PDA

View Full Version : Ballerina - please critique

arl
01-31-2014, 02:57 PM
This painting was done with Corel Painter 12. I redid the background; it is wet in wet blended with just add water. All advice and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2014/114108-study_ballet_1__jpg_adj.jpg

PeriSoft
02-01-2014, 12:00 AM
It has a nice sense of motion to it, and I actually rather like the hand being cut off like that - if it were me (though I'm strange) I might even crop her knee out a bit too to emphasize the dynamics. But that might be a bridge too far.

Two criticisms - first, there's what appears to be a background smear right near her stomach, which makes her look... more generously proportioned... :) than a ballerina usually is.

Second, I might just be seeing things incorrectly, but her left leg appears to have been in some kind of farm equipment accident - I'm not sure if the effect was intentional or not, but to my eye it feels a bit like the ballet announcer should be yelling, "Oh my God! Storichnikovaya is DOWN! Oh, it's terrible! This could be a career-ending injury! The team medic is on the field - we're going to cut away, ladies and gentlemen; this is so bad we can't even show it on the radio!"

Sorry, I'm in a mood tonight. But you get the idea, hopefully. :)

opainter
02-01-2014, 12:20 AM
The ballerina's outfit and the darker splotch of purple in the background are competing for my attention, and I notice my eyes bouncing back and forth between the two.

I really like the appearance of the ballerina as she is, so I would suggest maybe tempering the background a little.

arl
02-02-2014, 01:53 AM
Thank you for your help.

MvdLinden
02-02-2014, 10:36 AM
If drawing is about line and form then Ballet is line and form in motion. There are lovely synergies between the two.

One of the aspects of ballet that makes it so visually appealing is the hours and hours the dancers spend learning correct hand and foot position to establish that line.

If one wants to respect that effort and the intent of the choreographer then paying attention the those details is warranted. Notice I am not saying that it is artistically necessary. A perfectly possible response to the agony of the dancers pushing their bodies to achieve apparent grace would be to show a distorted figure.

I am not aware of your intent, and thus can not truly comment on whether you have reached your goal.

However, if the goal was a representation of the dancer in the graceful line that the choreographer intended to present then, as a visual artist present that line and motion. I respect that your technique is a blending of wet on wet, even within this technique it is possible to maintain/create the figure's edges in a clean manner that evokes the grace of the line.

Separately, perhaps add more depth via a greater variation in the intensity/value of your hues. There are many ways the human brain perceives depth, hue gradient is one of them. Using value separation (bias gain in digital terms) to create brighter highlights and deeper shadows will give your work a more finished feel even if it does not have much more detail than what you are presenting.

As an example:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2014/3869-odette.jpeg