PDA

View Full Version : Texturing a Canvas

john Stenger
01-25-2014, 01:25 PM
I have been using a method for texturing my canvas that I discovered here on WC some years ago, it involves mixing Gesso and Plaster or Gesso and Tile Grout together and applying it to the canvas. But recently I read on an artists blog where my texture might later break away from the canvas if I have not used a PVA Glue in my mix as well! What I would like to know is, have any other members found this to be something to worry about.

artbymdp
01-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Plaster and grout do not tolerate temperature change or movement very well. You may find working on a canvas is not the best substrate. You may have better luck working on a stiff board material.

john Stenger
01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
So far I see no problem with my canvas's ...in fact I am thinking that something in the Gesso might be doing the job of the PVA glue that fellow was talking about! ...so possibly there is no problem!

jimwhalen
01-26-2014, 08:23 AM
There are different kinds of gesso. Acrylic gesso contains no glue, while traditional gesso contains a good amount of animal hide glue.

The adding of the PVA glue may have been referring to Acrylic gesso.

it'sALLart
01-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Fine silica sand added to either Molding paste or gesso (or a mixture of both) works very well for texture. Regular sand is a bigger grained texture and does the same as grout/plaster without worrying about movement. Both acrylic-based gesso and molding paste will flex with temperature/humidity changes. I've never had a problem with either of these in over 20 years of using them.

saje
01-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Just use plaster and add some canvas if you feel you need to. The viscous plaster will duplicate any texture you wish. Pour the plaster against a tempered glass and you will have a super smooth painting surface. You can pour the plaster against a canvas surface for a canvas surface, You may have to invest some skill training in material usage but the door is then opened.

john Stenger
01-26-2014, 12:31 PM
There are different kinds of gesso. Acrylic gesso contains no glue, while traditional gesso contains a good amount of animal hide glue.

The adding of the PVA glue may have been referring to Acrylic gesso.

Thanks Jim ...I am using acrylic gesso! ...What about the Acrylic Binders in the Gesso could that be holding it all together? I have looked over canvas I textured years ago ...and it's on there like iron! so I don't know what to think!