PDA

View Full Version : WIP-Advice

Katie Black
01-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Hi Folks, I normally like to take my time with big paintings, but I have received a call from my Gallery for some pics of large artwork which they want to send to a customer that has bought from me before...So...I started this very recently, and I really need to try to finish it tommorow if poss.. its 51 x 51" acrylic on canvas, any input is appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2014/620452-IMG_3144.JPG

Spottters
01-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Katie - I like the colors, bottom Right especially - some of the square shapes in purple seem a bit harsher than your usual style...like it softened a bit personally.....good work as always....

Ishka Baha
01-25-2014, 05:02 PM
At first glance I would say it is looking good and second glance seconds that. I like it.

birdhs
01-25-2014, 05:41 PM
The gold in the center right could use a dab of brighterliness or contrastering.

over all I like this

greggo

davefriend
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
What a time to get advice for a rush project! Don't let panic drive you. Return customer should have reasonably high expectations so keep your standards high as usual.

For me there is a confetti twinkle thing going on in the upper to mid left side that could be interesting if the mass of undefined Yellow Ochre/green areas were developed into more of the COI.

You have a great start but it could go either way ...although with your skills ...there is probably only one way way it will go.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

trufflecat
01-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Wow, that IS a rush job. But I think it is looking good, Katie. One possible thing you could do is add some brighter yellows and oranges to the lower right gold part. I'm thinking of fire. But it's great the way it is, too. Wonderful colors as always.

artbymdp
01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
The notion of confetti as Dave mentioned makes the piece dynamic and festive. For what it is worth I wish there were some highlights (sparkle) on the edges of the "confetti". Congrats on the commission.

Katie Black
01-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks a lot..you have given me some ideas...its not a commission though, this is just one of a few images I will be sending to the Gallery, and this particular painting happens to be the right size, so that's why I need to finish it.:)

JoeZero
01-25-2014, 08:59 PM
While I am not an expert on painting like this, I am a fan of others work. Personally, I would add some black/darker contrast in or edging the yellow, or maybe some charcoal/acrylic line work like whats in your pink painting you've recently posted. Maybe some blotted/cloud-like white around running down from top into the yellow. I dunno, you're work usually impresses me regardless.

Artyczar
01-26-2014, 12:15 AM
Hi Katie. I think it's great that the gallery is asking you for some images and that you have a return patron waiting in the wings, but like Dave said, you certainly can't rush anything. I know it's not a commission, but just don't rush your work while the gallery is asking (asking, not demanding) for images and just because this one you're working on happens to be the right size.

Maybe asking for opinions from others during a time when you feel like you have to finish something quickly isn't ideal? Just a suggestion. Just another suggestion like everyone else's here. Heh.

Yeah, that's my opinion on this one. Take more time on it. It feels like it needs to breathe. :)

humanguy
01-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Hi Katie.

Perhaps you could follow James Brown's advice: make it funky.

jimwhalen
01-26-2014, 08:02 AM
I have to agree with Arty - take more time.
You have the makings of a fine painting, however I must agree with the others who mentioned that the gold area on the lower right probably could use more contrast, perhaps some darks and some highlights. But don't rush it!

Katie Black
01-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Thanks again for the advice, I agree that it needs time to "breath" I'm not going to rush it, I probably wont send it after all, I will take my time today and just see how things go.

davefriend
01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
So how is this working out for you today (I think it is your deadline?). Did you hold back on finishing or get a wave of inspiration and energy to finish it?

Katie Black
01-27-2014, 11:55 PM
So how is this working out for you today (I think it is your deadline?). Did you hold back on finishing or get a wave of inspiration and energy to finish it?

Dave, I did some work on it yesterday, and today, and tomorrow I will tweak it again, and if it looks okay then I will photograph it and send it to the Gallery (I explained I had another one to send in a day or so)...but if its not right, I will keep looking and tweaking it until its right....part of the initial problem I feel with this one is that I stopped painting at a crucial point, before I had fully figured out the composition, and then of course I had lost the momentum..

I'm glad now I didn't rush it, its never a good idea.

Katie Black
01-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Here is where I am at the moment with it...

The photo isnt great actually, its a bit blurred, but you get the idea.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2014/620452-IMG_3168.JPG