PDA

View Full Version : Bright Candy Pink Please?

Harling
02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
I will soon need to start on a large painting that is to have a bright candy pink back ground.

The painting is being done in oils.

What colours should I mix to get a bright candy pink?

Have tried all kinds of reds, but nothing seems to work. Maybe I should use a transparent white instead of Titanium to mix the pink? Maybe I should mix a touch of another colour?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Gigalot
02-20-2014, 01:04 PM
"Bright Candy pink" is a very abstract concept. Can you show us a picture with an example which color you like?

CanvasSky
02-20-2014, 04:29 PM
I work in acrylics so YMMV, but I almost never just use red+white for pink.

Very bright pinks, especially, often seem to be on the cooler side. You could try mixing in a bit of purple, but you might get the best results from quinacridone magenta or something similar, mixed with white.

Patrick1
02-20-2014, 05:37 PM
I have to guess what exact color you mean by candy pink. But the brightest, most intense pinks are probably one of the Quinacridone Reds or Rose, applied thinly/glazed over white, without adding any white.

waterhousey
02-20-2014, 09:20 PM
I have to guess what exact color you mean by candy pink. But the brightest, most intense pinks are probably one of the Quinacridone Reds or Rose, applied thinly/glazed over white, without adding any white.

Exactly this! I would use Quinacridone Red PV19. (It's PV, not PR, I swear.)

Harling
02-21-2014, 02:08 AM
Thank you for all the replies.

Sorry, dont have an online sample of the pink I was looking for to show you.

The painting is in the pop art style. It is of a large nude, which will be done in monochromatic colours from white to almost black, but the back ground is this candy pink.

On taking a longer look at what I want to do, I think that the pink must not be all that bright, but rather toned down a bit to a more mid pink so that the black and white will stand out better.

The only colour I have which you suggested (that is, to hand till I can get to the art shop on Tuesday) is the Perm. Rose.

The painting is to be done on canvas, using acrylic paints. As it is rather complicated with the colour going in and out of the body shapes, I think tht mixing up a candy pink with white rather than using glazes, would be the best option.

Am going to have fun playing with the Perm. Pink to check out the colour mixes, keeping all the sample mixes on white card because acrylic tends to darken as it dries.

Thank you to each and every one of you for your suggestions.:thumbsup:

JPQ
02-21-2014, 03:43 AM
somehow i think pr122 is better candy pinks.

opainter
02-21-2014, 05:36 AM
W&N Permanent Rose (PV19) is a good choice. So is W&N Quinacridone Red (PR209). It might be hard to tell the difference between the two, but the first is a little more "red," the second a little more "rose." W&N Quinacridone Magenta (PR122) appears just a bit too violet, to me. Since you have it, use the Permanent Rose. If you want, add a tiny bit of blue.

kinasi
02-21-2014, 12:19 PM
W&N Permanent Rose (PV19) is a good choice.

W&N Quinacridone Magenta (PR122) appears just a bit too violet, to me.

*boggle*

that makes no sense, how can a color that is more red appear more violet to you than a violet?

PV19 is more violet when tinted or in thin applications

pR122 = red in lab space

pV19 = violet in lab space

while they look the same in masstone, PR122 make a strong hot pink, while PV19 makes a violet

example:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2014/1558522-RTYRYRYRYRYR.JPG

kinasi
02-21-2014, 12:21 PM
somehow i think pr122 is better candy pinks.

correct

Patrick1
02-21-2014, 12:39 PM
PR122 (despite its name "PR"), is more blueish than all other quinacridones, including the violet (beta) version of PV19.

Looking at your pic, the sample on the right is darker than the left so it's hard to compare them in hue. (In the same way it's difficult to compare the hue of a brown vs. an orange or a maroon vs. red). But sampled in photoshop you'll see the left (PR122) is a bit more blueish, as it should be.

Colors that are darker or blacker often appear more blueish than their actual hue.

kinasi
02-21-2014, 12:49 PM
PR122 (despite its name "PR"), is more blueish than all other quinacridones, including the violet (beta) version of PV19.

PR122 on the left PV19 on the right, tinted with white so you can accurately judge the color, the PR122 left is more red, hot pinkinsh, the PV19 is more towards violet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2014/1558522-fyhfjfjfjfj.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2014/1558522-sfsfsfsfsf.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2014/1558522-sfsfsfsfs.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2014/1558522-cbcbcbcbcbc.JPG

Patrick1
02-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Kinasi, I just sampled your last pic in Photoshop, and in tints with white, you're right - the PV19 is a bit more blueish than the PR122. But at maximum chroma and in undertone, the reverse is still true.

Overall they are very close in hue...the main reason for the apparent hue difference arising because the PV19 beta is darker and greyer than PR122. Try darkening a red while not changing the hue, and it'll also seem more purplish.

Another quirk of pigment nomenclature: PR88 (Thioindigo Violet) is more violet than any Quinacridone, despite being called 'pigment red' 88.

kinasi
02-21-2014, 01:52 PM
If I go pick the masstone of PR122 and PV19, yes PV19 is a tiny tiny bit more red according to a digital software suite.

But I also don't trust digital because at very low value, there is a big compression in color gamut, and you'll jump form hue to hue because sRGB has a very small range in the shadows.

Gigalot
02-21-2014, 02:07 PM
PR88 (Thioindigo Violet) is more violet than any Quinacridone, despite being called 'pigment red' 88.

In my childhood, I bought a tube of clear, bright, very beautiful paint with the name Thioindigo bright rose. I still have it. PR86. It is discontinued long ago.
I have PR87 too. This PR87 is Thioindigo Red-Brown. Good floral paint.
I remember Thioindigo Black, transparent black with violet shade, it was a very beautiful discontinued paint, I lost it.