PDA

View Full Version : mixing brown in acrylic

cambearing1
02-22-2014, 12:12 AM
Painting an abstract flower with Hansa Yellow Med., Indian Yellow with mixture of ultramarine violet and ultrmarine blue for background. My question relates to the center of the flower, which is a dark brown. Can I mix the two unltramarines with indian yellow or would it be better to add a touch of red. Want brown on the warm side and rich?

Thanks

ItsaWonder
02-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Hard to tell out of context of an image. Have you tried both ways to see which you like better, which works best in your painting?

Meredith

Charlie's Mum
02-22-2014, 07:19 AM
You can mix anything together - whether it will work is another matter!

The basic ingredients are red, blue and yellow - mostly red, less blue, less yellow - but adjust the proportions to get the colour you want.

Some people use orange+black.

Some people use ready-mixed browns and add colour to warm or cool.

Experiment:)

If you make another couple of posts you should then be able to upload the work and ref so we maybe can help more.

janinco
02-22-2014, 10:52 AM
I often use burnt sienna and ultramarine blue.

Jan

chammi kaiser
02-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I always use burnt sienna and ultramarine blue - more sienna for a warmer brown and more blue for a cooler brown. For a reddish brown, add a tiny bit of cadmium red medium.

Davkin
02-22-2014, 03:32 PM
BS and UB for me too.

David

Fox_eNova
02-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Aye, burnt sienna and ultramarine blue.

susme48
02-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Thanks for asking, cambearing1!! ( Quickly filing the Burnt sienna/utramarine blue combo!! ) So frustrated lately with my browns...:lol: