PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Orchard

beegirl
02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
A painting I completed a month or so ago. I don't think I ever posted, but am looking for some C&C in particular from those of you that have some experience with sci-fi landscapes. This painting was more playing around than anything and I'm happy with the end result, but can definitely see this is a first step in this direction and pretty amateur. 12x28

PiKoonMo
02-23-2014, 04:47 PM
love the subtle ranging colors and affect of light. the painting has great sense of never ending depth. really nice work.

Ishka Baha
02-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Look at all those poor trees departing! Heart breaking! But I really like the painting.

artbymdp
02-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Only because you asked, I am not a sci-fi artist but I do enjoy painting floating stuff...I think it is a good work in progress. Since it is all about floating trees and light I offer two real comments and one lol comment:
1. I wish there was more tension with the trees on the ground. Maybe some could be in the process of being uprooted along with holes in the soil.
2. Lighting is inconsistent (unless there are two suns). Based on the moons in comparison with the lighting of the trees and the lack of shadows I really cannot tell where the light is coming from. More mid-tone dark values at shade areas along with the addition of shadows would make it more dramatic.
3. Where are the bees? lol

trufflecat
02-24-2014, 12:49 PM
I like this! Agree with artbymdp that the lighting is a little weird, but after all, it's all in a strange weird world, so maybe there is another light source we can't see! The sky is a little crowded between the moons and the floating trees, maybe a few fewer trees? Nice colors, too.

beegirl
02-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I totally agree about the lighting as well. I did this without any reference and figuring out lighting without a reference has never been my forte.. something i'm still figuring out, definitely with abstracts like this. I appreciate that feedback a lot! And LOL about the bees. they're hiding ;)

abstractca
02-24-2014, 08:11 PM
very cool.....whimsical effect