PDA

View Full Version : 1st time posting work

LotusBlossom
02-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Hi Folks
I've been a follower of WC for awhile and I decided it was time to post something. I am relatively new to painting, having 1st picked up a brush a few years ago and dabbling a bit. Last year I began to paint on a regular basis. This is a piece I did last fall for my first group art show and it sold. Yay! That being said, any mistakes cannot be corrected at this point but suggestions can certainly help improve my technique. I would like to paint these street scenes 'looser'. This one is 24x30 on gallery wrapped canvas and titled "Trolley #3".
Thanks for any feedback.
Cristine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2014/952545-Trolley_3_Resized.jpg

enelram
02-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I think this is incredibly well done! Your blending is awesome. It's one of the hardest things to do with acrylics and you've done a masterful job. Great colors and mood. Stay inspired and keep painting and posting.

doctoring in arts
02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
This painting looks amazing.. I cannot believe you are posting just now.. So unfair not to show off your works.. Just kidding..:)

congrats on the sale.. and keep posting.. looking forward to see your paintings

~JMW~
02-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Just lovely.

You want to paint looser than this?
I think it is perfect, just enough detail but not overly busy.
Maybe the only thing I can think of would be softer lines in the street?
They are the only hard lines I really notice..

JimR-OCDS
02-10-2014, 04:15 PM
I love this. :clap:

You really captured a city-scape which I've always liked.

Jim

susme48
02-10-2014, 04:55 PM
This is just beautfiul!! I love it!

artsask
02-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Very nice work.

Trudi

LotusBlossom
02-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind compliments. Your support is appreciated. I look forward to seeing your work as well and continuing to share and to learn.
Cristine

Faded
02-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Very well done, I wouldn't change a thing.
-David

LotusBlossom
02-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi Trudi
So nice to see a Saskatoon artist on here. I came across some of your photos in the reference library ~ winter shots. Very nice! I might take a stab at some of them.
Cristine

artsask
02-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Hello I didn't notice you were a Saskatoonian cool, I look forward to seeing the results.
You might want to check this site out. Might be right up your alley so to speak. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81w9PBZOmZ8

Trudi

kevinwueste
02-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Well done!

bhavani.krishnan
02-11-2014, 02:13 AM
Wow! This is amazing. Love it! I wouldn't change a thing. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

friesin
02-11-2014, 03:06 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

drawingApprentice
02-11-2014, 05:39 AM
Very nice! I think I'm going to do a landscape like yours soon. It is inspiring.

I'm not sure about the dimensions of that tram though. Also the perspective on the left buildings seems a bit incorrect.

edit: The perspective on the left buildings is correct I think. It looks like the road is curving to the right (going inside the painting)

ItsaWonder
02-11-2014, 06:10 AM
You have a really unique voice. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Meredith

Charlie's Mum
02-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the forum!
I think the interpretation of the scene, your concept, and the way you handle the paint are all really good - super colouring.

The only things I'd question are proportion and perspective - the trolley seems extremely large compared with the building near it and your perspective lines are off!
You're using a single view point here so your building/window lines should all converge on that viewpoint.
Having said that, it doesn't take away from the whole ambience and impression of the painting and i can see why it sold!
Well done!

If you nee help with perspective, go to our Information Kiosk (link in my signature), look up Classroom Index and see the class on perspective - it might help :)

DMSS
02-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Excellent!

tmcclary
02-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Lovely work. I can feel myself transported to the street in the rain waiting for the trolley.

steveoreno
02-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Nice work!

ColinS
02-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Very nice atmosphere you have created. I think this is good, and the light reflections on the pavement are excellent. Is the scene from a photo of old Toronto or does Saskatoon still also have those streetcars? I used to ride the ones in Toronto all the time as a kid, so this really brings me right back to childhood in the '60s.

LavenderFrost
02-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Nice work and congrats on the sale. I'm not sure why you would want to go looser, this is a nice style.

AprilJoy
02-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Nicely done! Very enjoyable piece :thumbsup:

purplepansey
02-11-2014, 07:24 PM
You certainly have a lot of skill and this painting shows it. I like your scene, the use of light and darks, the sense of distance well, just everything about it. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, you have great style.

LotusBlossom
02-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks again to everyone for their comments and support. Glad you like the painting. I will have to work on getting to know some names in here so I can better reply.

@Drawing Apprentice and Charlie's Mum ~ You have brought up good points. I know the size of the streetcar is off and a part of that came from having to move it over (initially it was placed dead center which was a no-no and so when I moved it, it got a little too close to the buildings.) Paint and learn. Ha In terms of the road curving inward on the left in the distance, I think i added additional shadows of buildings to address the dead center vanishing point, although it still looks pretty centered. And I seem to have trouble with getting the perspective right on my windows in particular but I think I am getting better with subsequent paintings. i will have a look at the Info Kiosk. Thanks!

@ColinS ~ This was actually painted just from my head. No photo for reference. I wish we still had streetcars here in Saskatoon but the only one here is in the museum. It is part of the original fleet from 1914 (they found it somewhere in the US and had it brought back) and looks pretty decrepit but makes for some awesome spooky photos!

Charlie's Mum
02-12-2014, 07:09 AM
L/B - one way of getting relative proportions looking right (from different sources) is to use a programme like Photoshop (there are plenty of similar progs too) and insert a streetcar into an urban setting and then reduce the vehicle until it looks OK - more accurate than relying on memory!:D

LotusBlossom
02-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks Charlie's Mum. That's a good idea too! I was just looking at another one I did very similar and, Yup, the size is off on that one too. Ha! I will have to plan better me thinks.

Charlie's Mum
02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Planning the painting out by doing a rough drawing, or series of thumbnail sketches, before committing to paint is never time wasted.:)
You really can work out a lot of the problems by using pencil and paper ;)

jocko500
02-13-2014, 02:51 AM
this is super

LotusBlossom
02-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks so much Jocko500. Appreciate that.

Indeed, @Charlie's Mum, I think you are absolutely right. Have a great day!

Scotkatidid
04-01-2014, 05:39 PM
This painting looks amazing.. I cannot believe you are posting just now.. So unfair not to show off your works.. Just kidding..:)

congrats on the sale.. and keep posting.. looking forward to see your paintings
Cristine, I luv luv luv your painting and certainly have to agree with the above, you should try the WDE (Weekend Drawing Event at All Arts and Media - funny name cause it goes until the next host posts approx. 1 week later, and you can still post much later). I started there 5 years ago and have never looked back , my paintings have improved 100% and the other people that post there are also very helpful.

LotusBlossom
04-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks so much Kate. Appreciate that! I actually just stumbled across the AMAE forum just over a week ago. I did try my hand at one of the pics (koi) but never posted mostly because I changed the composition to a point where it looks nothing like the pic. Ha. Guess I just wanted to paint koi. It still sitting where I left off after the 2 hour mark but hope to get at it soon. Getting ready for a group show and sale in just under two weeks so it's a little crazy right now. Thanks for filling me in on how it works and I will keep checking in. I will post the koi at some point too!

Idlewilde
04-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Don't change it, it's great, wish I could paint with inspiration like this!
Cheers, Ian Wildey.

LotusBlossom
04-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Thank you Ian! I appreciate it. Had a look at some of your work. It's wonderful!

chammi kaiser
04-02-2014, 04:56 AM
I hadn't seen this before and I am so glad I have now had the opportunity to take a look. It is a superb painting. I am delighted that you have posted this and can't wait to see more of your work.

LotusBlossom
04-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks so much Chammi! Appreciate it!