PDA

View Full Version : Night at beach

doctoring in arts
02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
I just completed this painting after a week or so terrified how it would look.. I had some serious trouble with the reflection part..

I am thinking about repainting over it.. C&C please

acrylics 14*11 on paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2014/1704848-critiq.jpg

AprilJoy
02-06-2014, 03:45 PM
It's not bad at all, the reflections seem ok to me.
What's irking you about it?

Charlie's Mum
02-06-2014, 03:59 PM
The reflections are OK - if you're after realism, the light/lamp haloes wouldn't have such a definite limit.
Keep it -refer to it at later points when more paintings have been done.:)

lt_scout
02-06-2014, 04:03 PM
It's pretty good, nocturnes are tricky, don't be hard on yourself. Google some paintings of similar subject matter and squint at them, get a feel for the temperature and color changes as the lit areas move away from the light sources.

I try to establish the drawing, then fill in the shadow pattern, then fill in the light areas. Those lamps would cast a warm light on the surfaces around them probably towards the yellow-orange range.

ColinS
02-06-2014, 05:10 PM
You might find it interesting to participate in this month's challenge, hosted by Ferlian, which is themed to 'Nighttime Magic'.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341916

You could take what you have learned from this painting, and the advice from Charlie's Mum and lt scout and have some fun with another night scene. Plus, you can then compare your night scenes to what other artists come up with and reveal on Feb 21st, and learn from that process too.

I think that you should be happy with this as your first night painting - the reflections are convincing as reflections, and that is an indication that you already have a good grasp of the skills to accomplish what you want to achieve.

I liked your blog by the way - some very good paintings there.

susme48
02-06-2014, 09:48 PM
I actually like it...so...guess I'm not much help....:)

barsha
02-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Too good. The reflections have come out so well. What a beauty Subi.... :)

roy-p
02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Ah... never be terrified of art (of all things), is what I say :) And you have NO reason whatsoever to be terrified of this beautiful night-scape.

I'm so reminded of a cold-ish, windy night I'd spent looking at a waterfront like this... your painting kind of brought it back for me.

doctoring in arts
02-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you Maureen, AprilJoy, Bryan, Colin, Susan, Barsha for your comments..

I guess looking at the reference photo to compare with my painting has made me a little bit irritating... I have been visiting the place almost daily to study the shadows and the light (well not only for this but to get some exercise by walking)...

I will try to do another night painting and post it in the challenge Colin..
atleast saying it publicly I will have to do another night painting rather than not doing it at all after this one... It will be a challenge:crossfingers:

pastel65
02-08-2014, 11:35 AM
The reflections seem to fit the style of the painting. A touch of abstract. Pam:wave:

purplepansey
02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
The lights and reflections in the water really glow. Wonderful night scene along the warf

WebCat
02-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Me too susme48. I really like this.

Margaret 59
02-08-2014, 08:47 PM
I like it too. You're being too hard on yourself.

acerimusdux
02-09-2014, 06:52 AM
I like this as well. I like the simplicity of it. I think the non-artist is going to see a very pleasant scene here, while the more trained artist is going to see lots of solid fundamentals which are part of what make it pleasant to look at.

The drawing is simple enough, a row of lamposts, but a nice demonstration of perspective. Also a nice composition, and a good example of "rule of thirds", with the 1st and 4th posts on the vertical thirds, and the top of the buildings along a horizontal third. The color scheme is also basic, mostly two colors, but again a good example of the power of complimentary colors (blue and yellow). Also a good example of tonal contrast, bright lights and dark darks. This is going to be there naturaly in a night scene with lights of course, but part of what makes it interesting, and I especially like where you have some of the darkest darks up alongside the brightest lights (along the curb where the shadows meet the reflections for example). I also like the use of lighter values, less contrast, and also less saturation, to show distance (the yellow lights becoming progressively whiter as we fade into the distance).

Maybe some of this is coming from the reference, but no one is going to see the reference. You are maybe getting caught too much in the details at this point. Step back, it's a good looking painting. Call it done and move on to the next one.

bhavani.krishnan
02-09-2014, 04:42 PM
I like this too.. the colors and reflections are nice.

beegirl
02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
love it! great work.

ItsaWonder
02-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Wow, I opened this thread, liked your painting a lot, then read what you wrote and hurried through the thread, hoping I wasn't going to see that you destroyed the painting! Please keep it!!!

I know there are people here who know more than I know, who will help you get closer to where you want to be if you follow their advice. I don't know how to help you that way, but I want to cheer you on! Sometimes, I think we really have to step away from our reference material for awhile to see the value in our paintings.

Your painting has a lot of charm, and special glow, and value in my eyes...

Meredith

doctoring in arts
02-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Thank you Pam, Purple, Webcat, Margaret, acerimusdux, Bhavani, Tai, Meredith .. Thank you all for your kind comments..:D

Thank you acerimusdux.:) . I never knew a rule of thirds.. I have learnt a lot from your comment... I will keep in mind when I do my next painting..:clear:

Thank you Meredith:wave: .. I am keeping the painting... I have in fact moved on to another painting similar to this one...

I feel so happy and a little surprised to hear such encouragements guys..
I will keep going:thumbsup: