PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 9 Jan 25 to Feb 8 Discussion

Johannes Instructor
01-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Paint Along 9 with Johannes Vloothuis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2014/135220-L-_Athabasca-Falls.jpg
Follow Johannes' steps with other students in a relaxed non formal studio environment.
Strengthen your painting skills with 4 hours of fun each Saturday from Jan 25 to Feb 8.
He will start a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch and if you want,
you will be able to complete your own art creation as well. During the class you will receive
verbal techniques, color combinations professional secrets, and instructions to guide you along
the way. If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry, the classes
will be recorded and available for download at no extra cost so you miss nothing. One demo
will be in oils, another in watercolor and another in pastels. 12 hours of top quality art instruction.
Johannes is an official instructor for the publishers of Northlight books and The Artistís Magazine
will reveal his professional secrets!

TIME? 1:00 to 5:00 PM EST.
DATES? 3 Saturdays: Jan 25 to Feb 8
HOW MUCH? $18.99
Register now: http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis

mickisew
01-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Purchased and registered this afternoon. I am anxious to get started again. Yes, Johannes, I promise to work on one of many WIP's! :)

See you soon.

Micki

Obion
01-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Hi, also Purchased and registered to-day but there was no sketch or photo you will be doing just a blank page :wave: looking forward to this session ~ Barbara NZ :-)

Johannes Instructor
01-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Hi, also Purchased and registered to-day but there was no sketch or photo you will be doing just a blank page :wave: looking forward to this session ~ Barbara NZ :-)

Give me a couple of days please.

Rosemarie
01-17-2014, 12:52 AM
The information on Northlight says we are going to use Ustream. I hope that it is just some old text and we are using Livestream, right?

Johannes Instructor
01-17-2014, 09:18 AM
The information on Northlight says we are going to use Ustream. I hope that it is just some old text and we are using Livestream, right?
Please ignore that. We use livestream.

Rosemarie
01-17-2014, 09:39 AM
I thought so but had to know. See you the 25th!

mickisew
01-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Ref photo and sketch are up. I so like this one. Also, we don't paint many vertical paintings, so it is a nice change. This will definitely be a winner!

Micki

Rosemarie
01-18-2014, 01:55 AM
Ref photo and sketch are up. I so like this one. Also, we don't paint many vertical paintings, so it is a nice change. This will definitely be a winner!

Micki
Sounds nice. Did you get a mail with the link? I haven't so far. Nor did I for the last paint along either. I find that weird. Has worked fine before and yes I have registered in GTM too. And no it isn't in my spam folder. I have a special folder for Johannes' classes and for painting.

Edit: I registered again and this time I got ported to the Student page. I didn't yesterday nor when registering for the marathon class.

Sheri Hammond
01-18-2014, 06:22 PM
missed you today Johannes Can't wait untill next Saturday

Johannes Instructor
01-18-2014, 06:56 PM
missed you today Johannes Can't wait untill next Saturday
Sherri the course begins the 25th not 18th.

mickisew
01-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Canvas gessoed, toned and drawing is on mol in pastel pencil. I am ready to go. Today was a prep day for next Saturday - tomorrow I paint on one of my WIP's. Excited to get started again. How I wish I was close to you geographically to be in studio for classes. It must be a blast - learning and laughter.

Micki

Jacdesusbielle
01-19-2014, 04:44 AM
Jo, would you toned the paper if the painting is done in pastel ?

Johannes Instructor
01-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Jo, would you toned the paper if the painting is done in pastel ?
I would buy a sheet that has a tan color.

Jacdesusbielle
01-20-2014, 03:06 AM
Thank you for your answer Jo

Artz54
01-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Looking forward to Saturday's class. Getting my canvas ready today.

Wetpaint0938
01-21-2014, 01:49 AM
I didn't get a sketch or a picture ? where is it?

Rosemarie
01-21-2014, 01:52 AM
I didn't get a sketch or a picture ? where is it?
When you registered in GoToMeeting after buying the class in Northlight you should have been "ported" to the Student page. If you missed it, like I did, register again, You'll find the link on the Northlight receipt. Make sure you wait a while when you registered. It might take some 10 seconds to get the Student page.

:wave:

Wetpaint0938
01-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Thanks I will do that I paid the first day it was offered

Sefranka
01-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Looking forward to another class..the picture looks like Athabaska Falls...a beautiful spot.

Sefranka
01-21-2014, 01:19 PM
I have been playing catch up with some of your classes and would love to hear some feedback on my efforts. However I am finding that my photos are too large. Where do I find out how to resize and save my images for posting onto this thread? Thanks!

Tonalist
01-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Sefranka.. here is a youtube video from Yorky (from here on wetcanvas)
shows how to resize your photos..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6ildup3R8

Here is another video showing how to upload your photo..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9C-3HEVu48

Hope these help..

woody

Sefranka
01-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your help...painting and posting...lots to learn!

Andrew
01-23-2014, 09:51 PM
I am interested, especially since I could actually tune in this time (the last few have always been running during hours I was on shift). How does it work? Is it media specific? Besides Livestream(?), do I need any other equipment (i.e. webcam?)?

