PDA

View Full Version : Ralph

charliemae
02-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Ralph is a huge cat who belongs to a good friend .. he is quite old and she asked if I would do some kind of artwork for her to have ... Ralph is a handsome devil and it was a joy to play around with his photo. The work was all done in Corel Painter .. a lot of digital painters call their work paintings .. unless I start from scratch I always refer to any work done on a photo as a photo manipulation. Yes, I use brushes, smudge tools and other aspects of the program .. but the work still started with that photo rather than with a blank canvas. In any case .. this work was all done on and from that original photograph of Ralph and was a joy to do.
The watermark is to discourage people from places like Pinterest from taking what doesn't belong to them. :wave: Thanks for peeking in.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2014/334061-Ralph.jpg

Leslie F.
02-05-2014, 04:02 PM
This is a beautiful portrait, and I appreciate your honesty about 'working on and from' the photo. However, I note, for instance, that unlike the original photo, in your portrait, Ralph has raised and turned his head slightly and is looking toward us, rather than down. That's YOU and your own artistry completely!

charliemae
02-05-2014, 04:36 PM
In all honesty Leslie, I did no movement to the photo .. no raising of his head or turning it in any way. I think that by using the brushes and blending the fur to create the soft look that I was attempting to achieve it gives the appearance that there is a change in his pose. Also, when working on the ears to soften them and blend them, it gives the appearance that his head is elevated...I normally don't do photos in this manner and was surprised how simply manipulating the pixels within the photo changed things. This really was a lot of fun to do. Thanks so much for leaving kind words.

darry85
02-05-2014, 05:13 PM
I like this a lot.

Leslie F.
02-05-2014, 05:45 PM
That's very interesting, Charlie! You coulda fooled me!

charliemae
02-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks a bunch Ralph! .. and Leslie, that's just how I felt .. it was amazing to watch what happened as I "pushed those pixels" ... I purchased a DVD on "painting" animals .. it's not really painting/it's not cloning .. it truly is on using specific tools in Painter to create the feel of a "painting" .. even though it's not .. the class I purchased is from Heather The Painter and the brushes that she uses to create her digital art are included in the disk ... I was really impressed with them.

pixs
02-05-2014, 06:12 PM
very cool cat!.......painted nice....the eyes are perfect.....but i must said the background makes the cat stand out ....you did a nice job in details......can wait to see what nexts.....

LavenderFrost
02-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice portrait! And yes, we do appreciate honesty and information about techniques.

Lucy-Foote
02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Excellent!!!!!

Lucyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2014/70668-a_Foote_icon_sm.JPG

charliemae
02-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Thank you Lucy, LavenderFrost & Pixs ... wiped that background out at the end Pixs and then blended ... again, thank you all.

b'anna
02-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Whatever you did and however you did it, it looks great!
Barb

bryn
02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Lovely soft image. Nice to know how it was done.
bryn

Elainepsq
02-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Nice work, and I do appreciate you explaining your techniques. I really like the background, just enough splatter in the background but not too much to overpower the main subject.

arl
02-10-2014, 06:29 AM
This looks terrific. I particularly like the texture. I've heard there has been a lot of copying from Pininterest. I have stopped posting there.

justjean
02-12-2014, 07:52 PM
You have done a great job, the cat is beautiful :thumbsup: and right you are .. painting on a photo is digital art or manipulation, painting on a blank canvas is digital painting :)

charliemae
02-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks so much b'anna, bryn, Elainepsq__needed to get rid of that background that was in the photo & am delighted that you like it, also thanks arl .. but it's not so much the actual posting by an individual on pinterest .. it's the fact that some people who belong to pinterest scour the internet and take images without asking permission. .. also thanks justjean .. and yes, I never call a digital manipulation a painting .. I reserve that word "painting" for when I start with a totally blank canvas .. whether it's digital or traditional .. again, thank you all for kind words. Hugs