PDA

View Full Version : Water and foamboard?

owenj
02-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I started a painting on Multimedia Pastel Panel (says it's fine with wet washes) but was too heavy-handed and would like to start over. It's already adhered to acid-free foamboard using the Grafix Double Tack, so is it ok to wash the painting off without destroying the foamboard?

Davkin
02-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Should be okay. I've washed off paintings that were on Uart paper glued to foam board using spray adhesive, no problem. Just avoid getting the foam board wet.

David

Colorix
02-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Is it pastel dust you want to remove? More safe to use baking soda, IMHO. It removes pastel without any liquid needed.

owenj
02-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the advice! Never heard the baking soda one before Charlie, so I may give that a try in the sink and if it doesn't work...water!

Colorix
02-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Jaime, there's a thread somewhere here in Talk about it, fairly recent (within 2013, I think). Pour baking soda on painting, rub gently, pour soda off. Repeat of necessary. Whack painting on back, to dislodge soda. I usually take a brush to it, to get any remaining soda off. No ill effects to subsequent paintings, at least not for 5 years.

robertsloan2
02-13-2014, 12:38 AM
Wow. That's really interesting. I wouldn't have thought of it with the baking soda but that's clever. Sounds like it'd work to clean off an area to rework it too if I was doing that, as long as I was a bit careful about where the brushed-off parts went.

Colorix
02-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Robert, Yes, you can remove parts and bits too. The trick there is to turn the painting quickly when pouring off the soda/pigment mix, so it doesn't slide over the parts you want preserved (not a great catastrophy if it happens, but it will visibly remove some pigment). Turn it quickly either upside down, or at sharp angle, so the mix falls off instead of sliding over.

An article I wrote on the subject in The Pastel Scribbler (http://pastelguild.org/Scribbler/pastel_scribbler_mar2013.pdf#page=13) Hope the link works.

owenj
02-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Great article Charlie. I'm going to give it a try this weekend when I have some time to paint.