PDA

View Full Version : What's over the ridge?

Blinkblink
01-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Ok, here's another desert scene. Had lots of fun with this and am happy with it. It's a watercolor 41" x 54"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2014/295411-AB1.jpg

Charlie's Mum
01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Blink-blink - while these paintings are pleasant works I really feel they're better suited to the Landscape forum than this one - this forum is for plants and they should be the focus of the work, not the landscape.

I shall move this to Landscapes tomorrow.

Blinkblink
01-30-2014, 06:36 PM
How about if you just delete them and I will decide if/when I want to post in landscapes. Absolutely don't mind Maureen. Fred

bluefish
01-30-2014, 10:45 PM
maybe theres 'poppies' or 'sunflowers' over the ridge!......:D

Blinkblink
01-31-2014, 01:25 AM
bluefish. Poppies in the spring, you bet. California's state flower actually. Anza Borrego desert, California. Good guess.

Charlie's Mum
01-31-2014, 08:14 AM
OK B/B. I won't move it - but I won't delete either!:)

Perhaps your next could concentrate on the flora? thanks .:D

Blinkblink
01-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Mums the word, as far as I'm concerned. Ha. Before it was my big mouth that got me in a bit of hot water, now the big brushes??? Ha. But you are right that this takes on more of a landscape scene and, in any case consider the suggestion well taken and appreciated. Also appreciate your time here helping out. You too Vivian.

bluefish
01-31-2014, 09:49 PM
there may be a 'real cute bunny' hiding out over that ridge.....wouldn't want to delete it, would we Maureen?.....:lol:

maryinasia
01-31-2014, 09:54 PM
love it

Blinkblink
01-31-2014, 10:22 PM
Bluefish!! Tisk tisk. Not on my thread please. Ha. Only one ______ on one thread. Ha. And I do believe I got here first. Ha. Pick on me, or better yet, get me a good crit on the painting. I am use to that. Had great crits in college long ago. Everyone would line their sessions work up front and the teacher and students could observe, comment and really learn. It's not negative when someone suggests something different, it's actually a real risk for them and their wanting to help you and at the same time realizing the comments might not be appreciated. Go ahead, and let me know how i can improve it. Would appreciate it.

Maryinasia....... many thankyous. Nice of you to say!

Charlie's Mum
02-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Fred, it depends how much you want the painting to look realistic and how much this is your very individual style of work.

For instance, the black 'hills' are so strong they come forward rather than receding into the distance and the very stormy sky belies the strong sunlight of the desert floor. BUT, you may well want this so crits saying how to make it more 'real' would not be of use to you.

One could also say that to send things back you need to make a foreground stronger - like have a really strong (detailed?) bush plant(s) where those twig plants are.

There are aspects of this I like a lot - the hot sandy desert, the colour of it, the fluidity of the paint. As a landscape, I like it!!!;) ;)

BTW - Blue's comment is just an 'in' joke at the moment - aimed at me :D

Blinkblink
02-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Well thanks Maureen. Nice of you to share your thoughts and it is helpful. Those dark mountains were the first thing painted, dividing the big white sheet in half and making the sky and foreground two connected but easily independent study attempts. And I did say, "Oh my gosh" at having mixed a blend a little darker and stronger than I though I had. But nothings worse in watercolors than to correct something so, after letting it dry a bit I was forced to charge in with a bold sky at the very least and to try and keep my late evening light that was my original intent, still a possibility. I think the foreground could have been made darker to aid in this, but then again, a further layer of dark color ( a correction) would be obvious and so I just decided to live with the fact that it will turn out just not at late in the afternoon as intended. Ha. The next attempt at this will be with one extra drink on my part, a little more gusto and bravura, I hope! Nevertheless, no one but you and I will know that I missed my mark here a little. Ha. Thanks again.

Charlie's Mum
02-03-2014, 01:06 PM
I do think the ground has that late light:)

As I say to others when giving a crit - it's YOUR painting and you can do what you like with it ........ advice/comments are given to be taken or discarded! Only my opinion/suggestion :lol:

I do know what you mean about the medium, altering can cause more probs that it solves and if you are happy with it, that's really all that matters!;)