PDA

View Full Version : Plein aire, 1000 steps and a workshop

bhavani.krishnan
02-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Again I had a very busy weekend. So this is going to be a long post.
First i went plein aire painting... finally! I used my husband's keyboard stand and put a large mdf panel on top of it and that was my makeshift tripod. I put my table-top easel on top of this. There was enough room to put my pallette, water and brushes. This is not necessarily light-weight but it's great to get started. I went out on Saturday.. It was sunny when I woke up but by the time I got out it was really cloudy and not the pretty kinda cloudy, really quite dull and flat. There is an agricultural zone near where my place and I drove around for more than an hour looking for inspiration but the light was so flat everything looked really dull. Finally I just decided to paint a good composition and capture the cloudy dull winter scene as I saw it. Once I started painting, I was at complete bliss, being out in nature and painting, two of my favorite things. Here is what I came up with. I was so excited to have painted plein-aire that I had to share my story with you. Sorry for the long winded description.
Acrylic on canvas panel (5x7). C&C welcome
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2014/980567-photo_2_4.JPG

Also wanted to share one more painting with you. I had the opportunity to visit Haifa, Israel for a business trip last year. Haifa is a city on the slopes of Mt.Carmel and there is a famous walking route of 1000 steps down the Carmel. I painted this from a picture I clicked on the stairs.
Acrylic on panel (6x9). C&C welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2014/980567-photo_2_5.JPG

Plus I attended a wonderful workshop on values this weekendz by local artist Brenda Boylan. Here is a painting I did in the workshop. You can read the full review in my blog.
Sunflower surprise. Acrylic on canvas panel. 8x10 in. C&C welcome
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2014/980567-photo_12.JPG

Golfgal58
02-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Very nice. I would love to try painting plein aire... it would definitely take me out of my comfort zone. I really like your sunflowers too. The vases are very well done.

Iris

ColinS
02-25-2014, 01:43 AM
Congratulations on getting out, Bhavani - and in February too! I think you will really enjoy the plein air experience. It must have been frustrating that the light wasn't cooperative, but there will be better days in the months to come, for sure. Your painting of the barn is very atmospheric.

I really really like the other two paintings as well. The tree in the Haifa painting is very striking. The sunflowers are a knockout. To me that is a great and very appealing painting with a sophisticated background. The workshop must have been a lot of fun.

frodron
02-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Not too keen on your first one as it seems unfinished. Maybe a bit more detail on the buildings ?
However the other two are great, I am particularly taken with your sunflowers.
It just shows what can be achieved on small canvases.

chammi kaiser
02-25-2014, 05:43 AM
Not long-winded at all Bhavani. I enjoyed reading about your plein aire experience. Well done with the painting. Were your hands freezing??

doctoring in arts
02-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Beautiful paintings.. I love the sunflowers

LavenderFrost
02-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Pretty nice plein aire, I've never tried that.

The second is a really interesting scene.

Really nice glass in the third.

loobyteacher
02-25-2014, 02:36 PM
awesome! sounds like a great experience, even in the dull clouds!

susme48
02-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Interesting, to me! My plein aire tries were not so great...:lol:...it was toooo hot out! Love the sunflowers!!

Charlie's Mum
02-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Lol about driving around for the P-A comp ...... I'd have given up! If it doesn't inspire me then it's no use :( ........ but another day, there'll be a multitude of subjects!

Really like the Mt. Carmel painting - it's unusual, it's a good comp of interesting shapes and colours and (for me) shows the difference a 'feel' for a scene makes!:)

I like the glass, reflections and tonal balance in the last one too - that's a really interesting piece.

bhavani.krishnan
02-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. I know the first painting is not that great but I am proud of what I accomplished out there for the first time and the experience inspired me to get out there again. I had some issues with the canvas panel surface or my new brush during plein air. For some reason, my brush was lifting the paint. So I could not go over the same area again. hence it ended up being so thinly painted and perhaps looks incomplete. By the end of my painting session, my hand were quite cold but I was dressed for the weather otherwise. Thanks for the comments on my other paintings too :).

I think we cross-posted mum.. thanks :).. I was quite determined to paint out that day :lol:.. The drawing on the last one is off since it was done quite fast and I totally forgot about ellipses :lol: