PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 10 Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
02-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Paint Along 10 with Johannes Vloothuis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2014/135220-7_33.jpg

Follow Johannes' steps with other students in a relaxed non formal studio environment. Strengthen your painting skills with 4 hours of painting fun each
Saturday from Feb 22 to March 8. He will start a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch and if you want you will be able to complete
your own art creation as well by painting along. During the class you will receive verbal techniques, color combinations, professional secrets, and instructions
to guide you along the way. If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry, the classes will be recorded and available for download at
no extra cost so you miss nothing. One demo will be in oils, another in watercolor and another in pastels. 12 hours of top quality art instruction. Johannes is
an official instructor for the publishers of Northlight books and The Artist’s Magazine will reveal his professional secrets!

TIME: 1:00 to 5:00 PM EST (The class may extend more than 4 hours)
DATES: 3 Saturdays: Feb 22 to March 8

Register here: $18.99
http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis?source=igodigital

mickisew
02-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Purchased and registered. Excited to start again. Beautiful painting, Johannes!

Micki

Jacdesusbielle
02-13-2014, 02:36 AM
Purchased and registered as well. Looking forward to your next paint along. Superb fall scene Jo, so well done !!

Tonalist
02-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Beautiful painting Jo..

woody

nancysue10
02-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered and ready!! That painting is so beautiful Jo. By the way thank you for your help with the IP address thing on wet canvas! You saved my life!

mickisew
02-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Oh my! The reference for Saturday (February 22) looks like a real challenge! I, for one, need more practice in this area and will try my best.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
02-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Oh my! The reference for Saturday (February 22) looks like a real challenge! I, for one, need more practice in this area and will try my best.

Micki
The finished painting will not have the colors in the photo neither the sky. I will depict a sunset with warm lights turned on inside the homes. I am going for a mood once more, not the average scene you see all the time.

just having fun
02-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Jo would it be possible to post photos of the paintings in advance or subject matter I think this would help a lot in making a decision on taking this paint a long.

Johannes Instructor
02-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Jo would it be possible to post photos of the paintings in advance or subject matter I think this would help a lot in making a decision on taking this paint a long.
They have been posted since yesterday for class 1.

just having fun
02-19-2014, 01:07 PM
The only way you can see the posted painting or drawings, you have to pay first? I think more students would join the paint alongs by seeing what we are going to paint.:eek:

Rosemarie
02-19-2014, 01:18 PM
If you want to learn painting it really doesn't matter sp much which image you are paintning. These Paint Alongs are for learning paintng landscapes. I don't paint all images but I do attend and learn.

Johannes Instructor
02-19-2014, 09:10 PM
The only way you can see the posted painting or drawings, you have to pay first? I think more students would join the paint alongs by seeing what we are going to paint.:eek:
Have you taken classes with me before? Most artists end up learning so much that they totally trust my criteria for the painting sessions. I don't have anything to hide so here is the first reference photo from which I will derive a painting this Feb 22. The finished painting will not have the colors in the photo neither the sky. I will depict a sunset with warm lights turned on inside the homes. I am going for a mood once more, not the average scene you see all the time. The purpose is to take a boring photo like this and convert it in a scene that will entice you to walk into and explore.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2014/135220-GridRef.jpg

carolyn2001
02-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi Joe

Thanks for posting the reference photo.

This time I want to actually 'paint along' with you. I think that will be very exciting and educational. What are you editing out of the photo? I want my painting to be as close to your's as I can. That way, I'll be walking through it step by step which, from your other paint alongs this is the best way for me to learn.

Thanks for posting the reference and your teaching in awesome!

Carolyn
Avon, CT

mickisew
02-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Johannes:

I presume you will do the drawing at the onset of class? In any event, I will only do a rough drawing of masses as you have taught us in the past.

Every paint-along class is a learning experience. Even though I have been with you from the beginning, I could go back, start with the Landscape course to current, and still learn from each and every one. That is why I prefer the paint-along classes as you incorporate so much of our learning as we paint with you or from the video.

I think I speak for all of us in saying "thank you" for your sharing.

The canvas is toned - better get to this drawing! :-)

Micki

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Johannes:

I presume you will do the drawing at the onset of class? In any event, I will only do a rough drawing of masses as you have taught us in the past.

