PDA

View Full Version : Things look strange since taking lessons. Is it just me??

Bastet469
02-12-2014, 03:49 AM
Hi all,
I've noticed changes in how I see things since I started learning how to paint. It's hard not to see things as a collection of shapes instead of a whole image. People's faces look like a bunch of circles and ovals etc. It makes interacting with people a little surreal, like being stuck in a live abstract painting. I don't do drugs, in case you're wondering, but I'd imagine it would make the condition worse. Anyway, should I be concerned, or will this go away over time?

Apodemus
02-12-2014, 05:45 AM
No, it doesn't go away, it gets better and better with time!

maryinasia
02-12-2014, 05:54 AM
exactly!

drawingApprentice
02-12-2014, 06:29 AM
..then I'm not studying hard enough. It doesn't happen to me.
What I can do instead is to be able to switch between "left" and "right" brain when watching a face. For example, if I have a photo of a famous person, I can switch to "right" brain and see the face for what really is, without "seeing" the famous in it. Just a face and its parts.

Charlie's Mum
02-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the club!:lol:

In time, you'll stop 'thinking' about it but it's always there!
As you learn more, you'll see colours where you didn't see them before too ...... it's just the development of your observational skills :)

susme48
02-12-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't always notice it with people...but am so much more aware of light and shadow, cloud patterns, colors, perspective, etc. I find myself looking at most everything as a painting or possible painting...:lol: just thought it was me for a long time. :)

idylbrush
02-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Wow, you got it. Have a ball with it and enjoy the ride. You have something that few ever experience.

friesin
02-12-2014, 11:49 AM
thats one of the many wonderful things painting leads us to :clap:

PattiLou
02-12-2014, 12:46 PM
You sound 'normal' to me. :lol: I see things that my husband doesn't see and colors too. I'm always looking at things for composition and interesting shapes.

cem
02-12-2014, 01:07 PM
I must agree with everyone else. Enjoy the ride!

LavenderFrost
02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I don't exactly do that but I often think about how I would paint something.

What's strange is how really unobservant I am, lol. I can spend a day with someone and not be able to tell you what colour their hair was, stuff like that.