PDA

View Full Version : ~ The Letter- retried again ~

carolkay
02-07-2014, 03:08 PM
This was a very new experiment for me- It was painted from life.12x22 oil

I am very confused about it though-thinking it may be a mess !-I think I cant see the forest for the tress at this point.- Do you think the lamp glow detracts from the other objects?
I am goin to try to add just a few words to the letter. we'll see how that goes.

Open to any positive idea's and thoughts

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2014/165721-IMG_15981-Recovered-3.jpg

querin
02-07-2014, 06:13 PM
I love the glow of the lamp,writing a few words will be great range
Querin

GardenMaven
02-07-2014, 07:17 PM
When I see a lamp in a Still Life, I feel it should glow with light. I love lamps! Lovely painting, I like the idea of some undecipherable lines indicating a letter. If it were mine, I would soften the wallpaper a bit more.

soultosoul
02-08-2014, 08:23 AM
I think it looks great! The glow definately works for me. I also like the writing being vague. It leaves the interpretation up to the viewer.

-Michael

Loretta7
02-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Another beautiful one, Carol. Yes, a few scribblings would help (I thought it was a towel when I first looked at it).

mcassatt
02-08-2014, 10:04 AM
I like this one, Carolkay, the only thing though, is there is no focal pt. Making one thing crisper edges would stand out from the rest and I think that's what it needs.

carolkay
02-08-2014, 10:56 AM
I love the glow of the lamp,writing a few words will be great range
Querin

Thanks Querin Im going to do that !

carolkay
02-08-2014, 10:58 AM
When I see a lamp in a Still Life, I feel it should glow with light. I love lamps! Lovely painting, I like the idea of some undecipherable lines indicating a letter. If it were mine, I would soften the wallpaper a bit more.

Thanks Sandi-for the lovely thoughts-- what you suggested is definatly a though- should have done it at first.

carolkay
02-08-2014, 10:59 AM
I think it looks great! The glow definately works for me. I also like the writing being vague. It leaves the interpretation up to the viewer.

-Michael

Michael - Yr thoughts are apreaciated very much. and thank you for yr inspiration.

carolkay
02-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Another beautiful one, Carol. Yes, a few scribblings would help (I thought it was a towel when I first looked at it).

Thank you Loreatta---- LOl -- maybe when I get some writing on it coupled with the name it will work.

carolkay
02-08-2014, 11:03 AM
I like this one, Carolkay, the only thing though, is there is no focal pt. Making one thing crisper edges would stand out from the rest and I think that's what it needs.

Thanks Grace-- you may be right-- I was hoping that the brighter edge of the letter would stand out and take prescidence over the clock. maybe some writing on it will help.
your thoughts are valued.

billmahler
02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Excellent, Carol.
Yes, a few scribbles and it will be ready to frame.

AllisonR
02-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Lovely scene. You have a lot of details in the wallpaper, which brings it forward and makes it interfere with the objects on the table. One or two of these objects should be your focal point; they are not now because of their fight with the wallpaper. Either dull or soften the wallpaper, or sharpen or increase the contrast on some of your objects - or both. The white clock is looking lovely. A nit-pick but annoying - The color of the background inside the stem of the cup is not the same as the rest of the background. I'd also get rid of the stem, or legs or pole of that table, will help the composition.

carolkay
02-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Excellent, Carol.
Yes, a few scribbles and it will be ready to frame.

Thank you Bill- Its allways interesting to me as to how differnces in what others eyes see's art. Your positive thoughts are very valued as allways.:thumbsup:

carolkay
02-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Lovely scene. You have a lot of details in the wallpaper, which brings it forward and makes it interfere with the objects on the table. One or two of these objects should be your focal point; they are not now because of their fight with the wallpaper. Either dull or soften the wallpaper, or sharpen or increase the contrast on some of your objects - or both. The white clock is looking lovely. A nit-pick but annoying - The color of the background inside the stem of the cup is not the same as the rest of the background. I'd also get rid of the stem, or legs or pole of that table, will help the composition.

Thanks Alyson for yr insightful thoughts. They are valued, and I will consider them wholey. I may soften the background. My thoughts had been that I didn't want too much of nothingness space all around. ANd ALso I didn't want to make the two white objects to be so sharp that they seemed to not fit into the scene.as they are the two white objects in the scene. If that makes sense. Not sure of getting rid of the table legs as then it would be hovering in space.

*Deirdre*
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Carol, having read the other comments I must say I agree. I did not immediately recognise the letter....having looked again I can see it is a long, narrow one. As others have said, greeked writing would establish it as such...or maybe part of the envelope peeking out from under it?

Overall, it's nicely balanced, and I love the soft, inviting lighting.:thumbsup:

lovin art
02-11-2014, 01:11 PM
This was a very new experiment for me- It was painted from life.12x22 oil

I am very confused about it though-thinking it may be a mess !-I think I cant see the forest for the tress at this point.- Do you think the lamp glow detracts from the other objects?
I am goin to try to add just a few words to the letter. we'll see how that goes.

Open to any positive idea's and thoughts

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2014/165721-IMG_15981-Recovered-3.jpg

Well this is a real touch of class and beauty My Lady and from life so impressive ....I love it the treatment of the lamp itself is fantastic ... Ok a few things you might like to look at from what I am seeing , and these are just suggestions ......the lamp is as said wonderful , Maybe if you were to make the light side of the lamp base abit more defined meaning the edges here and there where the light areas hit it would start to make this area more cohesive , because if we look to the shadow side of the lamp base that naturally feels like it's rounding back into space ...as it should ...so making the light side stand to attention more will help bring things more into focus.... That applies to most objects ...the closer a object is to the light source the more the object is defined by our eyes ...

I certainly don't think getting rid of the table legs is a option , sorry Alison but I find that remark completely strange ... , I would make one last thought Carol,if I may , maybe the bg is for abit to similar at the moment as everything else and therefore a more contrasting tone would set everything more so into perpesctive or at least a more subtle tone ....

Once again just this persons thoughts ...but I love the beautiful classical feel you have to your work ....and I'm envious of your still life props lady ....:D

johnstevensartist
02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Further to Alison's comment...If you 'lose' both the top of the painting above the lamp and the table legs at the bottom by introducing deeper shadows it will throw the table top into focus and hence what's on it? just a thought.... ;)
John

carolkay
02-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks Alex, and I see what yr saying.. And agree ..I'm going to see what I can do about it.

Thank you fr yr thoughts also.. john.. I'm not sure about the losing that much but I surely Apreciate yr input.

carolkay
02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
I worked a little more on this.-- Not sure if it helped.!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and idea's.Its been hard to concentrate lately.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2014/165721-IMG_16151-3.jpg

GardenMaven
02-12-2014, 07:23 PM
The changes are a success, in my opinion. The writing draws attention to the letter, along with the golden sparkle on the tea cup. And, of course the best part for me, the lamp still glows!

lovin art
02-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Really Really beautiful ......:)

zbarrister
02-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Carol, the original was beautiful, but the changes that you've added have made a HUGE difference, and have taken this piece to a new level. Adding the suggestion of writing to the letter helps to define it & give it the importance that it deserves. In the original, the background wallpaper was so busy that it was competing with the center of interest. Toning it down, giving it a darker value, and making it recede, allows the letter & other objects on the table to be highlighted by the glow from the lamp.

You've given more dimension to the lamp base, given the table a greater richness, and have created a warm and wonderful mood.

Brava !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Z

soultosoul
02-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Agree with all of that. Beautiful!

carolkay
02-13-2014, 10:08 PM
The changes are a success, in my opinion. The writing draws attention to the letter, along with the golden sparkle on the tea cup. And, of course the best part for me, the lamp still glows!

Thank you very much sandi. After some suggestions I did work on it some more and probably learned some more.

carolkay
02-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Really Really beautiful ......:)

Thank you much lady. My brain hasn't been much with it lately . I darkened background and added tich of cool into it. Even though the light was warming all the area around it emmensly.

carolkay
02-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Carol, the original was beautiful, but the changes that you've added have made a HUGE difference, and have taken this piece to a new level. Adding the suggestion of writing to the letter helps to define it & give it the importance that it deserves. In the original, the background wallpaper was so busy that it was competing with the center of interest. Toning it down, giving it a darker value, and making it recede, allows the letter & other objects on the table to be highlighted by the glow from the lamp.

You've given more dimension to the lamp base, given the table a greater richness, and have created a warm and wonderful mood.

Z

z. Yr comments have also warmed my heart greatly.. It's been hard to concentrate lately...so I'm greatful for this to come to a fruition. Thanks so kindly

carolkay
02-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Agree with all of that. Beautiful!

Thanks very much michael

DavidPriestley
02-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Really nice.
If I had some money, and space to hang it, I'd buy that.

carolkay
02-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Ohh David-- you are very kind, I'm hoping this will grace someones home eventually. Thank you kindly.

billmahler
02-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Good improvements, Carol.

*Deirdre*
02-15-2014, 12:22 PM

Z

Z said it so eloquently it expresses my thoughts exactly! :thumbsup: Carol, because of the difference from your original picture and the revised one... I would like to put a copy of the thread into our Hall of Fame....the reason for putting it in the Hall of Fame is because you were humble enough to see that the help you were offered was in the interests of the painting....and you acted on it, (very diligently) and the painting became so much better, not really because of what was said, but because of your interpretation of it. So please may I put a copy in the HoF?:D

I am going to join your threads as it is one picture!

carolkay
02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
That is perfectly fine Dierdre... And I thank you very much.

And thank you bill and to everyone !