Every paint-along class is a learning experience. Even though I have been with you from the beginning, I could go back, start with the Landscape course to current, and still learn from each and every one. That is why I prefer the paint-along classes as you incorporate so much of our learning as we paint with you or from the video.

I think I speak for all of us in saying "thank you" for your sharing.

The canvas is toned - better get to this drawing! :-)

Micki
I feel the grided photo is self explanatory for a drawing. I didn't think a separate drawing was required because I am actually taking the shapes quite verbatim this time which is rare.

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Hi Joe

Thanks for posting the reference photo.

This time I want to actually 'paint along' with you. I think that will be very exciting and educational. What are you editing out of the photo? I want my painting to be as close to your's as I can. That way, I'll be walking through it step by step which, from your other paint alongs this is the best way for me to learn.

Thanks for posting the reference and your teaching in awesome!

Carolyn
Avon, CT
That's the spirit!

mickisew
02-20-2014, 05:06 PM
I feel the grided photo is self explanatory for a drawing. I didn't think a separate drawing was required because I am actually taking the shapes quite verbatim this time which is rare.

That is what I did on the toned surface - placement and shapes - not a lot of detail.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2014, 10:09 AM
That is what I did on the toned surface - placement and shapes - not a lot of detail.

Micki
Good thing about dark scenes is you can eliminate detail.

desthers
02-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered today, Saturday. The link did not take me to Johannes class info page, rather to GotoMeeting. What is up with folks at NLS?
Diane

Rosemarie
02-22-2014, 12:58 PM
YOu need to register to the GotoMeeting so Johannes can send you mails. But we will not use the GoToMeeting. Take you time when you register on GoToMeeting and you will be moved to the student page. Can take 10 seconds or so.

desthers
02-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Rosemarie,
Thanks for your help. I have done all his others classes. The problem arose due to my signing up on the day of the class. I completed the registration page as usual, however there was no link to Johannes' web page at the bottom. I have bookmarked all the other classes. Rather the only option was to use GotoMeeting to find the actual link. This is a problem at NLS. I will never wait to register on the last day again. Diane

Johannes Instructor
02-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Have you taken classes with me before? Most artists end up learning so much that they totally trust my criteria for the painting sessions. I don't have anything to hide so here is the first reference photo from which I will derive a painting this Feb 22. The finished painting will not have the colors in the photo neither the sky. I will depict a sunset with warm lights turned on inside the homes. I am going for a mood once more, not the average scene you see all the time. The purpose is to take a boring photo like this and convert it in a scene that will entice you to walk into and explore.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2014/135220-GridRef.jpg

Here is the painting based on the photo above. You can download the entire painting demo (over 5 hours) to see how it was done and learn valuable pointers if you sign up. This will allow to attend 2 more sessions of at least 4 hours each. For more info http://improvemypaintings.com

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2014/135220-IMG_1769.jpg

Rosemarie
02-23-2014, 01:37 AM
Rosemarie,
I completed the registration page as usual, however there was no link to Johannes' web page at the bottom. Diane
There never is. You have to be patient when you have egisterd in GoToMeeting and you will be moved to the page, which you can bookmark at that time.

Johannes Instructor
02-23-2014, 09:45 AM
There never is. You have to be patient when you have egisterd in GoToMeeting and you will be moved to the page, which you can bookmark at that time.
Diane send me an email with your receipt.

carolyn2001
02-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Amazing class yesterday....you make it look so easy....I'm still trying to draw the buildings. I will complete it, though! Next week I need to have the drawing complete prior to class. I was wondering if you were going to edit the photo as far as the buildings were concerned. (My way of avoiding drawing the buildings...lol)

I'm pretty amazed to see your artistic interpretation of that very bland photo.

Very inspiring which is what I need!

thanks so much
Carolyn

Johannes Instructor
02-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Amazing class yesterday....you make it look so easy....I'm still trying to draw the buildings. I will complete it, though! Next week I need to have the drawing complete prior to class. I was wondering if you were going to edit the photo as far as the buildings were concerned. (My way of avoiding drawing the buildings...lol)

I'm pretty amazed to see your artistic interpretation of that very bland photo.

