PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of paper works best for Artist's/Visual journals?

Punchy
02-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Greetings,
I am wanting to start keeping my first Artist's journal or Visual journal. Though I'm not sure, technically, what to call it. The kind I want to keep is where you write in it about 50% of the time and draw or sketch in it about 50% of the time. So you end up with a spiral bound book with both pictures and words. I was hoping to solicit some advice on which kind of paper seems to work best from those with experience keeping these journals. What kind of paper works best for you? I already know I want spiral bound paper because it's the easiest to both write in and draw in. But I'm just not certain which kind of paper to select. I also know that I only intend on using pencils and black pens only (no color anything), in my journal.

Thanks

DrDebby
02-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Punchy, welcome to Art Journal forum. The answer to your question is, it depends. Sorry, but it's true. Are you wanting to buy a spiral bound book or are you binding your own?

If you wish to purchase a book, there is a thread...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915272
that is our sketchbook review thread.

All that being said, I'd highly recommend the Stillman & Birn Alpha for your needs. The paper is lovely for pencil with enough tooth to get some layering and shading in and it's smooth enough for most pen, even fountain pen. It's also fairly opaque so there's not a lot of bleeding through unless you are using markers. Those are too much and will bleed through.

Good luck and show us what you come up with.

vhere
02-14-2014, 05:02 PM
I agree, it's really nice paper and the spiral binding is strong.