PDA

View Full Version : Wine Bottle and Glass - Question on color

monarchd
02-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Hello, this is my first post for a C&C.

I'm doing an 11x14 canvas in acrylics of a wine bottle with a wine glass. There were some yummy color shift and highlights after I poured a glass that I just knew I needed to paint it.

I'll post the reference photo and where I'm at. I'm looking for some input on how to get that particular warm yellow and maybe what direction to take the background, lighter, darker??? warmer, cooler??

This is layer one-ish.

Thanks and be gentle. I've only been painting for just over a year though I've been drawing my whole life.

~JMW~
02-20-2014, 02:18 PM
I would use a mottled back ground with the colors in the ref - purples and yellows are nice compliments to each other..
It would make a nice color harmony.

For getting the wine color - you have a good image to go by. Just study it and match the colors as best you can...

I've never painted a still life or wine yet, but watched many videos ..LOL
Pretty sure Jerry Yarnell would start with the darkest color of the wine, see the area that is a warm dark brown?
he would under paint that whole area with the dark and then mix/lighten to get the next color and then just add the paint to match the ref..
get the base colors in then do the highlights and details at the very last..

I tried to find vids on You tube for painting glass of wine but didn't find what I wanted, or got a lot of actual painting on the wine glass LOL

~JMW~
02-20-2014, 02:19 PM
If you need more help on the color mixing to get the color you want there are color wheels and a virtual palette
http://www.wetcanvas.com/colormixer/

Looks like a burnt umber & burnt sienna mix will make the warm dark brownish tone. then add a bit of white to lighten and maybe a deep yellow to move to the more yellow/gold colors as needed.

susme48
02-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Welcome, monarchd! :wave: Looking good so far! :) Really love the sketch/painting so far!

Personal opinion...and really just that...I'd probably go dark bg...keep some of the blues, as they add to the reflections...and if you are bold...when I played with the ref photo, and darkened the table and kept the reflections/shadows on it light, it made the tabletop glow.

Only crit I have, and you probably already know to fix them, is that the back edge of the glass is too dark at the moment, and maybe a bit more curve to the label (which is wonderful, by the way! ). I think you will get that "glow" when you add more color and get your darks and lights going. It seems to be almost a burnt sienna/ alizarin crimson in the darks and an yellow ocher at the edges...I'd play around with those colors...maybe just washes or glazes after you establish your lights and darks more?

ColinS
02-20-2014, 09:54 PM
I think this is going to be great. I think the advice about purple/ blue sounds right. Purples in the back will give you the complement to the gold colour of the wine. Nice colours happening on that wine bottle in the reference. Have fun. :)

monarchd
02-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Awesome, thanks for your good feedback. I think I am going to go with a mottled purple background - going to go in light first and see how it sits. I'm always afraid to go too dark too soon but maybe that's just my newbie painter showing.

Joy - that link to the virtual palette is fantastic - thank you x a million! I already used it to pair up colors for this piece. So helpful and I don't even have to waste paint making all sorts of shades of brown, haahaha

Susan - Excellent, appreciate you pointing those things out. I did the drawing in vine charcoal and I did not seal it or anything, so I'll probably erase or soften those lines until I get some color to "hold" the shape. Right, I do need a tad more curve on the label. Good catch. Easy to fix at this stage. Later. Not so much.

Did you take the photo in Photoshop and use levels to play with the color? If so, that sounds like a really good idea. I use Gimp but I can basically do the same thing. I had never thought about it.

mke112
02-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Think washes or glazing. This is what I would do. Wine is wet.. sot paint it wet. Color wash on color wash. (make sure each wash is dry before laying the next. Yellows, burnt siena, possible greens, a hint of a deep red wash on just the right area for depth. I'm only talking wine color here and for me.. this image is way too small so I can't see the colors well. Purples on your reflections looks like.

jocko500
02-22-2014, 12:26 AM
got a lot of people saying good things here. it all good

susme48
02-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Monarchd...catching early when it's easy to 'fix' is the ONLY reason I said anything at all...I hate trying to fix things like that when you are almost done! :)

monarchd
03-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Ok, finally finished! Whooot!

With my mad fly newbie skills this was the best I could do, but I'm happy with it. :clap: Otherwise, I'm sure I'd fiddle with it for the next year and never get anything done, right.

ColinS
03-20-2014, 10:24 AM
I think you have done very well with this and should be pleased.

LavenderFrost
03-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Very nice! Maybe the photo just looks a little dark, but I would consider brightening some of the highlights on the glass and bottle. I'm just saying this from my own experience with some still lifes, after looking at it in rather dim light I see where things should be brighter.

susme48
03-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Great finish!! I agree with Michelle, but otherwise, nicely done!!

paznbaz
03-20-2014, 06:58 PM
When painting distinct pieces like this one, newbies often become confused how to go about it. If you want to get a closer likeness to the original this type of reference lends itself to painting each part at a time. For example start with the clear section of the bottle, taking care to follow the photo as closely as possible to match the photo, now it might not look the same but ignore that as it will all come together in the end. Then the same clear part of the glass, then the wine in both, the label etc. etc. Too many learners try to paint everywhere at once and then lose the plot. Just concentrate on getting that one part as the photo finished properly and you will be amazed at your finished painting. Painting everywhere will come when you know your colors better. A bit long winded but it may help some learn to study the subject a little better and get the colors correct.
Paul
www.paulbennettfineart.com
www.acrylic-artist.com

achematute
03-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Monarchd,
I think painting liquids are complicated and your paint looks very good.
The blue reflections in the front of bottle and in the glass look a bit opaque for me, don't know if you would have "blend" the colors a bit more (I am a newbie too, just an idea)

jocko500
03-22-2014, 02:50 AM
a sign painter told me she use to paint signs I mean bill broads and she had to paint wine also. the wine people did not like the color so she keep on trying then she put some Fluorescent Orange into the oil paint and it mixed and it was the right color to make the wine people to say "that the color we want" test it out a little

monarchd
03-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Cool, I'll give that a shot, thanks jocko