PDA

View Full Version : Making acrylic paint dry FASTER

AllisonR
02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
No, I'm not joking. I have some acrylic "rocks" and "branches" a few inches thick. Nice and dry on the outside skin, still moist and even wet as new on the inside, and it is over a week later. Granted, a moist, cool cellar. Anyone used an oven at a low temp to dry their acrylic paint? What about the oven once it is painted on a support (gessoed wood)?

Davkin
02-12-2014, 04:16 PM
I've used a hair drier before. If you can set it under a lamp close with an incandescent bulb that would work too, actually just a drop light inside a box set over the painting would work, prop the box up a little though to make sure some air gets out, in fact keep an eye on it, it could possibly get too hot in there. If you have a food dehydrator and the painting is small enough to fit in it that would work as well. If the oven can be set on a low enough temperature I think that would be okay, but I'm thinking no higher than 120*F or so.

I suspect you've got a humidity problem, not a temperature problem, of course the heat would chase away the humidity.

David

monarchd
02-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Yup, the only reason I own a hairdryer is for painting :D

I don't get too close with it and use the low setting just to get some warm air flowing over it for a few minutes intervals.

For thicker applications, I take a spare piece of canvas and use the same thickness on that that I use on my painting - then, I can poke at the sample to test "doneness" without accidentally messing up my painting.

NRC
02-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Feb 11, 2014 Painters' Keys, Robert Genn http://clicks.robertgenn.com/horizontal-notes.php he mentioned (sometimes I have a couple of paintings going at the same time and have an assistant take them and put them on an electric heater behind me)..

Wonder what kind of electric heater, how long ????

janinco
02-12-2014, 11:01 PM
You can buy a portable dehumidifier which would help without having to risk using heat. I live in a very dry climate and I have to run a humidifier constantly just so I have time to blend. Even thicker paint dries to the touch in a minute or two. I have bought used dehumidifiers in the past for about $25.

Jan

~JMW~
02-13-2014, 12:50 AM
My studio is in an outside building with only a space heater for use when I'm out there.
Cold /moist winter time is great for long blending times, but if I want something to dry faster I bring it into the house.
We have a wood stove so the dry air and extra heat works well to speed it up.

ItsaWonder
02-13-2014, 04:16 PM
I have put mine in front of a heater for awhile (not too close!). But generally use a hair dryer because the issue is usually wanting something to dry quickly so I can overpaint. I've never had anything acrylic take over a week to dry. Then again, I've never painted anything that was INCHES thick!!! May we see it? Please????

Thanks...Meredith

mke112
02-15-2014, 12:30 PM
That's pretty thick. I use a hair dryer too but I've never ever painted anything that thick.

monarchd
02-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Sometimes if I take the painting right from being blown dry (hair dryer) and try to put paint on it, it tacks up super fast. I guess it's still warm? I let it air cool for a few minutes after blow drying a layer before going in with more paint.

Fox_eNova
02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Hair dryer for sure here.

wal_t
02-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Not sure how to do that when the paint layer is a few inches thick .... Maybe use a filler product first and then apply the paint over it. Walter

artbymdp
02-17-2014, 11:35 PM
The concern I would have is maybe you pushed the limit on wet paint application. To obtain very thick applications I find it necessary to apply it in layers with each layer fully dried. I also use modeling paste. Learning the hard way I did find too thick of an application will develop cracks especially when exposed to temperature change.