PDA

View Full Version : by Gregory - Episode 1 Nubian Transport

TMoore
06-27-2001, 02:41 PM
By Gregory age 13 (TMoore's son)
This is a Nubian Transport from Star Wars Episode 1, made using Rhino. Next challenge will be the extrude function and background.

dhenton
06-27-2001, 10:28 PM
A fellow 3D modeler. I once worked with the beta of Rhino, that looks like a pretty serious piece of software. You'll have to teach us all how to use that blasted 4 viewport system Rhino uses!

digistyle
06-27-2001, 10:42 PM
This is cool stuff! I tried a couple of evaluation versions of 3d software and was complete baffled by it. Looking forward to the next stage.

BTW, it's a Naboo transport. And yes, I know... I know; my mind is filled with useless trivia like this:o

digistyle

TMoore
06-27-2001, 11:12 PM
Gregory has one of those minds that instantly memorizes movie dialogue. When he read the Naboo correction post you should have heard him running through the dialogue - complete with voice inflection: Qui Gon says, "I need parts for a J Type 327 Nubian. Watto says, in response to Qui Gon, "Ahhh yes, Nubian. We have lots uhh dat." Wish you all had sound capacity to hear him. Gregory says that the Queen's planet is Naboo, but the ships they use are produced by the Nubians.

Don't look at me I barely remember the character names.

Gregory wants to be a product designer when he grows up - specifically he wants to be involved in the design of space-oriented toys and 12" characters.

reality mason
06-28-2001, 06:04 AM
Hey, that's a nice model! Good show. I too was pretty blown away by Star Wars when i first saw it (not Episode 1 though), and Gregory will probably recognise the image i've attached as the Millenium Falcon(?), or my attempt at it anyway. This is done after about 3 months of using MAX, sometime last year, when I too was 13 (best age to start modelling). Anyway, nice effort, all it needs is a texture or two and some lighting. Good stuff Gregory!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2001/falcon_large.jpg

sherville
06-28-2001, 06:35 AM
Hi Tmoore,
Another great model by Gregory!
You asked in a previous post about what 3D package you should buy. I have used both Rhino and Studio Max 3D. Max wins by a long shot! They both have many features similar, but Max has deffinately been thought out better than Rhino.
It was about a year ago when I used Rhino so I do forget a lot of the functions it did and did not have. However with Max basic functions like extrude, bend, twist etc are so easy.
Max also has the 4 viewport thing (which can be changed to 1, or 2 viewports if you prefer). Also a thing it has that I like very much is customizable Keyboard Shortcuts to save time.
But what about the price? Yes, the proper package of Max is very expensive (a couple of thousand I think) However, there IS a student version - which I bought for only $200 Australian (About $100 American)
I am probably biased towards Max because It is the one I learnt on, but if your son is serious about a career in 3D, Max would be a good way to go, most of the big companies use it - and it is the only package Games Developers use.
Of course the final decision is up to you and your son, and he may want to use Rhino because hes comfortable with it.
Hope this helps... Hope you can get past my bias opinion of Studio Max, too. :) :D