PDA

View Full Version : origins as pit

saje
02-13-2014, 03:12 PM
rammed earth (pounded clay/sand), plaster, water colors. 20"x13"x8"

our origin that we stand on is the same pit that we condemn our children to...

saje
02-13-2014, 03:18 PM
picture number 10 is the child's head. it is sitting on a US penny to give a size comparison. I had trouble with the head until I attached it to it's parent, then I was able to get more detail. this head was a mask put over another face.

Nikki, this mask is for you!

birdhs
02-13-2014, 04:25 PM
I am not sure what to make of this.
but since you have posted here before, I am enamored of your 'style'
and I did not expect to understand it right away.

curious to hear reactions from others

tanxfersharinwidus

greggo

stampedes
02-13-2014, 09:29 PM
reminds me of the dioramas in a natural history museum. there's real allegory and an allusion to history through the use of materials, and in that sense the materials really suit the theme of the piece. I can't stop wondering whether the piece is optimistic or pessimistic, but in the end it doesn't matter. it's life!

saje
02-14-2014, 02:25 PM
stampedes-yes this is like dioramas especially with the earth base.

optimistic or pessimistic-either or but when our origins confine our children, when children are to mirror their parents as when our environmental/political limits define our selves and our children then human progression is stymied. We then are throwing our children into the hole of our past...to me.

This all comes to me not in preconception but in poetic revelry. I interpret the sculptures just the same as anyone else.

Thanks Greggo!

Ishka Baha
02-14-2014, 04:10 PM
First, thanks Saje I feel much better now - it's absolutely perfect. Oh sacred ground, this is lovely. I know I have said it before but you create great expressions. I think of this piece as a valuable lesson to mankind.

Oh, sacred ground, always giving and asks for nothing but respect in order to be able to achieve its full potential for our off-spring.
Do unto it as you would do onto yourself.

Ishka Baha
02-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Human beings want to be special. They want to be different from the animals, to have a future beyond time and space, to live or die eternally. The search for significance in the dualistic system privileges one side over the other, and we find the development of one-sided thinking, to be the detriment of our earth.

I have only changed the last two words. This was written by a very good friend who has since passed. But just felt it was so fitting to this piece.

Patrick45
02-14-2014, 06:34 PM
I like it! No explanation is necessary!

saje
02-15-2014, 03:31 PM
thanks Nikki, your words expand the meaning and build upon the perception of the world around us.

patrick45-the piece speaks for itself and that is all we could want, thanks.

I have said this before: I had two solo exhibitions in Mexico. The people, families walked around, looked in, pointed, smiled, laughed, showed some sadness. Until this point I have never had this in the US or minimally within WC. Usually people have just walked by without a double take.

Here in WC, and yes it is an international forum, I am seeing some interpretative discussion. I am elated and thank you all from the inners of my creative being. Am I better at my expression, hope so, am I presenting them better, yes- thanks!