PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive acrylic paintings ever sold?

alex101
02-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Hi, does anyone have any info about the most expensive acrylic paintings ever sold, and how it compares to oil and other paintings?

Also, I'd like to get peoples opinions on the pricing of some famous paintings, especially ones that sell for millions of dollars and has just a single color painted over the whole canvas.

Charlie's Mum
02-15-2014, 08:43 AM
A painting is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Try Googling for the historic info about prices.

just a single color painted over the whole canvas - again, depends how much a person wants it! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I don't have an opinion about what others pay - it's their money, their choice.

Babli21
02-15-2014, 10:16 AM
I don't claim that this is the most received, but I know an artist here in Florida who has sold several of her acrylic paintings in the $15,000 - $25,000 range.

I should note that these were large canvasses 3 feet by 4 feet.

Charlie's Mum
02-15-2014, 10:47 AM
I should think David Hockney's might well have sold for considerably more too ;)

susme48
02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
As I brought up in your other thread of oil vs. acrylic.... Andy Warhol painted in acrylics, and one of his went for right at 100 million and so did Roy Lichtenstein who sold one for about 56 million. All relative to how much someone wants a painting. Not quite sure why all the questions? Do you paint in oils or acrylics? Most of us here have not painted long enough to command these kinds of prices...:lol: not that I'd mind tho' :) Would love to see some of your work?

alex101
02-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Some of my work? I haven't painted anything yet XD

I have ideas of what to paint, but I still need to buy some materials.

acerimusdux
02-16-2014, 01:31 AM
This one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange,_Red,_Yellow), by Mark Rothko, sold for $86.9M. And one of Barnett Newan's acrylic works, Anna's Light, recently sold for $105.7M

Don't think oil vs. acrylic has any effect on price, though. Of course there are more high priced oil paintings, but most of them were painted before artists acrylics existed.