PDA

View Full Version : 2 color palette

DylanF
02-12-2014, 07:14 PM
did this quick 9x12 sketch yesterday thought id share it. i wanted to see what kindof color i could get with just mars black raw umber and tit white (golden paints). yess i know i jacked up the mouth of the jug and a couple other things are a little off im not used to working so small but i didnt want to spend the time to fix it as that wasnt the point of the exercise. im pretty astounded at the blue, green and warm golden yellowy orangesh colors i got so i thught others might find it interesting despite the fact that some of my drawing got jacked up in the process

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2014/1716539-1392212122644.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2014/1716539-1392212185870.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2014/1716539-1392212236461.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2014/1716539-1392212250050.jpg

susme48
02-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Must be the mars black...all I had was liquitex ivory black, and all I could get was some very neutral grays? Interesting...

monarchd
02-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Ok, that glow around the light is awesome! Yes, it does have a delightful green glow - which is that the mars and white or the raw umber and white?

And what about the lovely golden yellows - what combo was that?

I've found my favorite "black" as of late is Payne's gray with that great blue tone hiding in there.

I enjoy doing ultra limited palettes as well - really helps me focus on values rather than jump right into the next tube of bright orange sitting around. :D

DylanF
02-12-2014, 07:51 PM
pretty sure its the mars. its quite blue. mixed with quinacridone crimson it makes lovley earthy violets. the warm cool contrast helps allot too it looked closer to neutral greys till i added the warm tones to it. there isnt very many mixes between the umber and black its almost all tints of pure umber or mars black with the exeption of the lamp and the shadows and a little bit of neutral grey in the forgound to boost the contrast between the eyeball, jug and table

DylanF
02-12-2014, 07:55 PM
the glow was done first by dry brushing umber and white then just white ontop of that. the golden yellows are ppure umber and white there just contrasted against the blue green and neutral greys so it looks alot more colorfull an the painting then it does by itself

LavenderFrost
02-13-2014, 01:42 PM
The limited palette worked well for you.

DylanF
02-13-2014, 06:47 PM
why thank you. i didnt think it would work that well at first but once things started to contrast a lot of cool stuff started hapening so i just took it as far as i could. at a couple points though resisting the erge to reach for a third tube made me feel kindof like a recovering alcoholic hanging out in a pub trying not to drink but i had a lot of fun and i learned a lot so this defenatly wont be the last time i restrinct color choice that much.
by the way hows the weather back east? i would not be able to live back east i freeze my buns off enough over here.

LavenderFrost
02-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Cold, cold, cold. My Christmas decorations are still outside. I usually put them away soon after Christmas but this year I just don't feel like it. And I see I'm not the only one, lol.

I rather enjoy working with a limited palette, it's kind of more relaxing when you don't have to worry about changing colours.

ColinS
02-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Cool idea. It is interesting to paint with just a limited palette as it forces you to see things differently; and it is a great way to explore colour. I have 'just' discovered Payne's grey in the last month. It is kind of exciting to have a new colour to try out, but of course the temptation to throw everything into every painting must be resisted. :)

(We have been very lucky on the West Coast this winter - the Easterners are being hammered)

monarchd
02-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Agree, a limited palette still life is the ultimate relaxation painting. My favorites for this exercise are Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Titanium White. Though, DylanF has inspired me to try other combo's now.

I was going for having an "out of the tube" cool and warm and bend color from there. Now I'm starting to think what other color combo's could meet this criteria...

DylanF
02-16-2014, 05:08 AM
yeah us west coasters had it pretty good this winter. on the topic of limmeted pallet and mixing it up. i recently had a conversation with someone on here about thalo green. i always hated thalo green but recently i had my eyes opened to what a rad mixing color it really is. so i thought id paint a landscape with a big ole blue sky and lots of nice earthy colors with nothing but : thalo green,med violet, cad red light, and cad yellow primrose. it may seem arbitrary but is actualy a fairly thought out choice. theres two pairs of mixing compliments yellow violet and a blueish green and an orangey red. but you mix the green with violet and the red with yellow you get a blue thats a little more saturated than paynes and you get a bright orange so anouther pair mixing compliments. so far i havnt actualy felt limmeted at all. sorry for the ramble there ive been really exited about wierd palette combos as of late