PDA

View Full Version : Carducci Portrait Class Pastels

ArtistMelinda
02-03-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm getting a great op to take a Judith Carducci workshop :clap:
I heard she uses Great American pastels. I am used to Rembrandt and understand the GA are much much softer. I don't really like the Sennellier - yes they are like butter but just turn to dust for me and rain on my paper. Has anyone taken her class or used the GA pastels for portrait work? Do you think the Mount Vision would suffice - they are local for me and seem to have more body. But I heard they may be too hard for her technique.

Help?

PS any other tips on her workshop would be appreciated

allydoodle
02-03-2014, 10:04 PM
What a great opportunity, it sounds like a wonderful workshop. Judith Carducci is a wonderful artist, her work is beautiful.

I would ask her directly, explaining to her what you explained here. See what she says. I am sure if it is at all possible to do her technique with Mount Vision pastels she will tell you. I'd rather ask the person running the show before investing in pastels, they are expensive.... I love both Great American and Mount Vision pastels, I have both. You are right, Great American makes a very soft pastel, but somewhat different from Sennelier pastels..... can't explain it, just different.

Ask Judith, you'll get the best possible advice I think.

robertsloan2
02-05-2014, 11:47 AM
One of the things I love about artist grade pastels is how each brand has its own unique texture. The softness ratings let me categorize them, but ultimately each stick has its own particular mark-making and texture. There's so much freedom in being able to choose in a given painting.

Agree the best thing to do is contact her to find out if her techniques work well with Mount Visions. I love the MV brand and haven't got very many Great Americans so haven't compared them directly.

Studio-1-F
02-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Lucky you! :thumbsup: Her portraits are beautiful.

I think the obvious way forward is to contact her directly and ask. The last thing you want to do is show up with boxes full of the "wrong" pastels. That said, I'd be surprised if there were such a thing! I imagine you could make whatever you're used to (the Rembrandts) work for you. Why make the workshop even more challenging by adding in yet another unfamiliar variable?

I'd say the texture of GAs is closer to Ludwigs than it is to Senneliers. GAs and Ludwigs are creamier. Where (in my experience) Senneliers are soft, but very dry. Mount Visions are also fairly dry, but more grainy or raspy than soft. Small differences, but they are there. (I agree with Robert. Aren't we lucky to have so many choices? :D )

Anyway, enjoy the workshop. It looks to be great.

Jan

kathygoldleaf
02-05-2014, 03:27 PM
I saw a demo by Judith a few months ago, she has her own collection of pastels with Great American. From what I saw at the demo, any good artist quality soft pastels should work with her techniques although it is probably a good idea to ask. She is an amazing artist, have fun at the workshop!