PDA

View Full Version : After Turner - The Fighting Temeraire

leojacko
02-01-2014, 09:26 AM
807660I haven't posted on WC for ages, but have been looking at the Masters Threads today and thought I would show this painting I started 20 years ago and finished just last year after being urged on by a painting friend!

It is painted with Artisan Oils on canvas and in a second hand frame.

BrushBeater
02-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Nicely done, I especially like the ship.

Yorky
02-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Beautifully done Nina.

Doug

leojacko
02-02-2014, 03:58 AM
Thank you Brushbeater and Doug. I learnt a lot painting this - I was amazed by the range of colours and textures Turner used.

Srishti
02-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Wow!this is stunning!

BrushBeater
02-03-2014, 12:05 PM
There is a youtube video of a famous art forger copying this painting and giving commentary as he works, you might find it enjoyable considering you have gone through the process yourself. "Tom Keating On Painters - E01 - Turner"

leojacko
02-04-2014, 02:50 AM
Thanks Shristi.

Hi Brushbeater - I'll check that Keating clip out - sounds interesting.

Ive been watching a UK TV series called "Fake or Fortune" The last one mentions Tony Tetro and even interviewed him re a supposed Chagall painting. [He didnt do that one] :) The topic is in our newspapers regard the painting right now.

One web site tells about John Myatt who was also a convicted art forger. :eek:

regards
Nina

AllisonR
02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Glad you finished it. Lovely.

I think the original has more mood - it looks almost like the water is dancing on fire; adding a few more intense warm glazes throughout might help. Also in the original there is a play of darks going on, where yours has more details but not the darks.

BrushBeater
02-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Yeah John Myatt also has a show that's on youtube called "forger's masterclass" where he coaches art students to paint in the style of a master's painting.

leojacko
02-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Thank you for your comments Allison, I'll have a look at those darks.

Hi again Brushbeater, I'll look at Myatt as well, there is so much available now to look at and research now eh?

I'd like to visit the "Turner and the Sea" Exhibition in Greenwich - there would be nothing better than studying the real thing!

Nina