PDA

View Full Version : Guess What!!!????

keepingpure
02-26-2014, 07:07 PM
I just sold my first painting!!! I don't know if you've seen it, but it's the one entitled, "Before the Masterpiece". I was just showing it at a Readers & Writers Symposium last weekend, and one of the ladies there HAD to have it!!! I sold it for $195!!! I'm SO excited, I could flip!!!

Psalm37
02-26-2014, 07:09 PM
So exciting! That sale will give you even more incentive and encouragement.....right on!

DAK723
02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Fantastic!!! :clap: :clap:

Don

Dedrian
02-26-2014, 08:29 PM
That IS exciting news! Congratulations!

pastel lover
02-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Fantastic! Congratulations.

Tanja

BruceF
02-27-2014, 01:25 AM
Congratulations!!!

SSB
02-27-2014, 05:08 AM
Why not repost it here? Congratulations!

A note regarding how I use income from sold art:

I'm not saying this makes sense even to me but....

I have sold mostly watercolors. I take whatever the sales are, subtract a minimum wage of 7.50$/ per hour for the time spent on the painting. If anything is left (ha ha) I apply it to the price of the materials used for the work (I keep the receipts so I know what I have spent). Once I have paid off the materials used in the work I pay off some of the cost of my remaining supplies. Eventually I get to where a good portion of what I've spent on the medium itself gets paid off. Once that is done I look at the materials as "paid off", in this case my watercolor supplies, brushes, paper, paint etc. Then I move on to another medium and begin paying it off if there is any money left...

This does a couple of wonderful things for me, that may be irrelevant for many people:

1. I can safely say that the art paid for itself, even if barely. This makes it easier to restock needed supplies because it is like I haven't spent any money "at all"... make sense?

2. I remain conscious of the monetary value of supplies without having the stress of an art supply debt.

3. Most importantly: when I approach those paid for surplus art supplies, in this example watercolors, I can do so with the freedom of one using supplies gotten at a demo giveaway, or perhaps the freedom of one using student grade gear when it is actually artist grade materials. THAT is freedom and ability to really push without reservations... It doesn't mean wasting them certainly, just being ok with using them, and eventually using them up.

Think of it as setting aside your original investment once it is regained, anything else is just extra you can do whatever with- reinvest, try new mediums, you get the idea!

Again, congratulations! Once one sale happens more often follow!!

SueNM
03-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Congratulations!!!!!

Ruthie57
03-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Congratulations! there is nothing quite like the first sale!

robertsloan2
03-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Congratulations! SSB is right - it's not that far to the point where all your supplies pay for themselves. Some mediums still pay for others. I don't worry too much about that, just relax and let my pastels pay for everything else.

keepingpure
03-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Thank you everyone for you congratulations and encouragements!!!

I really appreciate you sharing how you work your art income, SSB. You've really made me start thing about and planning how I'm going to use my income from art sales. Thank you so much!!!

Psalm37
03-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Keeping pure.....I was wondering where you were! how exciting for you to get a sale and this thread has encouraged me!

keepingpure
03-08-2014, 03:23 PM
:-D I'm still here, it just takes me a while to type only using my left hand (though it's cool how fast I'm getting!), so I only respond when I actually have time to sit down and type!