PDA

View Full Version : multiple large wood panel piece, how to connect?

3Bak
02-16-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm gonna be doing some live painting at a music festival and I wanted to work a lot bigger than my usual easel-holding pieces (18x24 - 30x20 etc..) just so it's more of a "spectacle" for the crowd and easier to have people collect around the work. I was thinking of buying and sanding/priming a couple large pieces of plywood (or something similar) and connecting them to make one big painting.

My question is I usually work with canvas so I've never painted on a multiple wood panel before, should I drill into 2 pieces and lock them together with a 2x4 beam and then disassemble once done? It needs to be transported in 2 separate panels until I am cool enough to own a massive van or truck haha.. I'd also like it to be off the ground a bit but obviously this will end up fairly heavy and my portable easel will not work. I'm thinking I'll have to make a simple tripod out of 2x4's to hoist it up off the ground some.

Anybody with tips or ideas will be helpful, if you've ever done something similar I'd like to hear how you did it.. should be a fun time though, I'll have 3 full days to put something together. Guess I'll be stocking up on a bunch of new acrylic paints, it'll definitely take up some tubes :P

janinco
02-17-2014, 12:33 AM
Maybe you get could some birch plywood (they have large sheets at stores like Home Depot for cabinets). It would be much lighter.

If you do a YouTube search on live painting there are quite a few large panels and canvases - you might see a few good ideas about bracing.

Jan

Upandaway
02-17-2014, 12:55 AM
I've made a few panels a way so that, that size you mention won't be too heavy. And it might solve your problem as to how to attach them.

Go to the local lumber yard and pick up some 1/8 sheets of plywood like Jan said. Poplar is good because it's a hard wood and that's the best for painting. (Although I have seen a lot of cool **** on regular plywood.) I glue a pine/ spruce frame that hides in the back of the plywood along the back edge with a couple of cross braces inside. That frame can also make it easy for attachment from one to another. You can either screw the back frames together or add hinges.

Upandaway
02-17-2014, 11:19 AM
I meant to say Mahogany, not poplar.

idylbrush
02-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Have you considered gator board, used by sign companies. Rigid, light and archival.