PDA

View Full Version : Tangy

bhavani.krishnan
02-13-2014, 03:58 PM
My latest... done last night from life.. 6x9 panel. C&C welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2014/980567-photo_10.JPG
I've included some details of my thought process in my blog :).

ItsaWonder
02-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Looks good!

Meredith

jocko500
02-13-2014, 05:03 PM
lovely

bhavani.krishnan
02-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks Meredith and Jocko..
As I am looking at the painting on my screen.. I'm thinking I need darker darks to ground my fruits a bit more. Do you agree?

doctoring in arts
02-14-2014, 02:13 AM
it does look tangy... great work..

Charlie's Mum
02-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Def. darks under the fruits -they're floating!:D
Love the juicy colours though, very citrus-y!
Maybe one or two harder edges to ad contrast? Just thought :D (I like thinking about your paintings ;))

LavenderFrost
02-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Good title! Love the bright colours of the fruit.

ColinS
02-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Beautiful painting, Bhavani. I agree with the comment about adding the darks to ground the fruit. But that lemon is just singing on the canvas. Did you use lemon yellow or play with cadmium yellow? The hint of segments on the right hand sliced tangelo are just right to my eye.

susme48
02-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks Meredith and Jocko..
As I am looking at the painting on my screen.. I'm thinking I need darker darks to ground my fruits a bit more. Do you agree?
Yep...the one leaf (the one near the lemon) seems to be floating...imo...I think if you brought the dark up to the edge it would help.

bhavani.krishnan
02-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Here is an update with darker darks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2014/980567-tangy.JPG
Mum - I've been thinking about what you said and I really appreciate your thoughts.. so always feel free to share. I think the problem in this is the lack of focal point. I painted what I saw and did not have a focal point in mind. I saw two contrasts, one was the yellow of the lemon against the orange to the left and other was the sharp edge on the cut orange to the right. Maybe I should have decided on a focal point and defined my edges and contrasts around it. I've been having lots of ups and downs with my painting recently. I was super-happy when I finished painting this but started hating it when I discovered the problems one by one :( . All part of the learning process but at times I feel frustrated and not sure if I am headed in the right direction... sorry for the rambling... feeling a bit low today...

Colin - Thank you my friend. I used Hansa Yellow light with a touch of cad yellow and white. Added ult blue and burnt umber for the shadows.
Susan - That leaf is curved such that only the ends are touching the table. hence the gap in the shadow.. you see what I mean?

ColinS
02-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Thanks Bhavani. Looks like a good excuse to add to my 'collection'. :lol:

I really like this painting, and I am glad you posted the updated version. There's so much positive energy in this. You really have a gift with colour and your art shows definite steady progress. The fact that you can find room for improvement in a painting like this only shows that you have the critical eye necessary to keep moving your art forward.

susme48
02-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Bhavani...when I put something down that is just touching at the ends, as your leaf...with your light direction, I see two shadows...one very dark, just at the edge of the 'leaf' and a lighter one under it, slightly lighter near the dark. Anyway, that's what I see. I do understand what you mean, somehow it just does not read right to me. I do like it, so that's what counts... :)

Sorry you are feeling low...know the feeling! I think sometimes, at least for me, I have a success and think I am going right along, and then I hit one that seems to fall flat and it's quite a letdown. From reading and seeing what others post, I think it's supposed to be like that. :) I love where you're going, and how you are getting there...there's a nice freedom and lightness in what you paint!! Hugs!!

bhavani.krishnan
02-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks Colin - You always say the nicest things :D
Susan - Thanks :heart:. Good to know I am not the only one :).
I do feel much better after reading your comments :)

ColinS
02-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Thanks Colin - You always say the nicest things :D
Susan - Thanks :heart:. Good to know I am not the only one :).
I do feel much better after reading your comments :)

And I was feeling :( today myself and then I went out and bought some hansa yellow to play with ;) .

RPut
02-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Just Luscious!

AprilJoy
02-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Love it, Bhavani! It would look great in my kitchen! :wink2: