PDA

View Full Version : WDE 1-18 Surfacing and probably a lighthouse

Elainepsq
01-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi, I've been wanting to get back to watercolor more. I've never been good at really wet, messy watercolor, but I've recently decided I want to try it. I've been collecting small spray bottles, and an eye dropper, and I've been wanted to combine watercolor pencil drawing with wet sprays and drips and such.
So I decided that something wet and wild like this tortoise would be a good candidate.
I'd like to leave more white paper, but I fear I'd have to work much larger to do that. This is only 11"x14" I used D'arches paper, taped down to a board, which I picked up so the paint would run horizontally.

C&C always welcome, but I'd especially love to hear from anyone who works wet like this, as I need all the help I can get.

juhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2014/42008-surfacing.jpg

crispur2005
01-18-2014, 05:12 PM
The water really worked, especially above the turtle. I love that loose splashy look. Masking fluid will help with the white paper if you want to experiment a bit.I used to apply it with a toothbrush. You know a little bit sitting on top of the bristles and then just run your thumb over to make it splash on the paper. It works great for paint too.

connievanwinssen
01-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Great water!:)

Elainepsq
01-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Thank you for reminding me about the toothbrush, Christine. I remember having one in with my brushes years ago. I didn't use it much, but I was trying too hard to control watercolor. Now, I've decided to stop torturing myself by trying to control watercolor, and just enjoy the wild ride it takes me on!

Elainepsq
01-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Well, I said I can't pass up a lighthouse, and I probably should have passed on this one. Again, I started drawing with watercolor pencils, then added wet watercolor. trying to use my spray bottles to keep things loose, maybe I should have stopped soon.....It look better before it dried :(

And I thought I wouldn't do well on the turtle :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2014/42008-lighthouse.jpg

KreativeK
01-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Elaine, I love your turtle bobbing in the water with all the cool colors bouncing around. Your lighthouse looks as if you tried to control the medium more and it was wanting to break loose, lol! You've almost got two separate paintings with that one, the top and bottom, not easy to do landscapes much less a lighthouse. Maybe if you could lose some of the building's edges and leave out the lines...they work everywhere else. Just my humble opinion.

marriam
01-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Both are nice and loose, love them:)

Mary Y
01-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Nice water and you really caught that rather malevolent look I think they have. Great sky it worked well wet on wet.

Charlie's Mum
01-19-2014, 05:49 AM
Your experiments are working well Elaine - good water and lovely expression on the face!

The colour mixes in the second are very nice - the sky is good and the rocks in the foreground. The comp is the least successful part, but that may be just sticking to the ref! Object placement in real life doesn't always oblige us!:lol:

Masking fluid is worth a try but don't leave it on too long as it can lift the surface of the paper - works better on a 'hard' paper - IMHO! Learnt from experience!:lol:

rozzi
01-19-2014, 07:48 AM
I love your turtle - I would love to work wet but I struggle too control it - but I guess that is the idea lol.

Scattykat
01-19-2014, 02:31 PM
the turtles cool, wet in wet is fun, but has a mind of its own. Good work on the lighthouse :)

SusanR
01-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I like them both, love the colors.

Susan

skappy
01-20-2014, 04:54 AM
THey re both very nice Elaine you did a great job on the turtle and water, salt or alchool addition can give interesting effect too
Robert

Noula
01-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Elaine, I love your surfacing turtle showing off its beautiful colorful shell! Well done on the contrast of the head and ripples too. You're doing great with this medium Elaine....keep at it! Good job on the lighthouse......maybe you could connect it to the foreground with a cast cloud shadow.

tyree
01-20-2014, 02:22 PM
elaine....your experimenting is gorgeous...i love his head....so expressive...beautiful colours also.....tyree:wave:

Ginger Lee
01-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately my few endeavors into water color were no where near as good as your two paintings. My only comment is, like Charlie's Mum, the composition is a bit off making it look a little like the bottom and top don't go together but as she said, nature doesn't always cooperate.

bjcpaints
01-20-2014, 04:50 PM
These are both nice -the turtle is my fav!

Deano
01-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Hang in there with the wet and wild, Elaine! Coming along great!
You may be interested in watching this guy, Lian Quan Zhen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQ8ksVkU_0)
He's fantastic!

artastic
01-22-2014, 07:10 AM
I love the idea of drawing with WC pencils and applying the spray, I never think of that , but I do like to wet the paper lots and apply pigment, or apply thick wet paint and spray water to move the paint
both of these look great and masking fluid does help reserve whites, tho I don't like using it much (even tho I do)

Eye
01-22-2014, 11:33 PM
elain... Nice loose turtle... we all are keeping on trying...

Paulafv
01-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Great job on both Elaine. When the watercolor doesn't cooperate, I use pastel or gouache to rescue it - after a few times, you remember to leave more space for white. Keep on experimenting with application of paint and water. You'll be a pro in no time.

crispur2005
01-24-2014, 03:18 AM
I nearly missed your lighthouse Elaine. I think its beautiful.

oty
01-25-2014, 12:37 PM
beautiful both of them! I love the color flow in the first one!