PDA

View Full Version : Green

DylanF
02-12-2014, 05:33 AM
First off id like to say hello as this is my first post. Ive been reading hear for a while and finally decided to join (not so comfortable whith the whole technology thing even though im in my mid 20's) anwho to my main point. Im an acrylic painter. mostly surreal stuff some quite bold and graphic some quite anchored in reality. my main pallete consists of titanium white, cad yellow primrose, cad red light, cad red medium, quinacridone crimson, medium violet, ultramarine blue, cobalt blue, and raw umber(all Golden paints exept ultramarine which is galeria as i like the color of theres the most) . receently someone i know comented on my palette choice remarking on my lack of green saying i cant mix any high chroma greens and saying i should add pthalo green. ive also read similar comments on a few threads. now my question is where the heck in painting anything even close to resembling something real would you need somthing that saturated. i barley ever use cobalt to mix greens because they are too bright. i usualy opt for mixes of ultramarine and cad primrose sometimes even some raw umber or cad red to tone down a bit so wouldnt pthalo mixes just look like flouresent toxic slime? also ive been thinking about subtractive mixing lattley and woundering why as kids we where taught that ryb where primaries and couldn be mixed to with orange green and purple. I pulled out a tube of pthalo green from my first set of acrylics ( used maybe thrice in the last 3 years) and some cad orange and diox and to my shagrin orange+violit=large aray of earthy reds, violit+green=some nice blues similar to prusian blue and paynes grey, and green+orange= yellows imbetween raw sienna and yellow ochre. sorry for the ramble fest as you can tell im a babbler.

kinasi
02-12-2014, 05:52 AM
green also allows for high chroma lemon yellos and turquoise

where you would use a high chroma green, stoplights, green car, some flora is extremely green, some birds have extremely green feathers, I dunno

many objects in real life are actually made with phthalo green

you shouldn't just see the benefits of phthalo in masstone, when mixed with white, phthalo keeps it's strength, other greens do not

but if you never felt you needed a green that grene, yes, who cares, depends on what you paint

DylanF
02-12-2014, 05:59 AM
after reading your response i realized i answred my own question a little too as pthalo green and diox purple make some of the sweetest blues

DylanF
02-12-2014, 06:04 AM
[quote=kinasi]
some birds have extremely green feathers,

i just looked at my parrot and realized she is so green i coudnt paint her with the palette i have unless i putt allot of really muted reds and oranges surrounding her

kinasi
02-12-2014, 06:20 AM
I made a comparison once to see what color gamut I had with a phtalo blue and a hansa lemon yellow PY3....and what gamut I had with the phtalo green

there is a whole gap around the green area that is really hard to create without a phthalo green. Phthalo has a lot of tinting stregth, it is dark to make out the exact hue out of the tube because it starts off relatively low value. But the gamut a phthalo gives you quickly makes up for it's shortcomings. If you use a knife to mix instead of a brush, phthalo is also easier to control.

there is another printing model besided CMYK, it's Hexachrome, it was made to increase the color gamut, and the added paint are orange and green, because that's where the highest chroma gaps are in a subtractive CMYK model

kinasi
02-12-2014, 06:35 AM
http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp26article2.php

the only problem with some of Golden's suggestions is that they tend to not take into account that black paint is needed since it's extremely hard to create with high chroma colors and it's just a handy mixer for low values, but they've realised you need green too if you want a high gamut for today's world, their 8 colors include a green to cover the gap between blue and yellow

DylanF
02-12-2014, 07:06 AM
youve actualy made me reconsider pthalo green now. with cad yellow primrose and cad red light theres no gap in oranges but using quinacridont crimson and cobalt blue to mix my darkest darks i do see some deficiencies i usualy have to adjust for so i think i will try a small painting whith pthalo green on my pallete cause i can see how it might make things easier. i wasnt thinking about its mixing capabilities much because it is so bright and off putting. as for the tinting strength i always use a palette knife to mix up my main pile also what i do with colors like pthalo blue when i used to use it was to add a good blob of what im mixing with the pthalo blue first to kind of buffer it a bit then ill start adding that to my mix. no real worry about overdoing it then

kinasi
02-12-2014, 07:18 AM
I did this to show it's a clean mixer once with phthalo in some other thread

it has very small particles, transparent, reaches very high chroma in tints, it is everything a mixer should be, incredibly clean pigment, and cheap on top of all that

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2014/1558522-1558522-dfgdgfdfdgd.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2014/1558522-1558522-khkh.JPG

well, hope your painting works out for you, my palette now alwys has phthalo green on it, once it's under control, it's amazing

DylanF
02-12-2014, 07:45 AM
thanks for all your replies. i just tried some mixing quickly and realized along with mixing with diox to get nice blues i can mix pthalo green with my cad red light to get a nice opaque black. i think just to push the limits ill try doing the painting with a wierdo palatte of pthalo green, med violet, cad red light, and cad yellow primrose

Gigalot
02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
For Cadmium Red paint, Phthalo is OK, Cobalt Blue deep is a great mixer and Black color is nice too. Talking about Black paint - it is most effective to make Red shades, a very comfortable mixer to all red/magenta paints. But it is less effective to mix with yellow.

As for Phthalo green, I think it is "must have" oil paint. Without any alternative to it.
(actually, parrot's green color is a mixture of Phthalo green, PY3 or Cadmium Lemon and some White. Personally, I use Strontium Yellow. A bit of White must be added immediately to a properly colored Phthalo/Lemon mixture, because parrot's green is not fully saturated. It is a tint.)

DylanF
02-12-2014, 06:19 PM
amongst all my other paint that isnt on my everyday pallete mars black gets used the most but not enough to add it in perminently. i use it as a blue though i find it easyer to get the results im after if i treat it as a color rather than as black. as for pthalo green ive never even considered it untill kinasi made me reevaluate my position on the matter. so to me its not necessary. yesterday i wouldhave called you lazie. but after playing with it i see why u use it now and its not lazyness. pthalo green is pretty sweet so far. hasnt made it in yet but its close. im liking the darks and im liking the other mixes it really is quite a unique pigment

DylanF
02-12-2014, 06:27 PM
a little off topic but has anyone tried the single pigment green gold from winsor newton. in either the artist acrylic or galeria range? been considering it but would like to hear if there is anything unique about it. it seems like a lot of greens i mix up but theres somthing really atractive about it latley. and wanted to know if anyone finds it to have unique working properties or if its just more of a convenience. if theres nothing special i dont want to waste the time and feel lazy but if theres a unique quality to the pigment i cant get with the palette i have i dont want to miss out either

opainter
02-13-2014, 12:25 AM
a little off topic but has anyone tried the single pigment green gold from winsor newton. in either the artist acrylic or galeria range? been considering it but would like to hear if there is anything unique about it. it seems like a lot of greens i mix up but theres somthing really atractive about it latley. and wanted to know if anyone finds it to have unique working properties or if its just more of a convenience. if theres nothing special i dont want to waste the time and feel lazy but if theres a unique quality to the pigment i cant get with the palette i have i dont want to miss out either
I have not used green gold. But Golden Paints say many acrylic painters consider it to be a "go-to" color, and they've included it in the small number of high-flow acrylics that are part of their introductory "marker set." This set is very new, and I'm not sure if it is on store shelves yet. (I don't know if it is available in Canada.)