PDA

View Full Version : Another cat? Cats are critical; you can be, too

PeriSoft
02-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Five-hour cat.

Originally it was B/W, but I couldn't manage to get the cat to stick out well enough if there was enough background detail to make the image work, so I colored it. Still not sure how I feel about that.

It could be better, but Painter X3 was murdering my tablet toward the end; even after squashing layers it was taking upwards of a minute just to zoom in, and a few seconds for a brush to start drawing once the pen touched down. And that's not counting the time that one of the layers started reading every kind of liquid ink pen as an eraser, and the few times that changing the brush size caused Painter to take five to ten minutes to catch up with a 40-pixel-long line. Yes, really.

Oh, and the time when I accidentally hit the 'auto screen rotation' button on the side of the tablet - which is apparently not possible to disable - causing Painter to, as it always does, crash in a horrifying slow-motion disaster of flickering and partial redraws the instant Windows sent it the notification.

Paper may not have undo, but at least it doesn't erase itself if you turn it the wrong way. :rolleyes:

Anyway, comments / suggestions / outraged invective welcomed as always.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2014/1697450-catback.jpg (http://www.perisoft.org/catback.jpg)

Leslie F.
02-17-2014, 09:09 PM
I love it! My cats, however, are deeply offended!

Oban14
02-18-2014, 06:43 AM
This makes me smile. Love this style!

LavenderFrost
02-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Very good drawing, love all the details in the background.

Sorry for all your technical difficulties though, that's a real pain when you're trying to be creative. But some paint programs really require a decent desktop to work properly.

Elainepsq
02-18-2014, 01:11 PM
I like it!
I'm sorry to say that I gave up on Painter at version 9, I think, partially because it was such a hog. I've got plenty of power to run Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, etc, but once I had Painter up, it would get so slow, that I had to shut it down and restart before running Indesign and Photoshop.

PeriSoft
02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Yeah, it's funny - PS Creative Cloud runs fine on the tablet, excepting huge simulated brushes, but I just can't use it to draw. It just feels *wrong* somehow. And painter has a lot of little behaviors that are obviously made for drawing: Iterative saves, selectable filtering on zooms, etc. And its brush capability utterly destroys PS. They just seem to be made for different things - I couldn't live without either.

I just need three grand for the cintiq tablet with an i7 and 32gb of ram or whatever. Anybody wanna buy a print? Where are the Medecis when you need 'em... ;)