend 2 sessions of archery and a coaching course. Partial tick
Get measured for new arrows for the compound bow ready for the outdoors in April. Tick
The prep before and therecovery from the holidays took more than I was prepared for. SWMBOhas her eye on the ball and did not miss a trick, good for her (andme).
The coaching course forarchery is now re-scheduled for May and June.
Jim

Dougwas
03-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Peg- I hope things are working out okay with your family member. That must be a helpless feeling for you. Hang in there!

I want to use watercolor under painting for pastels as well. That was one reason I took this class. I wanted to get a better understanding of the medium and use the under painting like Richard McKinley. I have a tendency to cover up the whole under painting. Now that I have been using watercolors for the past five weeks, I have come to like them. Oh, oh!:eek:

Jim- Great job on your goals! You managed to accomplish quite a few things this month and a holiday as well. Plus you got some good reference photos for future paintings. That is always a good thing.:thumbsup:

Its funny that you think the negative painting was "painful." I find them very therapeutic. I even did another one based on a tree I took a photo of last summer. They are fun to do! To each their own. :)

My one goal for this month was to paint for two hours a day. I think I managed to paint for more than two hours a day, except for three or four days. I consider that to be a huge tick!

Last week was a fun week for our family. Our oldest daughter had her cross stitch design published in The World of Cross Stitching magazine. They even did a two page spread, including an interview with her. AND they put her face on the front cover! We are calling her our "cover girl." She gets paid in British pounds, so now she keeps watching the exchange rate.:lol:

The same day that the magazine came out, I got an email from the F&W media, saying they want to include one of my watercolor paintings for their Artist Network University blog. Of course I said yes. Can't let our daughter have all the glory.:rolleyes: Anyway, here is the link to the blog and my painting if anyone wants to have a look. http://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-blogs/guest-contributors/student-showcase-at-artists-network-university

Doug

Judibelle
03-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Double Congratulations, Doug! Your daughter must be very proud, also.
Your painting is lovely...very well done! I gave up on watercolor a few years ago...found pastels more forgiving.

Sorry to say, after my first week of enthusiasm, I quickly faded, and have done nothing more all month. Oh well, there's always next month....

Jim...glad you enjoyed your trip....will you be painting any of the castles you photographed?

Wishing everyone well for a productive and cooperative (weatherwise) April.

Turpintine45
04-01-2014, 02:15 AM
Well done Doug and daughter. Two in one family in one month is quite an achievement for both of you. :thumbsup:

It gets difficult when you get distracted by other mediums but I think it is good to do it. It is like going on holiday and you come back to your old medium revived and enthused again. I am really enjoyed getting into oils again and now clay but I will be back to pastels as I really love them. I will be back!!:wink2:

Dougwas
04-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Thanks, Judi. We are proud of her. She has designs in the next two issues as well. She also has a design in another magazine. We hope that it is the start of something big for her. She deserves a break.

Hey, you were busy painting for a week and that's a start. Maybe this month will be the big month for you. You can do it!

Doug