PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

artbymdp
02-26-2014, 12:05 PM
I know this should be in a different category like General Business (I added a doodle to keep it legit) but I am placing it here since you all have seen my narrative series, "Lighthearted" and I value your opinions. Knowing the road is rocky and long, I would like to show the series to publishers (at least for the experience of doing so). My question is, I am not sure this narrative fits the requirements of a children's book since it is dealing with a mature subject, so where is the best place to start? The process of submitting, representation, publishing,...is foreign to me. What would you guys do? Thanks

Ishka Baha
02-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Arbymdp - there is a book published by A&C Black - Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2014. This book has extensive information in this field e.g. covering literary agents, publishers local and international etc.

But with regards to adult picture books I haven't a clue but Amazon might be a great place to search for information on this because it will give the publisher's name and then you can just Google their publishing house. Sometimes the submission pages can be hidden within their website so look hard because they will give submission guidelines.

I would always start with the big publishers first. Unfortunately, they are not always accepting unsolicited submissions which means you have to go through an agent. That is another avenue you could try (again they are in the book).

They publish another one for children's books, Children's Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2014 which also includes publisher's etc. looking for illustrator's.

With regards to writing for children's books - there is an exact number of illustrated pages required and a specific lay out.
The best book to learn about layout, no of pages etc. is Writing with pictures by Uri Shulevitz.

Each publisher will have its own guidelines with regards to submissions.

I think you should also think about submitting your illustrations to publishers and literary agents because you are that good and they are always looking for illustrators. Some of these can be done directly on line but a lot of publishers still do snail mail.

This link is quite helpful if you go along the lines of Children's Picture Books: http://loutreleaven.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/childrens-publishers-accepting-unsolicited-manuscripts/

Hope this was helpful. If you wish to get the Writer's Year Book but can not source it in the US let me know and I will send you a copy. Good luck with this venture and I wish you all the best. If there is any specific question you wish to ask me about Children's Books and I have not answered it please let me know and I will do my best to help.

And if you do get published please let me know because I will definitely buy one and be proud to have it on my bookshelf. I have an absolute passion for Picture Books. Ask my children - they will tell you I never leave a book shop without one. Regards, Nikki

Ishka Baha
02-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Artby - This is a list of some of the larger publishing houses for Children's Picture Books if you wanted to go the illustrator route:
Scholastic Inc
Penguin Group
Random House www.randomhouse.com
Simon & Shuster www.simonsayskids.com
Walker Books www.walkerbooks.com
Bloomsbury USA
Boyds Mills Press
Candlewick Press

Eraethil
02-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Preface: I have NO experience in this area, so these are just ideas you should test with your "wacky idea meter".

I would suggest connecting with more local writers guilds as well as looking for established authors whose work, non-fiction or fiction, might tackle this theme of the relationship cycle most directly. The guilds/societies might not have the right person but they may know of good candidate authors. It might result in a very successful collaboration. And connecting with prospective authors, perhaps showing these works as a speaking engagement might provide an opportunity to collaborate on new projects too.

Also I am not sure whether this is inappropriate material for children, especially when viewed as a metaphor. Shrek (the movie) is a good example of using double meanings in a very successful way, allowing children and adults to enjoy the same film from different points of view. Why couldn't this happen with your works? (with the right writing) The kids get one story or a comforting version of it and the adults appreciate the nuances?

davefriend
02-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Michael, Have you considered using 'Artist's Market. There is an online version (http://www.artistsmarketonline.com/). You don't have to get the whole package - they break it up into smaller parts (For Artists, For Designers and For Graphic Designers) and from a price point of view, it is extremely reasonable - I think it is less than 20 bucks a year for the individual module. You may be able to find publishers who would have need for your work as art or illustration.

You might cross post this in the art business forum also...

Ishka Baha
02-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Artby there is also another website that I though of today which I found incredibly informative - it has just about everything you need to know about submitting to publishers, writing query letters and much, much more. You need to pay a small subscription to get into the main part of the site. If you do go along these lines it might be worth joining it for 1 month just to get an idea of how the industry works.

http://cbiclubhouse.com/clubhouse/

Wishing you all the best with your new venture. Regards, Nikki.