Andrew

Rosemarie
01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Hi Andrew! Do try to join the Paint Along 9. You don't need a webcam. Only a computer that has a internetconnection on at least 1,5 Gbite. In Livestream you have to register. It is free.

mickisew
01-24-2014, 01:07 PM
I am interested, especially since I could actually tune in this time (the last few have always been running during hours I was on shift). How does it work? Is it media specific? Besides Livestream(?), do I need any other equipment (i.e. webcam?)?

Andrew
Also, if you miss any of the classes in the session or just for your benefit, we do receive a free download of each class.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
01-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Andrew
Hi Andrew I am the instructor. Hundreds of artists taking these classes cannot be wrong.

Andrew
01-24-2014, 10:51 PM
I got my link to join the sessions. But I was on the road and had to register using a mobile device and didn't get a link to the reference photo. Will it be available once the session starts?

Andrew

Rosemarie
01-25-2014, 02:07 AM
Andrew - go to Northlight and find the paint along purchase to view it. Click on the link for registering and you might have to wait 10 seconds or so and a new page will emerge. Bookmark that page because thas the one you get the photos and drawings.

Jacdesusbielle
01-26-2014, 06:54 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2014/1067432-image.jpg
My rendition of paint along Jan 25th.
Thank you Jo for another wonderful paint along. It's nice to have newbies because you repeat such useful tips I sometimes forgot to remember .... That would be useful too if you gave your checklist once again so we can write it down. I had a hard time to keep up with you with all the changes you made but it was very interesting to follow your painting mind. I think you won't like the concave shape of the right rock ..... Don't think I like it either ... I enjoyed a lot this class and the subject. Thanks for your patience, the time you take for us and the joyful temper you have all the time (not sure this is understandable English ....)

Jacdesusbielle
01-26-2014, 06:56 AM
I forgot : this is pastel on pastel La carte

mickisew
01-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Hi Jacq: Near the bottom of page 2 in this forum Dana started a Thread with Jo's Commandments reduced to 13. Copy and paste it to a document. We all need to hear and see over and over again, and Jo is so good at explaining to us "oldies" and the "newbies".

I only have a block in (transparent hues except for the background). Like you, I plan to extend the palette - and change the background. I am painting with oils and appreciate your work in pastel - I am learning the medium and have a long way to go!

You did well keeping up with Johannes - I try and then sit to listen - especially the last part of the class.

Off to paint while it is quiet.

Hugs, Micki

Johannes Instructor
01-26-2014, 10:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2014/1067432-image.jpg
My rendition of paint along Jan 25th.
Thank you Jo for another wonderful paint along. It's nice to have newbies because you repeat such useful tips I sometimes forgot to remember .... That would be useful too if you gave your checklist once again so we can write it down. I had a hard time to keep up with you with all the changes you made but it was very interesting to follow your painting mind. I think you won't like the concave shape of the right rock ..... Don't think I like it either ... I enjoyed a lot this class and the subject. Thanks for your patience, the time you take for us and the joyful temper you have all the time (not sure this is understandable English ....)
You mean the convex shape. Convex shapes give strength to rocks which is how you depicted it. Concave shapes weaken the character of rocks because they look like dents. Actually I like the rock shape on the right.

Jacdesusbielle
01-27-2014, 03:32 AM
Hi Jacq: Near the bottom of page 2 in this forum Dana started a Thread with Jo's Commandments reduced to 13. Copy and paste it to a document. We all need to hear and see over and over again, and Jo is so good at explaining to us "oldies" and the "newbies".

I only have a block in (transparent hues except for the background). Like you, I plan to extend the palette - and change the background. I am painting with oils and appreciate your work in pastel - I am learning the medium and have a long way to go!

You did well keeping up with Johannes - I try and then sit to listen - especially the last part of the class.

Off to paint while it is quiet.

Hugs, Micki

Thank you Micki. I found a gold mine in these pages, all the home work of the previous paint alongs and the famous commandments I was looking for. I put that in a special folder and won't loose it, I hope.
You are a special person near Jo because you know everything and can answer any question concerning his classes ...... and doing that rapidly and thoroughly. Thank you for your kindness .
Hugs, Jacqueline

mickisew
01-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you Micki. I found a gold mine in these pages, all the home work of the previous paint alongs and the famous commandments I was looking for. I put that in a special folder and won't loose it, I hope.
You are a special person near Jo because you know everything and can answer any question concerning his classes ...... and doing that rapidly and thoroughly. Thank you for your kindness .
Hugs, Jacqueline

Glad to be of help, Jacqueline. I try to assist Johannes when I can so he can concentrate on the art questions here in WC and during our classes.

Yes, there is a wealth of information in our forum. I can only hope that more students review, learn and enjoy.

You repay your kindness - always.

Hugs, Micki

Andrew
01-29-2014, 12:13 AM
I wasn't able to sit through the whole session. I needed to grab a few hours of shut eye prior to my shift. I am currently on nights, and last Saturday was my weekend on duty.