Very inspiring which is what I need!

thanks so much
Carolyn
I won't be editing any of the reference photos. The painting is done.

tstellma
02-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Hello Johannes,
you said in your paintalong that at sunrise more orange should be applied, at sunset more red. I don´t know if I noted it right, please correct me.
Do you have an explanation for the different usage of color at sunset and sunrise?
Thank you!

KatyaFox
02-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Great class yesterday! I was completing registration so I didn't get the sketch until beginning if class. I decided to sketch quick and paint with you. I have a lot if perspective issues but never the less happy with the learning and the result. Comments welcome.

Johannes Instructor
02-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Hello Johannes,
you said in your paintalong that at sunrise more orange should be applied, at sunset more red. I don´t know if I noted it right, please correct me.
Do you have an explanation for the different usage of color at sunset and sunrise?
Thank you!
The reverse is true sunrises tend to be more pink. Sunsets tend to be more orange.

carolyn2001
02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
I won't be editing any of the reference photos. The painting is done.

Hi Johannes

I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant prior to the first class I didn't know if your preliminary sketch on the canvas would have edited the buildings, etc. And, in order for me to follow along, I wanted my sketch to be similar to yours. I didn't mean that you would edit it now that the painting is done.

So, in other words, prior to Saturday, can you either post your sketched canvas so I know how you are editing the photo?

thanks
Carolyn

Johannes Instructor
02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Hi Johannes

I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant prior to the first class I didn't know if your preliminary sketch on the canvas would have edited the buildings, etc. And, in order for me to follow along, I wanted my sketch to be similar to yours. I didn't mean that you would edit it now that the painting is done.

So, in other words, prior to Saturday, can you either post your sketched canvas so I know how you are editing the photo?

thanks
Carolyn
Carolyn the references were posted at least three days before the class.

Vickyrose
02-24-2014, 12:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2014/531781-P1000349_800x599.jpg

Johannes,
Loved the class Sat. I painted along wth you until around 5:30. Here is my unfinished attempt. The palette was quite a challenge for me.
Thank you for giving these classes. You are a treasure for sure.
Victoria

Johannes Instructor
02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2014/531781-P1000349_800x599.jpg

Johannes,
Loved the class Sat. I painted along wth you until around 5:30. Here is my unfinished attempt. The palette was quite a challenge for me.
Thank you for giving these classes. You are a treasure for sure.
Victoria
Nice foggy scene with soothing color temperature. Well done indeed!

carolyn2001
02-26-2014, 09:15 AM
not the reference photo, post your canvas so i see your edits. never mind!

TMOORE13
02-26-2014, 07:40 PM
@just having fun.… I have not paid for a class here before either, but where else can you get basically 12-15 hours of personal painting lessons.. he tells you what he is doing, why is doing it even what not to do. he combines drawing lessons, perspective lessons, color theory, paint choice, why to choose a type of paint.. even answers questions you can ask as he paints …what more could you ask for $20... go check out the demo he has posted at Improve my painting.. you won't be disappointed.

LadyMadonna
02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
I admit I had a difficult time painting this piece due to rocks and buildings which I always have a tough time with. I do not feel I can do much more to this on my own.
I did have the bird but I removed it because mine was not well done. I did put in another if you can find it ...with as you say " one lucky stroke."
For all of you new students, Jo is a patient, generous and excellent teacher.

just having fun
02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Just for the record, I have been with Johannes from the very beginning, paint from photos, mountains buldings,trees,rocks etc. Also all the paint alongs 1 thur 8, unfortunately for me I have been locked out of my computer and loss all my downloaded lessions. My one and only question was could he post photos of what we would be painting without paying for the course first. I do not paint with pastels so I skip those lessions, and the course is still a bargain!.

mickisew
02-27-2014, 01:46 PM
For those who captured the drawing with grid on Wednesday (like I did) for Class 2, please note that the drawing is changed. Off to get a sketch on surface.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
02-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Just for the record, I have been with Johannes from the very beginning, paint from photos, mountains buldings,trees,rocks etc. Also all the paint alongs 1 thur 8, unfortunately for me I have been locked out of my computer and loss all my downloaded lessions. My one and only question was could he post photos of what we would be painting without paying for the course first. I do not paint with pastels so I skip those lessions, and the course is still a bargain!.
I wouldn't skip them because it is not about the medium. It is more about problem solving and compositional secrets that would apply in all mediums..

