PDA

View Full Version : Lowres: A creepy guy with a creepier tongue

PeriSoft
02-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Resident pixel-pusher Delofasht reminded me of my reckless youth, spent doing lowcolor stuff in DP][e, so this evening I decided to do *something*, super low resolution and black-and-white.

Well, I did it by using a regular brush in Painter, but put a dynamic posterize layer on top to chop it down to black and white.

So I drew this whole crazy tongue guy like that, and then said to myself, "Ha ha, I should see what it looks like without the posterize; probably I'll like it so much I'll just keep *that*."

And lo, it came to pass.

Critique welcome as always, though I have a feeling that any opportunity for aesthetics was lost the moment I put pen to glass...

It's 128x128, by the way, at 5x upscale with a border for... the sake of having a border.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2014/1697450-bwguy.jpg

LavenderFrost
02-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Definitely creepy.

PeriSoft
02-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Definitely creepy.

That's what I draw when the game I'm playing crashes to desktop, then the web browser I'm using shuts itself down, and two minutes later the whole computer bluescreens and restarts. I think it's time to reseat the ol' RAM...

I'm actually kinda psyched about the 'limited information' drawing thing; I played around with drawing with a live posterize layer on a bigger document, and because of the way the posterize forces you to draw, you can end up with some really neat effects when you get done. It kind of automatically molds you to a style and prevents you from obsessing over irrelevancies. The only problem is that the Lenovo tablet has its hands full doing drawing with a live effects layer on a 3600x3000 image - but hey, another step in justifying the purchase of a Cintiq Companion, right? :evil:

Lucy-Foote
02-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Looks like when I first started painting on computer..WAy back when on a Tandy. They came out with a paint program , and I had to paint pixle by pixel.

Lucy

Delofasht
02-25-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm a pixel pusher! Hahahahah. Oh thanks! That made me laugh, honestly though I really like this extreme styling though, the fact that it still reads is what I find most impressive. Just how much can one get away with if the general placement of features are located in a certain arrangement.

Also I think it is a good exercise to start with very low resolution and work your way up. Good stuff looks fun!

JThane
02-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Safe to say the picture lived up to the title, I am creeped out lol.

PeriSoft
02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm a pixel pusher! Hahahahah. Oh thanks! That made me laugh, honestly though I really like this extreme styling though, the fact that it still reads is what I find most impressive. Just how much can one get away with if the general placement of features are located in a certain arrangement.

Also I think it is a good exercise to start with very low resolution and work your way up. Good stuff looks fun!

I'm going to have to dig up some of my old pixel stuff. Getting stuff to read right is fascinating - the guys who did SNES RPGs were masters at it: Signifying gender, rank, attitude, and style in a 6x6 pixel head sprite is nontrivial to say the least!

Were you ever involved in the demo scene? Some of the pixel art from the best guys was truly world class.