When will the download be ready for the first session? The link on the Student page is still inactive and says "pending".

Thanks,
Andrew

highwaykind
02-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Also off to sleep in the middle of the second section. (and replying here so I get notified of replies).

Corien

mirizar
02-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately wasn't able to join in this time but want to see everyone's work so commenting here...Hopefully I can join in next time.

Rosemarie
02-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Gosh, that is a lovely painting, Johannes. I couldn't join as I was away on a 30 years reunion. Looking forward to watch the video

Borntobeanartist
02-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Thank you for giving these classes Jon! Watercolor always has scared me! Your classes have helped me with this medium. I still have lots to learn!

Johannes Instructor
02-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Gosh, that is a lovely painting, Johannes. I couldn't join as I was away on a 30 years reunion. Looking forward to watch the video
You can still register and download the recordings.

Rosemarie
02-03-2014, 01:04 AM
That is so great with the paint alongs that one doesn't have to miss out anything!

valh
02-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for a great class Jo. =)
A couple of days after class I removed the trees from behind the hacienda (along the roof line). It looks much better this way.

And, Dorothea, if you see this.....I tried to 'fix' that right pillar without tearing down the whole porch roof. Not sure if it helped or not. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2014/40174-ValSession9-2_9025.JPG

Artsyme
02-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Has anyone received a message from Jo regarding tomorrow's class?
I was wondering what the subject will be?
Usually Jo sends out the reference photo & drawing several days before class. I've checked my files , but I don't see any new message.
Looking forward to another great class!
Janet

mickisew
02-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Has anyone received a message from Jo regarding tomorrow's class?
I was wondering what the subject will be?
Usually Jo sends out the reference photo & drawing several days before class. I've checked my files , but I don't see any new message.
Looking forward to another great class!
Janet

Janet - the reference photo and sketch are posted on the student access page.

Micki

Artsyme
02-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Micki! I found it-(didn't see it there last time I looked)

MarilynWinAL
02-08-2014, 07:14 PM
This might seem like a dumb question, but here goes anyway. :o Where do I find the "student access page"?

mickisew
02-08-2014, 07:33 PM
This might seem like a dumb question, but here goes anyway. :o Where do I find the "student access page"?

After you purchase the class you are required to complete a registration form. That is for the email list. After you submit the registration, you are directed to the student access page. This changes for each class, but you should bookmark it for the session.

You can always complete the registration form again. Go to your North Light receipt - email confirmation of your order. In red is printed To complete your registration, please visit with a link. Register again and you will be linked to the page.

Micki

MarilynWinAL
02-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the reply Miki, but I did that several times and I never received that link after registering. I have been a student for 3 years and have never had so much trouble, as in the last 3 sessions. I don't know what the problem is. I even tried again a little while ago and got the message that the class is over. I might drop out of the classes if I can't get the recordings. :( Thanks anyway. :)

Rosemarie
02-09-2014, 03:28 AM
Marylin, you have to do the registring and then sit and wait for about 10 second and the page will change to the student page. Bookmark it.

mickisew
02-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the reply Miki, but I did that several times and I never received that link after registering. I have been a student for 3 years and have never had so much trouble, as in the last 3 sessions. I don't know what the problem is. I even tried again a little while ago and got the message that the class is over. I might drop out of the classes if I can't get the recordings. :( Thanks anyway. :)

Marilyn - email Jo - private message here or [email protected] (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/[email protected]) and he will send you the link. We cannot post the link here in the forum.

Micki

PS: per chance do you use gmail? I have heard issues with this mail service.

Jacdesusbielle
02-09-2014, 11:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2014/1067432-image.jpg
Thank you again Jo for this wonderful class. Pastel is my medium so I was very happy although I am not that clever with pan pastel ... As always you gave us useful tips, I'll never be tired of listening and learning from you ! Not very satisfied with my pine trees. Could be better ....
I stopped all other workshops in France (too expensive anyway) because nobody teaches me like you do. You are the best ! Can't wait for your book

painterted
02-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks Joe, another great class.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2014/909312-P1010013.JPG

Banner
02-11-2014, 05:08 AM
I just love your water colour paintings Painterted well done

painterted
02-11-2014, 09:53 AM
thank you Banner

ted

Jacdesusbielle
02-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Lovely watercolour Ted. Bravo !

HazelP
02-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Beautiful Ted!

desthers
02-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Lovely watercolor work Ted.

painterted
02-11-2014, 02:34 PM
thank you so much jacdesusbielle, hazelp desthers.

ted

Borntobeanartist
02-18-2014, 02:42 PM
I had no electric for 6 days and thought I would miss this class! I was so glad a friend said I could stay at her house with my dog. I have electric heat and by the 6th day it was cold! I took my laptop and pastels and did your wonderful class! I just love working with Pan Pastels:clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif

Borntobeanartist
03-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Jon, the class was wonderful yesterday! I decided to use my pan pastels. I just love working with them. Thank you for offering these classes. They have helped me allot!