PDA

View Full Version : painting petunias

Lynn
01-18-2000, 12:08 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to paint petunias? I'm having a tough time getting them to look like anything. Right now they look like blobs of color.
Thanks,
Lynn

rcrod
01-18-2000, 02:15 AM
Have a look here Lynn in artschool online under watercolors there are some flower demo's ,Rod http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Watercolors/index.html

Phyllis Rennie
02-10-2000, 09:28 PM
I haven't tried petunias in watercolor but have a helf finished oil with white ones. They seem harder than many flowers to me because they don't have much structure. Have you tried other flowers? Petunias do have a cone shape--even though it flares open--similar to morning glories. You need to show that deep center in the ones that face you. The ones facing sideways are a little easier. They last a long time as cut flowers so try bring some inside to study the shape. Also set them up with a strong light to one side so you see good highlights and shadows. And pay attention to the leaves and stems--they help describe the flower. If this is your first attempt at florals, try another. I've done lots of flowers and found petunias difficult. I'd like to hear how you are making out with them. Phyl.