PDA

View Full Version : Rub a dub dub...

PeriSoft
02-03-2014, 09:19 AM
...three men welcome criticism.

Last night my son was taking a bath. I asked him what he thought I should draw, and he said, "A tub!" - so this was the obvious result.

It's not completely polished, but I'm trying to kinda bang-bang-bang do a lot of different stuff right now to gain experience, so I'm letting that slide. Pretty happy with how the guys turned out. Suggestions welcome!

(Click for big; it'll probably look a lot better.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2014/1697450-tub.jpg (http://www.perisoft.org/tub.jpg)

Yorky
02-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Fun sketch. Water sloshing out of the bath would be funny.

Doug

LavenderFrost
02-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Looks good. What did you use to do this?

PeriSoft
02-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Looks good. What did you use to do this?

Lenovo Tablet 2 (Win8, 2gb, antediluvian Atom processor), a Wacom Bamboo Feel with a modified response curve - which, by the way, is VASTLY better than the stylus that ships with the tablet *or* Samsung's S-Pens, even accounting for difference in size and weight - and Corel Painter X3.

In this case I did rough sketches and a perspective reference on a couple of layers, then a detail sketch, and then did the final with a liquid ink pen. The original is something like 3600x2800 pixels, which I find is just big enough to potentially look good in print and just small enough to not cause the tablet to burst into flames.

I used a photo reference for the tub itself, but just for the basic shape. The rest of it I didn't use any references for - I still feel a bit like references are cheating; I can't help it - except for rearranging my legs and pointing at the wall a couple of times, which probably looked a bit odd to my wife. :)

Elainepsq
02-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I agree, it is a fun drawing, and a few water splashes and drips would be fun. I really like the expression on the guy in the front of the tub.

Lucy-Foote
02-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Cute cartoon :)

Lucy

LavenderFrost
02-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Why would you think references are cheating? Tracing, maybe, but I do it a lot. But looking at a reference is quite necessary, our brains usually won't store all the information needed to draw something.

PeriSoft
02-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Why would you think references are cheatinge? Tracing, maybe, but I do it a lot. But looking at a reference is quite necessary, our brains usually won't store all the information needed to draw something.

I'm not sure why I got that idea - I also used to feel like I ought to be able to do schoolwork without studying. Usually I could, so I assumed that deviations from that pattern were a result of my not adequately understanding the material in those cases; I was rather surprised, years later, to find that it was *expected* to be difficult.

With art I think some of it is that I felt like references are cheating because it's so easy to do if you have them. I'd always figured that what made great artists great specifically *was* their ability to hold stuff in their heads, like you say. Then I saw an illustration of an old master looking at his subject through a grid of string and sketching on a similarly I gridded canvas! It was like finding out that Lance Armstrong had been juicing... ;)

I've never used references until recently (when I started drawing again last spring); I'd drawn a few sketches from life before (maybe 15?) but everything else was from memory. And like I said, if you have a reference it just kinda seems too easy. Obviously I can't crank out world class drawings of anything I have a reference for,bbut I also *don't have any idea what the hell i'm doing*. I'm an untrained slob! So I have to think that if i can manage as well as i have in a few off-the-cuff instances of half-bakery, anybody with the slightest training and experience ought to be able to do drawings from references with their eyes closed.

Well, maybe not with their eyes closed. Then it'd be dumb to have a reference. But you know what I mean. :)

Anyway, generally I find myself in the odd situation wherein my inbuilt arrogance results in my thinking things should be easier than they are, resulting in subsequent false modesty when I fail to live up to my own unrealistic expectations. ;)

So yeah. That's why. Aren't you glad you asked? :D

darry85
02-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Love this! Fun and it's an awesome sketch!

arl
02-05-2014, 09:03 AM
A fun work.

LavenderFrost
02-05-2014, 12:20 PM
There was another artist who believed paintings should be done from memory, but I forget who it was. But I guess in the end you have to do what's right for you. Me, I have the memory of a goldfish, so I have to look at my reference every three seconds. :lol:

PeriSoft
02-05-2014, 12:55 PM
There was another artist who believed paintings should be done from memory, but I forget who it was.

I see what you did there! ;)

I guess what I'm talking about isn't *memory* as such - at least, not the way I've done things so far. Imagination, maybe, or a combination of memory and imagination - and intuition. Like, for example, a little bit ago I drew this... well, I drew this:

http://www.perisoft.org/ness.jpg

Don't ask why it is what it is; there's no answer. But when I drew it, when I drew the branch, I wasn't looking at a real branch, and I wasn't thinking about a *specific* branch. I wasn't even thinking about a branch at all; I was pretty much just thinking, "I'm drawing a branch now" and then I watched my hand draw a branch. So 'memory' isn't quite right - I'm not sure what it is. The mental process is very different from when I've done stuff *to be accurate*, so much that it almost might as well be two different people.

It was definitely a bit surprising 'going in' - that is, from when I decided to really try to push myself and draw more ambitiously rather than staying in my comfort zone - that detailed subjects could suddenly just happen like that. I expected that you had to really have a plan for all this stuff, make sure everything matched, and so on, in order to go from 'rough sketch' to a really dense, textured piece, but it turned out that in a lot of cases it's mostly a matter of turning yourself loose. Set the parameters in your head, pick a battle you can win (eg, don't try to use watercolors to draw a chain link fence?) and whoom, off you go. I always knew that worked when I was drawing things I already knew how to draw, but it was surprising that it kept working even when I tried it with things I'd never ever done before, like, say, feet - I'd never drawn the bottom of a foot before I did the sketch up there.

If I hadn't ignored the part of me that said I didn't know how to do this stuff and tried anyway, I would have just figured that I couldn't do it. Which makes me wonder how many of the people out there who swear up and down that "I can't draw" really could, but just aren't letting themselves.

It's interesting stuff. Fun as hell to be on the fast part of a learning curve again, where every step makes the last look archaic, instead of where I am with music composition, where eking out another percent gain is the work of months! ;)

b'anna
02-05-2014, 03:21 PM
However you do it. It looks good. I Understand what you say about Memory or what I call creativity. I used to feel that way. That only a REAL artist could paint that way. What I have learned along the way is that it is the final out come that matters. It doesn't matter how you got there or how you did it. It's your thoughts and ideas. If you use tons of photo references and put it together or if it comes from your mind. One of the things you have to learn about using a reference is to use it not copy it. Use bits and pieces. I had a photo of an old grey marsh that I liked the layout and I just went wild with color. It didn't look like the original at all but it was how I used the reference that made the difference.

Really looking forward to seeing your progression.

Barb