PDA

View Full Version : Darks?

Nodosaurus
09-22-2003, 04:53 PM
I'm looking for some good dark colors to add to my collection. I'm curious as to what other people like and what they would recommend (and maybe why). I'm interested in a good selection of various hues. I remember seeing, somewhere, a set of darks being sold, I think of Sennelier pastels, but can't seem to find it anymore.

What would you suggest - brands and colors/numbers?

Dyin
09-22-2003, 06:03 PM
just soft pastels? or oil pastels too? don't forget the really great darks you can do yourself...with umbers, burnt siennas and blues and purples...you don't have to blend even...sometimes they're more exciting stroked over each other allowing the under color to show....they optically blend then...

Deborah Secor
09-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Personal favorites:

Very Tres Dunkle Dark set from Great Americans and any of the really dark ones that Diane Townsend makes--especially her dark green, which is nearly black. Also some of the darkest ones that Terry Ludwig makes.

Deborah

Mystiq
09-23-2003, 03:54 AM
Unison does a great set of darks.... Thanks to the wonderful WC! people who've told me about them! I've just bought some for myself..... and I'm completely sold on them - Just gorgeous!

Artistammy
09-23-2003, 09:32 AM
I have a set of dark Senneliers. I really like them. There is one red that is harder than the rest. It's great to have different darks. I was always wanting one before I got these.

Craig Houghton
09-23-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Mystiq
Unison does a great set of darks.... Thanks to the wonderful WC! people who've told me about them! I've just bought some for myself..... and I'm completely sold on them - Just gorgeous!

I use the Unison Darks set #1 and it's absolutely great. Iactually strap the unison box as is to the top of my plein aire pastel kit and cart it around because it's just that good. I bought it for 40 brand new plus 4 shipping or so on ebay -- so, it's out there at a good price if you look around a bit.

-Craig

chookbrown
09-24-2003, 12:30 AM
I also purchased the Unison set of darks.. very nice. But I have also used Terry Ludwig's darks and they are magnificent. You can buy them from his site at http://www.terryludwig.com

Colleen :D