PDA

View Full Version : Joaquin Sorolla Walk on the beach WIP

klopperjohnny
02-10-2014, 10:18 AM
My sizing: 48 x 48
Support: X-Braced 1/8 plywood, wrapped with cotton duck canvas.
Ground: Gamblin oil ground.
Medium: W&N Painting Medium (Stand Oil based)

Not done yet but getting close ... maybe one or two more sessions and I will be done. Lots still to do, minor drawing issues remain but most worried about capturing beach-light. I think I am getting there, I like the light I got on the far left figures dress. The water I have mixed feelings about, especially the green ... even that in the original I don't like.

My main challenge is capturing the marvelous way he panted light.

I thought to include some work in progress pictures. Some were taken with my cell phone, so the quality is not fantastic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2014/15688-A.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2014/15688-B.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2014/15688-01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2014/15688-02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2014/15688-03.jpg

BrushBeater
02-11-2014, 12:25 AM
It looks great.

Nathalie Chavieve
02-23-2014, 04:59 AM
I looks like is going to be very beautiful copy !

Is this the original size of the painting ? Did you made a preparatory drawings or studies ? Or did you started to paint straight on the wood ?

Can you, please, to post the picture of the original painting ?

klopperjohnny
02-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Thank you for the encouragement. Its very close to the original size, the original I recall is maybe 1-2 inches larger and not a perfect square like mine.

I did not paint directly on the wood, I normally put allot of thought into canvas preparation. I used 1/8" cross-braced plywood, wrapped with cotton duck canvas, the wood is sealed with liquitex gac 100, the cotton is sealed with Gamblin PVZ size, the ground is Gamblin oil ground (Alkyd based).

Also in my version I recomposed it a bit, I did not crop the umbrella or hat of the lady to the right. I also paint more vibrantly that he did, I simply can't help myself after all the Pino Daeni copies I had done :lol:

I don't really do under drawing in pencil or charcoal, I just do an under painting with OMS + burnt umber/transparent oxide red a bit later ultramarine blue(with burnt umber for "black")/lead white (light). I found it probably better on the initial painting layers to just have paint, not charcoal + fixative. Besides I draw just fine with a bristle brush + rag compared to pencil + eraser.

The first image was about 4 hours into it ... I just start with blocking in shapes, trying to get major objects into the right locations, then I keep refining/measuring till I get where I want to be.

I found with this piece that the drawing itself was not so complex, the complexity comes with the marvelous way he paints the beach light. His choice of colors in the shadows seems to be the "magic" trick ... notice the shadow area cast by the raised arm of the left figure. Or the reflect light from the water/beach on the same left figure on her left (our right). I humbly tried to capture what he had done. The effect is some nice vibrancy and gives the illusion of the figure being under the sun out on the beach.

I'm still not done :( ... painted a bit last Saturday. But was not all into it so decided to stop after 5 hours. It's very very close to done, some minor drawing issues with the girl on the left, her hand with which shes pulling back the netting from her face .. even in the original he only painted it suggestively, so I am having difficulty with the contorted position of thumb and small finger. But I will get it, just have to spend the time. Other than that, oddly the lighting on the right figures top part of the dress was also giving me a hard time, but I think its close now after adding some "green" thalo blue + yellow ocher as I recall.

Original:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2014/15688-sor_orig.jpg

My current Version:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2014/15688-sor_large.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2014/15688-sor_close_01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2014/15688-sor_close_02.jpg

Nathalie Chavieve
02-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Thank you, klopperjohnny , for the pictures and explanation.

I understand that you have some problem with your copy - I made some copies myself and I know what it can be - to paint after the master it is not easy.

I did not mean that you paint straight on wood, because I saw the preparation of the ply wood in your first post. Actually, I am also preparing plywood in almost same manner, only I use a Rabbit size glue and instead of canvas, I am gluing on wood a very light and thin fine fabric like muslin or old white sheet which has a fine tooth.
May I ask, why do you glue on the plywood cotton duck canvas ? If I understood right, cotton duck canvas is a heavy, plain woven canvas and you need a lot of gesso to make a smooth surface for the painting ? Or you need this heavy tooth canvas texture to achieve some optical effects in your works ? If it is so, why you do not use just canvas, without mounting it on plywood ?

klopperjohnny
02-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Actually, I am also preparing plywood in almost same manner, only I use a Rabbit size glue and instead of canvas, I am gluing on wood a very light and thin fine fabric like muslin or old white sheet which has a fine tooth.

That's quite interesting, for some work I also favor a more smooth surface. I however favor the more modern sizes like GAC100 / PVA size. But each to his own.

I did not mean that you paint straight on wood.

Not to worry I figure you did not, but wanted to be clear.

May I ask, why do you glue on the plywood cotton duck canvas ? If I understood right, cotton duck canvas is a heavy, plain woven canvas and you need a lot of gesso to make a smooth surface for the painting ?

For this painting I wanted tooth. You can see in the closeups that I used the tooth of the canvas for allot of the strokes, it's great for picking up just little bits of paint. I use it for optical mixing color too, or scumbling after the fact.

Or you need this heavy tooth canvas texture to achieve some optical effects in your works ?

Correct, for this particular style I wanted ground with tooth.

If it is so, why you do not use just canvas, without mounting it on plywood ?

I am not a professional artist, so time and effort, weight, or shipping to customer is of no concern to me. I really like a firm support over stretch canvas. I am very rough with canvas/ground when I paint this style. I have at it with pallet knives and even use the handle of my brush allot to scrape/scumble the paint. If it was stretched canvas there is a good chance I could stab right through it! I've done this once ... not my best moment :(.

I've panted on stretched canvas before, but have come to love a firm surface. Purely my own preference.

Mounting canvas to plywood gives me the best of both worlds, though at to cost of extra effort & being heavier.

On a side note, I have no objections to perfectly smooth grounds either. As I really have no preferred style yet, for me the surface is all about the type of painting I want to do. As a matter of fact I am planning another William Bouguereau (The abduction of Psyche) for which the ground is 1/8 plywood cross braced and sealed. No canvas, just 2-3 layers of sanded gesso with a thin coat of lead white ground on top to help with the absorbency of the gesso.

I learn as I go :)

klopperjohnny
02-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Nathalie, I checked out your website at www.nathaliechavieve.com.

Some very lovely work you have. I very much like Miserere. But your surreal works I love even more. I like how in The Dream you used those squares to help create the illusion of depth/perspective. I've been wanting to try a Surreal piece with this exact idea in mind :)

I've done two Dali copies myself, I find Surrealism very appealing. Currently I am on a realism binge that started with Pino Daeni, that lead me to Joaquin Sorolla. Then there is Bouguereau who I am totally in awe of :)

Nathalie Chavieve
02-28-2014, 11:01 AM
I am not a professional artist, so time and effort, weight, or shipping to customer is of no concern to me. I really like a firm support over stretch canvas. I am very rough with canvas/ground when I paint this style. I have at it with pallet knives and even use the handle of my brush allot to scrape/scumble the paint. If it was stretched canvas there is a good chance I could stab right through it! I've done this once ... not my best moment :(.

I've panted on stretched canvas before, but have come to love a firm surface. Purely my own preference.

Mounting canvas to plywood gives me the best of both worlds, though at to cost of extra effort & being heavier.

On a side note, I have no objections to perfectly smooth grounds either. As I really have no preferred style yet, for me the surface is all about the type of painting I want to do. As a matter of fact I am planning another William Bouguereau (The abduction of Psyche) for which the ground is 1/8 plywood cross braced and sealed. No canvas, just 2-3 layers of sanded gesso with a thin coat of lead white ground on top to help with the absorbency of the gesso.

I learn as I go :)

I see what you mean !

It is same to me - when I paint , it is a last thing that I think about - sales and shipping !:)

I also like a firm support, but for different reasons - I like very smooth, eggshell like, surface, which I can not achieve with stretched canvas . For that reason I use quite a lot of plywood, sometimes prepared only with home made gesso, sometimes I do attach a cloth on it ( as I mentioned before ). Last time I went to our local store and I didn't find a suitable plywood, so I took a chipboard - it is not so bad eather. Well, I do paint on canvas too . Most of my surrealist painting are done on canvas. But I always prepare the canvas with smoother surface as I can.

If I remember right most of Bouguereau paintings was done on canvas ?

Nathalie Chavieve
02-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Nathalie, I checked out your website at www.nathaliechavieve.com (http://www.nathaliechavieve.com).

Some very lovely work you have. I very much like Miserere. But your surreal works I love even more. I like how in The Dream you used those squares to help create the illusion of depth/perspective. I've been wanting to try a Surreal piece with this exact idea in mind :)

I've done two Dali copies myself, I find Surrealism very appealing. Currently I am on a realism binge that started with Pino Daeni, that lead me to Joaquin Sorolla. Then there is Bouguereau who I am totally in awe of :)

Thank you, klopperjohnny !

You know, Miserere is my favorite painting too and I think this painting has a very special spirit. Well, I have painted it quite long time ago and , I think, there is some moments I would like to change, but I will not. May be some day I'll paint another version of this painting.

I saw your web pages and the copies after Dali - very impressive. Dali one of my favorite surrealist painter and I was influenced by his works a lot.
I am sure you'll find your own style. It is normal that you want to try to paint different styles until you will understand where your heart really lies.

Seeing your copies and your own works , I think you have a great potential as a painter. Just continue to work hard and learn and you will get there.

klopperjohnny
02-28-2014, 11:19 AM
I see what you mean !
If I remember right most of Bouguereau paintings was done on canvas ?

Mm, I actually don't know, I have a reference book on some of his works I could check. I believed he used a very lightly textured surface, he sparingly used texture effects. The only copy of his I had started was nymphs and satyr, for that I used layering, I am about 75% done with that ... but stopping for a couple months so it can dry so I can change medium (its a long story). But I had good success with the smooth surface approach trying to copy that piece. link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341022) So I'm going to go with smooth again. My goal I guess is learning more about layering and his amazing skin tones.

Nathalie Chavieve
02-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Well, it is not really matter on what you paint : if it suits your needs and goals - everything is works. I have participated is your thread about Bouguereau copy - very nice work. Please, post updates sometimes.

klopperjohnny
03-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Done. I posted the images here for C&C (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20017415#post20017415)