lildip
02-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Every lesson, whether oil, WC, or pastels, tll a lot about the art and act of painting no matter whether you do that type or not. I've been here since the very beginning and can't ever seem to "get enough'. there's something to learn in each lesson. thankyou jo for your patience and help. Lidlip:clap:

lildip
02-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Madonna, I've been waiting to see what you were going to do. I'm happy to see you are still painting. I've been trying to see what you'd come up with next. I like your style. lildip

LadyMadonna
02-28-2014, 01:26 PM
That is really nice of you to write. Thank you. It was definitely a challenge.

elisamaria
03-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Thank you Johannes for all your excellent webinars and paint alongs during these three years I have been your faithful student:) . I would be very pleased to get some honest critique and comments of my painting from yesterday. Pastel on Canson Mi-Teintes 30x40cm with Rembrandt, Girault, Schmincke pastel sticks without any underpainting in wet.

Elisabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2014/735472-IMG_0979.jpg

Johannes Instructor
03-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Thank you Johannes for all your excellent webinars and paint alongs during these three years I have been your faithful student:) . I would be very pleased to get some honest critique and comments of my painting from yesterday. Pastel on Canson Mi-Teintes 30x40cm with Rembrandt, Girault, Schmincke pastel sticks without any underpainting in wet.

Elisabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2014/735472-IMG_0979.jpg
I'll tell you what. Next class I will critique the submissions for the whole course.

Borntobeanartist
03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Thank you Jon tor these wonderful classes! I am learning so much! I did the class sat with pan pastels.

Jacdesusbielle
03-03-2014, 08:41 AM
[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2014/1067432-image.jpg[
Thank you once again for a tremendous class Jo. You are really the best !
For this painting, I am not that happy with the mountains and the water. But I enjoyed doing this landscape and with pastel sticks ! Will have to look for mineral spirit, I don't know what it is in French.
Thank you again. If you go to Italy, please count me in !

Jacdesusbielle
03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2014/1067432-image.jpg

Don't know where my pic had disappeared .... Here it is

Johannes Instructor
03-03-2014, 12:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2014/1067432-image.jpg

Don't know where my pic had disappeared .... Here it is
Yummy! That looks nice. Way to go! If you can tone down the yellow green on the mountain because it stacks above the yellow green trees.

Jacdesusbielle
03-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Thank you Jo. I enjoy so much your classes. What a Master you are !

Wetpaint0938
03-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Finished the painting in Pan Pastels I had a hard time getting the light colors to show on the snow had water color paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2014/980416-IMG_0042.JPG Great class again

LadyMadonna
03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
I will admit this was yet another difficult process for me. I feel I have overworked this piece and wish I had stopped a full 2 hours before the finish. I used an oil underpainting and wished I had left more of it.

Johannes Instructor
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
How about a view of Manhattan Skyscrapers from Central Park in a twilight setting? That's the theme for the March 8 Painting. If you have not signed up for this course you can still do so and see how I do this painting and be able to download the recordings from the previous classes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2014/135220-DrawingMarch8.jpg

eduj
03-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Not real happy with this one; I think my values are off in the mountains. I don't feel much depth in this painting. Joh, you make it look sooo easy yet when I try it, it just looks wrong. I'm going to keep on trying! :crossfingers:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2014/160480-03012014_mine.jpg

Johannes Instructor
03-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Not real happy with this one; I think my values are off in the mountains. I don't feel much depth in this painting. Joh, you make it look sooo easy yet when I try it, it just looks wrong. I'm going to keep on trying! :crossfingers:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2014/160480-03012014_mine.jpg
I feel you have depth, Use lavenders instead of blue green in the distance. Also design you snow shapes in an abstract way so it doesn't appear it is broken frosting on a cake. You did a good job overall.

Johannes Instructor
03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
I will admit this was yet another difficult process for me. I feel I have overworked this piece and wish I had stopped a full 2 hours before the finish. I used an oil underpainting and wished I had left more of it.
Donna I would create more of a carved out look to the mountain. Rocky mountains need to be hard edged angular and crisp, not vague or diffused.

