PDA

View Full Version : A painting and drawing ellipses

bhavani.krishnan
02-02-2014, 11:59 PM
I was trying to study how to draw ellipses in perspective and got quite confused. So, I sent a message to Mum (Maureen) and her explanation was really good and it totally clicked a bulb in my head. I was so excited about understanding it that I had to share it (with her permission ofc) with all of you wonderful folks. Please check out my blog for the details. (Link in my signature below)

Thanks again Mum for your explanation :heart:

Since this is the acrylics forum, I don't want to be wrong in sharing a drawing tip, so am going to include a painting I did in my 30 in 30 challenge which I did not share earlier. It gave me a lot of grief getting the values right. C&C welcome! This is on 6x6 canvas. This canvas is pretty rough and shows the texture in photographs and can be quite distracting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2014/980567-day25-beachbum.JPG.

os2013
02-03-2014, 04:00 AM
bhavani.krishnan, thank you for the tip on ellipses! I'm at trying to understand sections of a sphere in perspective and this helps as one piece of a "puzzle". Another issue I am trying to grasp is to how draw the ellipse when it is tilted or rotated (not parallel to EL vertically), e.g. if you place the teacup on its side and rotate a bit so that you see the rim opening as an oval and it is at the same time not straight at your EL (e.g. below or above). Any suggestions on how to approach this one?

SilverLady
02-03-2014, 05:00 AM
This is very good. Love the colorful clothing and the sand is great. Looks like one of my two great grandsons.

Charlie's Mum
02-03-2014, 08:34 AM
It's a charming painting B. Love the colours and don't mind the texture on these small canvases.

For os2013 (and you if you need it!) -

A circle has two axes, vertical and horizontal and they MUST remain ar right angles to each other ... so, if you tilt them to get the angle of the elliptical object, make sure they still remain at 90* to each other.
Visually measure the height of the object and mark your vertical axis at desired angle, then visually measure the width (use eye and pencil at arm's length if necessary) and place that at right angles to the vertical.
Carefully draw your ellipse from point to point of the axes - you'll need to practise this! :)

susme48
02-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Love the painting...but I am so lost geometrically...:lol: what is the EL? I am so not good at spacial things. Of all the math courses I took, that part was what killed me...as I cannot see that type of thing in my head, and most of it reads greek to me...sigh. I get 'there' eventually, but it takes me a long time...

Charlie's Mum
02-03-2014, 05:29 PM
B - so sorry your thread is getting high-jacked here - so I'll just tell people to look at the Classroom for Perspective (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529845&highlight=perspective) eh? :D

bhavani.krishnan
02-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the comments on the painting :)
Hi Mum... no problem.. I am happy to continue the discussion of ellipses in this thread.. no worries.
Susan - EL is eye level and VP is vanishing point :)