PDA

View Full Version : Video by portrait artist, Daniel Green

Twoolz
01-31-2014, 01:06 AM
I wonder if any of you who are new to pastels checked out the video by Daniel Green. He is an excellent portrait painter in both pastel and oil. In this demonstration called "Pastel Portrait - Jim" he thinks out loud as he goes from start to finish on the portrait. Of all the books and videos I've seen, this was by far the most detailed and helpful. It is more than 2 hours long and takes place over 3 different sittings. I was amazed at the delicacy and subtlety of his application of color. The video is on Amazon and is worth watching (maybe in 3 different sittings!) if you're feeling the need for some input.

allydoodle
01-31-2014, 06:10 PM
I've watched videos by Daniel Greene, he is a master pastelist. There is much to be learned from him, any time spent watching him paint is time well spent..

wrenhunter
02-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Can you clarify if you mean the $70 DVD for sale by Amazon? It seems to have good reviews, but that is not cheap. I searched on Amazon Prime video, also, but don't see any pastel videos by Daniel Greene.

ArtistMelinda
02-03-2014, 09:03 PM
I got mine used on Amazon for $40 :)
I want to know how he got that much pastel to stick on plain old canson paper!!!!! Otherwise superb video. Just wish he would tell what colors he is using. At first he started to name them, then next thing I knew he said he had used 76 colors - I think I saw 5... ha ha

ullahennig
02-04-2014, 07:16 AM
There a quite a lot of his videos on youTube, even some longer ones.

Oopsn - sorry ignore that post, should have gone somewhere else...

allydoodle
02-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I got mine used on Amazon for $40 :)
I want to know how he got that much pastel to stick on plain old canson paper!!!!! Otherwise superb video. Just wish he would tell what colors he is using. At first he started to name them, then next thing I knew he said he had used 76 colors - I think I saw 5... ha ha

If you've ever seen his pastel collection you would understand why.... he has an enormous amount of pastels... using 76 sticks is probably not unusual for him. He is a master, his work is unbelievable. I've seen one up close and personal, and it is amazing.

You can get plenty of pastel to stick to Canson, it's all about how much you use in each application... heavy handed doesn't work, nor does very light handed... it's somewhere in the middle, with shots of pressure here and there. You just have to play with it a lot to figure it out.