Johannes Instructor
03-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Finished the painting in Pan Pastels I had a hard time getting the light colors to show on the snow had water color paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2014/980416-IMG_0042.JPG Great class again
Nicely done. As you continue your artistic walk make an effort to reduce color saturation. Somewhere amongst the grays is the sweet spot of color. Personally as you have heard me say. If I can find an excuse to remove green I will use it. The idea is that the painting should show an "Out of the ordinary look".

just having fun
03-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Jo central park in twilight setting , what a fantastic choice will sign up today. How about a painting with a train in it, maybe next paintalong?.:clap:

horsthh
03-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Here are the first two painting from class 1 and 2, I painted right along with oil, on a 12 by 16 and 11 by 14 canvas panel. Thank you Johannes for the great instructions.

Johannes Instructor
03-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Jo central park in twilight setting , what a fantastic choice will sign up today. How about a painting with a train in it, maybe next paintalong?.:clap:
Funny you would mention that. I did that once and the National Train System in Mexico bought 3000 prints of it as a gift to all the employees.

carolyn2001
03-08-2014, 08:23 AM

I absolutely love it. I love the abstract nature of it, the trees, the water. I personally dislike when everything is defined for my eye. The trees are killer! wonderful. Be proud, it says what it is meant to say, when I look at it, I don't say, nice tropical scene, it expresses exactly what the scene is while giving the eye something to ponder and explore!

Carolyn

eduj
03-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Thank you, Joh, for commenting. I did use lavenders on the mountains; I will try another value of the lavenders and see if that shows more depth. I will also change the snow to be abstract. You are a great teacher that I respect more and more. My prayer is you will continue to find value in sharing your knowledge and incredible talent with all of us!:) Jude

horsthh
03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Todays paint lesson, painted along with Johannes in oil, 11 by 14 on panel, always lots fun with instructions and comments by students. Thank You Johannes, for the critique, it was very helpful.

chickadeedee
03-08-2014, 10:19 PM
What a wonderful class this and the other 2 weeks were! Cannot wait for the next one.

LadyMadonna
03-09-2014, 06:23 PM
I quite enjoyed painting the cityscape along with Johannes in the Saturday workshop. This is oil on canvas 16 by 20.

painterted
03-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Great workshop Joe, looking forward to the street scenes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2014/909312-P1010006.JPG

Jacdesusbielle
03-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Great workshop Joe, looking forward to the street scenes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2014/909312-P1010006.JPG
Very nice work Ted and not easy to do. You succeeded in giving depth to the painting and light at the good places. Good job !

Jacdesusbielle
03-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Marvellous class last Saturday Jo ! You surprised us with this scene, but the painting was even more astonishing. You deserve an enormous bravo !
I was just watching this time and during four hours I wondered how I would do that in pastel for there is no glazing in pastel so it is difficult to give such light and transparency.... Anyway, I'll try it one day. Thank you for these 3 Saturdays so rich with learning, discovering and friendship.

ToskaFromAlabama
03-10-2014, 09:53 PM
TED, I LIKE IT!

I missed this Saturday. I was at a National exposition Reception etc.
Looks like I missed a good one.
Toska

Banner
03-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Lovely painting Ted I just love your watercolour paintings

mickisew
03-11-2014, 02:16 PM
[quote=painterted]Great workshop Joe, looking forward to the street scenes.

Your painting is exceptional, Ted! You have such a command on water color. Look forward to seeing more in the future.

Micki

painterted
03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Thank you Micki, Banner, Toska and Jacdesusbielle for your kind comments.

ted

flowerartwater
03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks for your kind words, Mickisew. As soon as Jo started with the rosy wash over the background buildings I knew where I wanted to go with this painting. I try to paint realistically, but my heart seems to really be in fantasy renderings. I like to invite the viewer to daydream that they are in my paintings and to see what's around the next corner or a little further down the path and just a small step away from real life. Nancy Pinkhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2014/189424-Winter_Fantasy_-_Central_Park_framed_30pc.jpg

Johannes Instructor
03-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your kind words, Mickisew. As soon as Jo started with the rosy wash over the background buildings I knew where I wanted to go with this painting. I try to paint realistically, but my heart seems to really be in fantasy renderings. I like to invite the viewer to daydream that they are in my paintings and to see what's around the next corner or a little further down the path and just a small step away from real life. Nancy Pinkhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2014/189424-Winter_Fantasy_-_Central_Park_framed_30pc.jpg
You did achieve a story book quality. You succeeded!